• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

vanip

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
38
0
st. louis
Status
Pre-Medical
hey guys, i just joined yesterday and love how much advice one can get from this forum. i was wondering if anyone had any input or advice as to whether or not i have a chance at D.O.'s this year..

math/science gpa: 2.87
non math/science gpa: 3.44
overall gpa: 3.19

MCAT: 20
(8 verbal/ 6 bio/ 6 physical)

i had a pretty bad first 2 years of college, so my gpa suffered alot, and i know the mcat is low too. (standardized tests have never been my thing) as far as EC's, i work in a physician's office, have shadowed two docs (one DO one MD), am on exec board of the French Honors Society here, have been in the national service fraternity, volunteer at a crisis nursery, and did research last year.. my name was authored on an abstract that will be sent in this year for publication.

so far i got a secondary from nova, which i sent in, and today i got a secondary from Western University/COMP. i applied to 13 schools total. if anyone could give me advice, i would appreciate it. thanks in advance.
 

mj1878

Water good...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2002
655
1
42
Barnes and Noble, studying as usual.
mj1878.wordpress.com
Status
Medical Student
I'm really not sure that with that low of an MCAT score. If your GPA was high to offset it (3.6 or so) then it might be possible. However, what the ADCOM will see is that you had lowish science grades and a lowish performance on the MCAT. What they are looking for is someone that, if they did poorly on science in undergrad, that there was some extenuating circumstance that prevented them from studying as much as they could have, and that they really do have the intellect to handle the science load. Mostly how they do this is by seeing a high MCAT to offset low science grades. For example, my science GPA was 2.8, but I had a 30P MCAT to offset it, and it's treated me well. Study like gangbusters for the April administration, and get 30+. That will show them that you are intelligent enough to handle the medical science load. However, that being said, if you have the finances to handle secondaries (and I would send in all 13 if you still plan on continuing in this cycle) then go ahead and do it, but also study for the MCAT in case things don't work out. Your extracurriculars are fine, but at this point the low GPA and MCAT are taking the focus away from them. Much of the process is looking good enough on paper to get your foot in the door with an interview.

Another thing that's hurting you is that you're turning in secondaries kind of late. Many of the interview slots and class seats have been given up, and interview slots are filled at least through the beginning of the year at many schools already. If you choose to continue, send in the secondaries the instant you get them, and send them via overnight mail. Then call the schools to verify that they've received them. Then don't let your app. get lost in the shuffle. Contact them periodically for "status checks" so that they have to pull it out and look at it.

Best of luck to you. By the way, if you're wanting to retake the MCAT, I highly recommend Examkrackers review books and Audio Osmosis. I used Kaplan the first time and got a 24T. With Examkrackers I actually studied less, but studied smarter. Examkrackers is great about only presenting vital info to be studied. Kaplan gives you a LOT of extraneous crap that you don't need and will waste your time studying.
 

HooahDOc

15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
5,786
872
Status
Attending Physician
DO schools don't include math, so your 3.44 SGPA is good. Your cumulative isn't high enough to offset your 20 MCAT. A 6 in one section may be forgiveable, but not in two, especially with a low cumulative GPA. Is there an upward trend? Trends look almost as good as high GPAs.

Regardless, you have some work to do. Then again, someone on here got in with a 2.8. I can tell you this: I have a 3.31/3.40 and 25 (6 PS, 11 VR, 8 BS) and don't have a single acceptance.
 
About the Ads

Donvb

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
234
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
vanip said:
hey guys, i just joined yesterday and love how much advice one can get from this forum. i was wondering if anyone had any input or advice as to whether or not i have a chance at D.O.'s this year..

math/science gpa: 2.87
non math/science gpa: 3.44
overall gpa: 3.19

MCAT: 20
(8 verbal/ 6 bio/ 6 physical)

i had a pretty bad first 2 years of college, so my gpa suffered alot, and i know the mcat is low too. (standardized tests have never been my thing) as far as EC's, i work in a physician's office, have shadowed two docs (one DO one MD), am on exec board of the French Honors Society here, have been in the national service fraternity, volunteer at a crisis nursery, and did research last year.. my name was authored on an abstract that will be sent in this year for publication.

so far i got a secondary from nova, which i sent in, and today i got a secondary from Western University/COMP. i applied to 13 schools total. if anyone could give me advice, i would appreciate it. thanks in advance.
3.5, 21 MCAT: three acceptances, one waitlist, still waiting on numerous applications...
 

Donvb

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
234
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
one other thing.... CHECK THE FAQ OR SEARCH FUNCTION FOR YOUR CHANCES... thanks :rolleyes:
 

FrogE7

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2003
767
2
the bay
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
JKDMed said:
DO schools don't include math, so your 3.44 SGPA is good. Your cumulative isn't high enough to offset your 20 MCAT. A 6 in one section may be forgiveable, but not in two, especially with a low cumulative GPA. Is there an upward trend? Trends look almost as good as high GPAs.

Regardless, you have some work to do. Then again, someone on here got in with a 2.8. I can tell you this: I have a 3.31/3.40 and 25 (6 PS, 11 VR, 8 BS) and don't have a single acceptance.
How many places have you interviewed at JKMed?
 

Nate

Missing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2003
1,619
5
NJ > Ohio
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
vanip said:
hey guys, i just joined yesterday and love how much advice one can get from this forum. i was wondering if anyone had any input or advice as to whether or not i have a chance at D.O.'s this year..

math/science gpa: 2.87
non math/science gpa: 3.44
overall gpa: 3.19

MCAT: 20
(8 verbal/ 6 bio/ 6 physical)

i had a pretty bad first 2 years of college, so my gpa suffered alot, and i know the mcat is low too. (standardized tests have never been my thing) as far as EC's, i work in a physician's office, have shadowed two docs (one DO one MD), am on exec board of the French Honors Society here, have been in the national service fraternity, volunteer at a crisis nursery, and did research last year.. my name was authored on an abstract that will be sent in this year for publication.

so far i got a secondary from nova, which i sent in, and today i got a secondary from Western University/COMP. i applied to 13 schools total. if anyone could give me advice, i would appreciate it. thanks in advance.
You will probably need to retake the MCAT and try again. Good luck
 

HooahDOc

15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
5,786
872
Status
Attending Physician
FrogE7 said:
How many places have you interviewed at JKMed?
Two thus far, but I also have only submitted two secondaries because of money issues and two missing LORs -- the profs just won't get around to them regardless of how much I pester them.

The first school deferred a decision with no explanation/reason. I'm thinking of asking for a re-interview; mine lasted about 5 minutes and the interviewers were obviously uninterested and ready to leave (I was the last person to interview)

The second I'm waiting to hear from. If I have to reapply, I'm getting a waiver this time.
 

HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
2,586
16
The Lone Star State
Status
Attending Physician
Are you able to take out student loans?


JKDMed said:
Two thus far, but I also have only submitted two secondaries because of money issues and two missing LORs -- the profs just won't get around to them regardless of how much I pester them.

The first school deferred a decision with no explanation/reason. I'm thinking of asking for a re-interview; mine lasted about 5 minutes and the interviewers were obviously uninterested and ready to leave (I was the last person to interview)

The second I'm waiting to hear from. If I have to reapply, I'm getting a waiver this time.
 

FutureDocDO

1K Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
1,419
6
Status
Resident [Any Field]
vanip said:
hey guys, i just joined yesterday and love how much advice one can get from this forum. i was wondering if anyone had any input or advice as to whether or not i have a chance at D.O.'s this year..

math/science gpa: 2.87
non math/science gpa: 3.44
overall gpa: 3.19

MCAT: 20
(8 verbal/ 6 bio/ 6 physical)

i had a pretty bad first 2 years of college, so my gpa suffered alot, and i know the mcat is low too. (standardized tests have never been my thing) as far as EC's, i work in a physician's office, have shadowed two docs (one DO one MD), am on exec board of the French Honors Society here, have been in the national service fraternity, volunteer at a crisis nursery, and did research last year.. my name was authored on an abstract that will be sent in this year for publication.

so far i got a secondary from nova, which i sent in, and today i got a secondary from Western University/COMP. i applied to 13 schools total. if anyone could give me advice, i would appreciate it. thanks in advance.
You would have a chance if you had apply early...submitting your application as soon as AACOMAS comes online. You MIGHT be able to get in this cycle who knows. You should get your secondary applications out as soon as possible. If you stand a chance anywhere it will be LECOM, UNECOM, PCSOM, WVSOM, and VCOM so pay careful attention to these secondaries. If you have any questions you can PM me. It can be done with your stats.
 

HooahDOc

15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
5,786
872
Status
Attending Physician
HunterGatherer said:
Are you able to take out student loans?
Not without taking more classes, I graduated in May. I got money to do some post-bacc this semester, but my school shows no awards for the Spring.
 

jbone

Herro!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2005
2,274
2
Some freakin corn field in Iowa
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would try the MCAT again :eek: . You'll do better and have the benefit of having choices. Good luck. :horns:
 
About the Ads