Yet another question for those >240....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mountainman123

So, I have come upon a question for those that did really well on Step 1. I am contemplating Ortho vs. Neurosurg and I was talking to the residency director for Ortho the other day and he told me to NOT take Step 2 until after I interview everywhere because my score can only go down and not many schools require Step 2 scores to apply if you did extremely well on Step 1. So how many of you have heard this and what are your plans for taking Step 2?

Members don't see this ad.

No way, no how.

Well, okay MAYBE if there's a program that I'm very interested and they DEMAND to have a Step II score before they'll consider me, I'll bust my hump and try to rock another good score to get in. But otherwise, no.

It's a gamble with a lot to lose and very little to gain.

Members don't see this ad :)
The way I look at it, if I'm gonna learn the material well enough for my shelf exams, might as well remember it just as well for step 2.

Plus, I felt I coulda done better on step 1 had I kept calm and studied properly prior to the exam - I'm not gonna make those mistakes twice.

So what do you consider "late as possible"?

Also, does anyone think that it hurts you if the residencies dont have your score when they rank you?

Literally, as late as my school will let me take it --- I believe the deadline is in December.

damn i was thinkin of takin step two like a month or two right outta third year thinking i could possibly beat step 1......our deadline's december now im starting to wonder if i should just wait? it jus sounds nice getting it all overwith!

damn i was thinkin of takin step two like a month or two right outta third year thinking i could possibly beat step 1......our deadline's december now im starting to wonder if i should just wait? it jus sounds nice getting it all overwith!

Did you get like a 250? If so you shouldn't.

These days, residencies are looking for minimum 525+ combined step 1 + step 2.

I am going to wait as long as I can. I know I won't put the same effort into step 2 as I did for step 1, and I don't want to have to juggle that in an interview. Also, for the OP, are you looking into spinal surgery?

no lower 240s actually.....which is why i thougth i could possibly top it i dont know prob dumb thinkin and i'll kick myself for it if i bother takin step 2 early

Agree with most above - take it late. I got a 244 step 1 (solid, but not astronomical) and I took step 2 in Feb. We just had to pass it before graduation so I know people who even took it in March. There was no way I was going to risk going down on step 2 - just not worth it. I did not run into any programs on interviews that even asked about step 2 or why I hadn't taken it - no one cared.

I did, only because my school made me.

I imagine most of the people on this thread will do very well on it. It's easier and more predictable. But there still isn't a good reason for them to take the risk.

anyone considering taking a year off for research after 3rd year? is it still a good idea to postpone step 2?

because my score can only go down

actually, people tend to do better in step 2 compared to step 1 (average is 225 compared to 217-218), just check out the step 2 scores thread. so unless u "maxed out" in step 1, ur step 2 score might actually be more impressive.

oh, and im planning to taking step 2 as soon as i get done with my basic rotations which, luckily, is in february of 4th year.

I think of taking step 2 early with a very solid step 1 score in the bag as taking a rather large risk for little possible benefit, something which I believe is discouraged in medicine.