Yet another NBME 7 question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAdams

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Woman finds lump on breast, comes into clinic. Physical exam shows dimpling over mass. Mammography shows 4 cm mass over low lateral quadrant. Dimpling of skin is most likely due to traction of the tumor on which of the following structures?

a) branches of cutaneous pectoral nerves
b) lactiferous ducts
c) mammary arteries and veins
d) mammary lymphatics
e) suspensory (cooper) ligaments

I put mammary lymphatics because I thought breast dimpling meant peau d'orange which is caused by obstruction of lymphatic drainage, but this was not the answer. What exactly is this question talking about here?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the answer is suspensory ligaments. Tumor invasion of those could cause the skin to be retracted. Just my thoughts...

Woman finds lump on breast, comes into clinic. Physical exam shows dimpling over mass. Mammography shows 4 cm mass over low lateral quadrant. Dimpling of skin is most likely due to traction of the tumor on which of the following structures?

a) branches of cutaneous pectoral nerves
b) lactiferous ducts
c) mammary arteries and veins
d) mammary lymphatics
e) suspensory (cooper) ligaments

I put mammary lymphatics because I thought breast dimpling meant peau d'orange which is caused by obstruction of lymphatic drainage, but this was not the answer. What exactly is this question talking about here?

Its E-suspensory ligaments. There was actually a world question similar to this and I did the same as you-mammary lymphatics. But notice the word TRACTION. Dimpling of the skin would result from BLOCKAGE of the lymphatics. I know it seems like a small word but it actually does make a difference.

There are two questions like this in UWorld (as far as I remember). One was peau with lymphatics, the other was Cooper's ligaments.

I guessed lymphatics as well, so if that's wrong, I'm going with Cooper's, based solely on my belief in UWorld.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eddie and I are evidently going to write the same post at the same time.

SDN nerd win.

Lame, I have about 20% of UWorld left and I've only gotten the peau d'orange version of that question.

It's the cooper's ligaments one. Our anatomy professor (thankfully) drove this point home to us first year. As Eddie said, it deals with the word "traction"...blockage would suggest lymphatics for inflammatory carcinoma of the breast. Honestly, I think this sort of question should not appear on the boards, it's too subtle of a difference for us to discern with such a brief history.

It's the cooper's ligaments one. Our anatomy professor (thankfully) drove this point home to us first year. As Eddie said, it deals with the word "traction"...blockage would suggest lymphatics for inflammatory carcinoma of the breast. Honestly, I think this sort of question should not appear on the boards, it's too subtle of a difference for us to discern with such a brief history.

Yup, no question about it. Ligaments.

dipples = traction on coopers ligaments
nipple inversion = destruction of coopers ligaments

Sorry to hijack the thread.. but quick Q from NBME 7.... what was that brain picture with the big tumor growing on the side?

Sorry to hijack the thread.. but quick Q from NBME 7.... what was that brain picture with the big tumor growing on the side?

Acoustic neuroma: basically always at cerebellar-pontine angle

I thought that was a tricky one though.

Think NF-2 with these and hearing loss

Acoustic neuroma: basically always at cerebellar-pontine angle

I thought that was a tricky one though.

Think NF-2 with these and hearing loss
it was definitely tricky. I recognized the cerebellopontine angle tumor and thought back to a huge note I have written in my first aid "CEREBELLOPONTINE = CN VII or CN VIII".