Yet Another IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emvee1967

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Friends,
I am yet another IMG with more or less similar doubts and apprehensions.
I am asking because, thinking that every single person's case is different.
Myself a little older, 46 years, did my basis graduation and post graduate training in Orthopedics surgery from India. I am a practicing orthopedic surgeon in India.
I am a PR card holder. Given my MCCEE waiting for the results. My doubts are similar but I am writing it down.
1. What should be my strategy to get an orthopedic job in Canada? Is there any chance?
Any chance of getting residency for me. Any chance for paid or non paid fellowships in any sub specialty of Orthopedics
2. Any chance for "practice ready" option?
3. What are other options for me to work in Canada in the medical field? Like research associate or similar?
4. If I move to other remote areas will I get a job in Orthopedics, even if with out full powers, later getting full license? What are the chances?

I know it is very very very difficult to enter in to the Canadian Health system. But I want to have a try. I need a proper guidance to try in the correct path.
I have few negative points also.
I am 46 years older
In Orthopedic practice for about 15 years.
No paper/publication to my credit for the last 10 years.
Please spare some time and reply.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I would try to get a fellowship in Canada or preferably the US. While doing your fellowship or even before I got that I would write my USMLE. Even of you got very very high score in 90's you would not get into ortho but through a fellowship you will get a contact and may be have a chance getting in Ortho. yes your age is a big turning down factor as you must have graduated many many years ago. I knew a guy who has scores of 95 and 99 was doing a fellowship in Hand surgery bec he was an ortho from Andra and got in G surgery . He tried ortho but could not get in. Hewas about 29 or so.But you can have luck another guy had score of just 80 but he was doing a fellowship in USA and got in ortho residency . he was abou 32 or so then.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.8+ GPA 33+ MCAT for most of the good Canadian medical schools

On top of that you need a lot of extracurriculars that show empathy, experience in healthcare settings.