Yet another nursing vs medical school thread. Help me choose!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I go MD/DO or Nursing?

• Nursing

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • MD/DO

Votes: 19 70.4%

• Total voters

NeuroDroid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there’s a billion threads like this, but hear me out. I’m a 24 year old in the process of finishing my bachelor’s in psychology (I finish in December). I have a 3.75gpa and I’m currently taking the prereqs for an accelerated nursing program but I’m having doubts. I’ve been trying to decide between medicine vs a billion other careers (nursing – including NP, PA, PT, OT, Psychologist, Neuropsych, etc) but medicine is the one thing I always compare it too. As I take my prereqs I realize that I really, really, really love science. So much so that I easily spend all day studying and enjoy pretty much every minute of it.

I currently have 3.80 in sGPA (I got a B in bio 1 because I had medical issues that semester and had to miss class often, should I repeat it?) Anyways, the one thing that keeps me from choosing medicine every time is the sacrifice involved with it. I’m a hard worker but that doesn’t mean that I want to be completely away from my family. I’m currently not married (not single) and have no children. My parents are in their late 60s and I’m afraid to miss out on their last years. I’m scared of losing myself to medicine so much that it becomes everything I am. I have hobbies I enjoy and what I hear is that I’ll have to give up everything for medicine. Which is what makes me lean towards nursing. I have no idea if I’ll be happy as a nurse but I fear I will hate the lack of knowledge (in comparison to medical doctors). I also fear, however, that I might be perfectly happy being a nurse and won’t need to be an MD/DO.

On top of all this, I feel the pressure anyone my age does. I feel like I need to have a career and work already. I feel like a failure because at 24 I still have nothing to show for it. This also makes me lean towards nursing since it’s a 12-15month program. I just don’t know what to do.

Here are my options: Finish my nursing prereqs, do nursing program, work as a nurse and later decide what I want. (I would be starting medicine at around 28+)

OR

Just take my prereqs for med school, mcat and go directly to med school and hope to god it’s exactly what I want.

P.S I don't care much about salary, that doesn't factor in my decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Your fears are overblown. Medicine can only break you if you let it. I actually had similar fears that made me waste two years and a great relationship all because I was so afraid of doing the thing I really wanted to do. And if you decide partway through that you don't want to be in residency for 80 hours a week for many years, you can always choose a more chill specialty.

Nursing sucks in a lot of ways and it'll burn you out if your heart isn't in it. If you go the NP route, you'll probably have a chip on your shoulder forever. So don't waste your time. I hate to say it, but in regard to your parents, they are going to die regardless and I guarantee if you asked them they wouldn't want you not living your life to its fullest just so you can kick around until they pass. And don't retake that B, that would be a waste of time. Your GPA is fine, just keep up the good work.

Reactions: 7 users
Your parents will probably still be in good health when you finish your residency, whatever field you choose.

Since you majored in psychology, you might like psychiatry, with is a relatively easy residency and lifestyle.

24 is still very young. It's not significantly different from 22. You'll realize that a few years from now.

You will probably still be able to pursue your hobbies if you go into medicine, but you won't have as much time for them as you do now. However, once you have a real job and a family, you will have very little time for them anyway. Medicine might leave you with even less time, but it probably won't make an appreciable difference, at least once you're done with your residency.

There are many good reasons not to go into medicine, and many people who should choose nursing over medicine. You haven't offered evidence that you fit either of those categories. I normally advise people with doubts not to go into medicine, but if the alternative is nursing, I recommend medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nursing school here in California is usually 2-3 yrs, where is this 12-15 month program?

Medicine! I don't really see them as that similar actually. If you're interested in medicine, you'll probably end up wanting to go back to it later on. 28 is fine to start med school, lots of people start late. Aim to do as well as you can so that you have a choice of med schools and can hopefully study close to your parents. The sacrifice of time is real, but lots of people do it and their families make it through.

Nursing school here in California is usually 2-3 yrs, where is this 12-15 month program?

Search for accelerated BSN's. That's the type of program I'm talking about. :)

Your fears are overblown. Medicine can only break you if you let it. I actually had similar fears that made me waste two years and a great relationship all because I was so afraid of doing the thing I really wanted to do. And if you decide partway through that you don't want to be in residency for 80 hours a week for many years, you can always choose a more chill specialty.

Nursing sucks in a lot of ways and it'll burn you out if your heart isn't in it. If you go the NP route, you'll probably have a chip on your shoulder forever. So don't waste your time. I hate to say it, but in regard to your parents, they are going to die regardless and I guarantee if you asked them they wouldn't want you not living your life to its fullest just so you can kick around until they pass. And don't retake that B, that would be a waste of time. Your GPA is fine, just keep up the good work.

Wow, thank you so much for your insight. Are you in med school? I ask since you said my fears are overblown. Thanks again!

Since you majored in psychology, you might like psychiatry, with is a relatively easy residency and lifestyle.

24 is still very young. It's not significantly different from 22. You'll realize that a few years from now.

You will probably still be able to pursue your hobbies if you go into medicine, but you won't have as much time for them as you do now. However, once you have a real job and a family, you will have very little time for them anyway. Medicine might leave you with even less time, but it probably won't make an appreciable difference, at least once you're done with your residency.

There are many good reasons not to go into medicine, and many people who should choose nursing over medicine. You haven't offered evidence that you fit either of those categories. I normally advise people with doubts not to go into medicine, but if the alternative is nursing, I recommend medicine.

Thanks for your insight! May I ask what evidence you believe is indicative of medicine and/or nursing? What I can say about myself from my experiences is that I love science, enjoy the thrill of finding out how things work, love helping others but I don't believe I'm the type to love patient care as much as nurses must. What I'm trying to say is, while I do care for others, I care more about curing or treating their disease, and less with socializing, getting to know them, and holding their hand through a tough time. (I hope I don't come off as mean, I have no problem doing any of those things).

What I can say about myself from my experiences is that I love science, enjoy the thrill of finding out how things work, love helping others but I don't believe I'm the type to love patient care as much as nurses must. What I'm trying to say is, while I do care for others, I care more about curing or treating their disease, and less with socializing, getting to know them, and holding their hand through a tough time. (I hope I don't come off as mean, I have no problem doing any of those things).

You answered your own question. However, the reality is that as a nurse, you're too busy to socialize with your patients, and as a doctor, you will get to know them quite well, even if you're a surgeon. Physicians probably get to know their patients better than nurses do, as they see them more longitudinally.

While I share your sentiments, you should express them differently.

If you are asked "why not nursing" in an interview, you can say that you're more interested in making the decisions and in understanding patho-physiology. Don't talk about "curing disease", rather say "being ultimately responsible" as physicians mostly manage, and don't cure. Don't ever say that you're not interested in hand holding or getting to know patients, as you need to do those things as a physician, and even if it's true, the med schools and interviewers don't ever want to hear that. It would be an instant rejection.

Reactions: 2 users
Search for accelerated BSN's. That's the type of program I'm talking about. :)

Wow, thank you so much for your insight. Are you in med school? I ask since you said my fears are overblown. Thanks again!

Thanks for your insight! May I ask what evidence you believe is indicative of medicine and/or nursing? What I can say about myself from my experiences is that I love science, enjoy the thrill of finding out how things work, love helping others but I don't believe I'm the type to love patient care as much as nurses must. What I'm trying to say is, while I do care for others, I care more about curing or treating their disease, and less with socializing, getting to know them, and holding their hand through a tough time. (I hope I don't come off as mean, I have no problem doing any of those things).
I'm in medical school, yes. Going to start third year soon.

@NeuroDroid If you don't mind satisfying my own curiosity, why are you getting a bachelor's in psychology aside from the fact that you find it intriguing and intellectually stimulating?

Keep in mind that you're on a pre-med website, so you're likely to get biased answers. If you're more interested in the science behind treating someone instead of the direct patient care, you should absolutely be doing medicine. Nurses will learn the basics, but they won't get the full mechanisms for why a disease presents as it does and why this medication does the job. They are there to administer the plan as prescribed by the physician. You can always consider the PA route if you're overly worried about lifestyle, but even they don't get the full background. Have you considered pharmacy? In large hospitals it's common for pharmacists to round with the teams, and even though the physician has the final say on medications, in most cases I saw they deferred to the pharmacists as being more knowledgeable about specific medications & dosages.

Bottom line: doctors (and possibly pharmacists) are the ones who really understand what's going on. Med students, residents, and physicians can and do lead perfectly happy and balanced lives.

Keep in mind that you're on a pre-med website, so you're likely to get biased answers. If you're more interested in the science behind treating someone instead of the direct patient care, you should absolutely be doing medicine. Nurses will learn the basics, but they won't get the full mechanisms for why a disease presents as it does and why this medication does the job. They are there to administer the plan as prescribed by the physician. You can always consider the PA route if you're overly worried about lifestyle, but even they don't get the full background. Have you considered pharmacy? In large hospitals it's common for pharmacists to round with the teams, and even though the physician has the final say on medications, in most cases I saw they deferred to the pharmacists as being more knowledgeable about specific medications & dosages.

Bottom line: doctors (and possibly pharmacists) are the ones who really understand what's going on. Med students, residents, and physicians can and do lead perfectly happy and balanced lives.

Thank you. I'm happy to see there is hope. I tend to read way too many forums and forget that people in them are, for the most part, angry and venting so it's not indicative of real life. I'm sure I would love the science behind pharmacy but the thought of being in an area surrounded by pill bottles under white fluorescent lights is enough to make me suicidal. (I kid, sort of). I thought of posting this on allnurses but thought I'd get biased answers over there too...I wonder if they'd recommend medicine.

You answered your own question. However, the reality is that as a nurse, you're too busy to socialize with your patients, and as a doctor, you will get to know them quite well, even if you're a surgeon. Physicians probably get to know their patients better than nurses do, as they see them more longitudinally.

If you are asked "why not nursing" in an interview, you can say that you're more interested in making the decisions and in understanding patho-physiology. Don't talk about "curing disease", rather say "being ultimately responsible" as physicians mostly manage, and don't cure. Don't ever say that you're not interested in hand holding or getting to know patients, as you need to do those things as a physician, and even if it's true, the med schools and interviewers don't ever want to hear that. It would be an instant rejection.

Thank you so much! If there's one thing I know I'll have to work on, it's interviewing skills. I'm not much of a people person.

Members don't see this ad :)
After much deliberation I decided to pursue medicine instead of nursing because I am interested in having more academic and research related opportunities than I think nurses usually get. That said, it seems to me like there's a lot of overlap. When I was a research assistant I worked closely with nurses who were assisting with clinical trials and retrospective database type research. Nurses also are much more likely to be in unions while in many hospitals doctors are considered "administration" (which... that seems like it's maybe not always a perfectly descriptive division but it's how the union calls it from what I've seen and heard.)

The book "Raising Expectations and Raising Hell" is written by an SEIU organizer who describes a bunch of labor politics stuff involving nurses in public vs. private hospitals, and how different unions treated them during and after the union drive she ran with the SEIU in Nevada. It's not about the day to day of nursing but if you have interest in labor politics at all, or might be working in nursing at a hospital or other environment that might be likely to be unionized, I think it's worth a read.

If medicine is what you compare everything to, go the medicine route. I could say more, about how you will always compare nursing/PA/whatever to medicine, how it will eventually push you to medicine anyway, how nursing =/= medicine in any way, shape or form sometimes, but you've probably already heard all that. I do have to say that nursing is an awesome lifestyle choice, if you learn to forget your love for medicine. Three 12s of physical work that just happens to involve suffering and saving lives once in a while can be exhausting but you've usually recovered by Day 2 of your four-day weekend. The lifestyle is so good - if you ignore the 36-40 hours you spend handling narcs and ice and blood and whatever else - that many nurses pick up extra shifts because the money is just that good sometimes (critical needs, hello!).

Unfortunately, when medicine beckons, it's hard not to listen, so you might as well go heed the call.

Reactions: 1 user
If your in this for intellectual stimulation, don't go to nursing. The stuff you learn will actually be interesting in school and even applying everything a year out from graduation will still be interesting if you're an avid learner. But you'll get bored. If you actually want a job that's intellectually engaging, don't pursue a career that can be obtained with an associates degree (trust me. I made this mistake).

Ever considered getting a psyd/Ph.D.? There's the intellectual stimulation for you without the sacrifices of residency etc. The way you talk, it seems like you'd be happier in research.

Plenty of people can be doctors, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. You kind of need to be a masochist who can't see doing anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your in this for intellectual stimulation, don't go to nursing. The stuff you learn will actually be interesting in school and even applying everything a year out from graduation will still be interesting if you're an avid learner. But you'll get bored. If you actually want a job that's intellectually engaging, don't pursue a career that can be obtained with an associates degree (trust me. I made this mistake).

Ever considered getting a psyd/Ph.D.? There's the intellectual stimulation for you without the sacrifices of residency etc. The way you talk, it seems like you'd be happier in research.

Plenty of people can be doctors, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. You kind of need to be a masochist who can't see doing anything else.

Thanks for your suggestion. I actually dislike research. Or rather, I don't mind assisting but god forbid I ever have to come up with and create another research project. That was a nightmare. It's not as interesting as it sounds...it's more annoying than anything else. lol. That's just my opinion, of course. I only enjoyed sitting down and finding all the research papers I needed and reading them. Everything else, I'd like to never do again if I can help it. Haha.

As an ICU RN, I'll say right now thatI have MUCH more contact with my patients than any physician does. Most physicians are in and out of the room in <5 minutes. Surgeons? Lol they talk to patients?

As an ICU RN, I'll say right now thatI have MUCH more contact with my patients than any physician does. Most physicians are in and out of the room in <5 minutes. Surgeons? Lol they talk to patients?

This post is great for understanding how nurses think. Apparently, you think that when you don't see a surgeon, it's because she's out playing golf, or maybe a few sets of tennis?

Typically, half of a surgeon's time is in the OR, and the other half is in the office. All that time in the office is spent talking with my patients and their families. I talk to them before surgery, and I talk to them after surgery. I get to know them. I talk about prognosis, treatment, goals. I will often see patients for long term 6 month or 1 year follow-ups. They come by the office to say hello. They come back with new problems, or come in with family members so I can operate on them. Yes, "lol", we talk to our patients. A lot.

The typical floor nurse might have 10 patients and runs from room to room. Patients don't even know who their nurse is.

An ICU nurse might have a ratio as low as 1 to 2 or 1 to 3, but in the ICU, half your patients are intubated and the others are sedated. By the time most of them are lucid, most of them have transferred out of the ICU and never see them again.

I love nurses. Most of them are great, and I couldn't do my job without them. But I know my patients better than the nurses do. That might be different if it's a medical patient cared for by a hospitalist.

Reactions: 5 users
This post is great for understanding how nurses think. Apparently, you think that when you don't see a surgeon, it's because she's out playing golf, or maybe a few sets of tennis?

Typically, half of a surgeon's time is in the OR, and the other half is in the office. All that time in the office is spent talking with my patients and their families. I talk to them before surgery, and I talk to them after surgery. I get to know them. I talk about prognosis, treatment, goals. I will often see patients for long term 6 month or 1 year follow-ups. They come by the office to say hello. They come back with new problems, or come in with family members so I can operate on them. Yes, "lol", we talk to our patients. A lot.

The typical floor nurse might have 10 patients and runs from room to room. Patients don't even know who their nurse is.

An ICU nurse might have a ratio as low as 1 to 2 or 1 to 3, but in the ICU, half your patients are intubated and the others are sedated. By the time most of them are lucid, most of them have transferred out of the ICU and never see them again.

I love nurses. Most of them are great, and I couldn't do my job without them. But I know my patients better than the nurses do. That might be different if it's a medical patient cared for by a hospitalist.

They don't know who their nurse is? That's interesting, given that patients often come in after their stay to say hi to particular nurses that took care of them.

From one critical care nurse to another, you will be better off working on that chip on your shoulder if you are intending to go into medicine. It will not bode well for you in your interviews if you exhibit any bitterness towards your coworkers (including physicians).

OP. if you truly love science I would not recommend nursing. While you would be able to experience the immense gratification of serving patients, you would always wonder what you don't know.

Last edited:
From one critical care nurse to another, you will be better off working on that chip on your shoulder if you are intending to go into medicine. It will not bode well for you in your interviews if you exhibit any bitterness towards your coworkers (including physicians).

See my last post....not knocking anyone

Humor doesn't travel well on the Internet.....my point was that I sometimes have the same two patients and get to know them for five days in a row (no, not all of them are vented/sedated). I def didn't mean to knock your profession (we love our surgeons) but there is a certain type of familiarity that develops over multiple 12 hour shifts at the bedside. That time invested plays a role in how well you know your patient.

Five 12 hour shifts in a row? Lmao yeah okay

I'm beginning to discover that based on confessions by all the nurses in this thread, it's safe to say that nursing isn't a type of medicine, but rather a unique arcane field of the healing arts that has gone unnoticed within medicine this entire time.

I'm beginning to discover that based on confessions by all the nurses in this thread, it's safe to say that nursing isn't a type of medicine, but rather a unique arcane field of the healing arts that has gone unnoticed within medicine this entire time.

I wouldn't say that. Nurses are very knowledgeable. They practice medicine albeit a very, very limited form of it in comparison to medical doctors. (the whole "nursing perspective vs medical perspective is a bunch of theoretical bs, in my opinion) I don't believe one is better than the other, hence why I'm choosing between the two. I do believe, however, that when it comes to sheer medical/scientific knowledge the physician will always, in any situation, know more than the nurse. And that's what I fear will bother me in the future. But nurses are awesome and indispensable.

Not sure why this is so unbelievable, since nurses and other healthcare workers do it routinely where I work (large incentives for picking up extra). My charge nurse just came off of a 10 day stretch of 12 hour shifts before he went on vacation.

Happens a lot. I don't know why everyone on these boards thinks docs have a monopoly on working like crazy.

Reactions: 1 user