1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

yet another 'do i have a chance'...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by vanip, Nov 22, 2005.

1. vanip

vanip Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hey guys, i just joined yesterday and love how much advice one can get from this forum. i was wondering if anyone had any input or advice as to whether or not i have a chance at D.O.'s this year..

math/science gpa: 2.87
    non math/science gpa: 3.44
    overall gpa: 3.19

MCAT: 20
    (8 verbal/ 6 bio/ 6 physical)

i had a pretty bad first 2 years of college, so my gpa suffered alot, and i know the mcat is low too. (standardized tests have never been my thing) as far as EC's, i work in a physician's office, have shadowed two docs (one DO one MD), am on exec board of the French Honors Society here, have been in the national service fraternity, volunteer at a crisis nursery, and did research last year.. my name was authored on an abstract that will be sent in this year for publication.

so far i got a secondary from nova, which i sent in, and today i got a secondary from Western University/COMP. i applied to 13 schools total. if anyone could give me advice, i would appreciate it. thanks in advance.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mj1878

mj1878 Water good...
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm really not sure that with that low of an MCAT score. If your GPA was high to offset it (3.6 or so) then it might be possible. However, what the ADCOM will see is that you had lowish science grades and a lowish performance on the MCAT. What they are looking for is someone that, if they did poorly on science in undergrad, that there was some extenuating circumstance that prevented them from studying as much as they could have, and that they really do have the intellect to handle the science load. Mostly how they do this is by seeing a high MCAT to offset low science grades. For example, my science GPA was 2.8, but I had a 30P MCAT to offset it, and it's treated me well. Study like gangbusters for the April administration, and get 30+. That will show them that you are intelligent enough to handle the medical science load. However, that being said, if you have the finances to handle secondaries (and I would send in all 13 if you still plan on continuing in this cycle) then go ahead and do it, but also study for the MCAT in case things don't work out. Your extracurriculars are fine, but at this point the low GPA and MCAT are taking the focus away from them. Much of the process is looking good enough on paper to get your foot in the door with an interview.

Another thing that's hurting you is that you're turning in secondaries kind of late. Many of the interview slots and class seats have been given up, and interview slots are filled at least through the beginning of the year at many schools already. If you choose to continue, send in the secondaries the instant you get them, and send them via overnight mail. Then call the schools to verify that they've received them. Then don't let your app. get lost in the shuffle. Contact them periodically for "status checks" so that they have to pull it out and look at it.

Best of luck to you. By the way, if you're wanting to retake the MCAT, I highly recommend Examkrackers review books and Audio Osmosis. I used Kaplan the first time and got a 24T. With Examkrackers I actually studied less, but studied smarter. Examkrackers is great about only presenting vital info to be studied. Kaplan gives you a LOT of extraneous crap that you don't need and will waste your time studying.

4. HooahDOc

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    DO schools don't include math, so your 3.44 SGPA is good. Your cumulative isn't high enough to offset your 20 MCAT. A 6 in one section may be forgiveable, but not in two, especially with a low cumulative GPA. Is there an upward trend? Trends look almost as good as high GPAs.

Regardless, you have some work to do. Then again, someone on here got in with a 2.8. I can tell you this: I have a 3.31/3.40 and 25 (6 PS, 11 VR, 8 BS) and don't have a single acceptance.

5. Donvb

Donvb Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    3.5, 21 MCAT: three acceptances, one waitlist, still waiting on numerous applications...

6. Donvb

Donvb Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    one other thing.... CHECK THE FAQ OR SEARCH FUNCTION FOR YOUR CHANCES... thanks :rolleyes:

7. FrogE7

FrogE7 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    How many places have you interviewed at JKMed?

8. Nate

Nate Missing
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You will probably need to retake the MCAT and try again. Good luck

9. HooahDOc

Attending Physician
    Two thus far, but I also have only submitted two secondaries because of money issues and two missing LORs -- the profs just won't get around to them regardless of how much I pester them.

The first school deferred a decision with no explanation/reason. I'm thinking of asking for a re-interview; mine lasted about 5 minutes and the interviewers were obviously uninterested and ready to leave (I was the last person to interview)

The second I'm waiting to hear from. If I have to reapply, I'm getting a waiver this time.

10. HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Are you able to take out student loans?

11. FutureDocDO

FutureDocDO 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You would have a chance if you had apply early...submitting your application as soon as AACOMAS comes online. You MIGHT be able to get in this cycle who knows. You should get your secondary applications out as soon as possible. If you stand a chance anywhere it will be LECOM, UNECOM, PCSOM, WVSOM, and VCOM so pay careful attention to these secondaries. If you have any questions you can PM me. It can be done with your stats.

12. HooahDOc

Attending Physician
    Not without taking more classes, I graduated in May. I got money to do some post-bacc this semester, but my school shows no awards for the Spring.

13. drjds

drjds Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

At what schools?

14. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would try the MCAT again :eek: . You'll do better and have the benefit of having choices. Good luck. :horns: