Yet Another Shadowing Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TooMuchResearch

i'm goin' to Kathmandu...
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What type of shoes do people typically wear while shadowing? I'll be shadowing in a hospital wearing the standard pants, shirt, and tie; but polished dress shoes seem a little excessive...or aren't they?

Members don't see this ad.

Lol I just wore some Nikes and some scrubs. This is of no help, but I thought I'd chime in. I feel you though, I hate feeling overdressed... can you email the doc?

Members don't see this ad :)
What type of shoes do people typically wear while shadowing? I'll be shadowing in a hospital wearing the standard pants, shirt, and tie; but polished dress shoes seem a little excessive...or aren't they?

When I shadow, I wear a shirt and a tie. I also wear dress shoes. I think patients are a lot more comfortable with you following the doctor around if you look professional.

If you wanna look like a grown ass man then no, not excessive at all.

being overdressed, especially in a professional setting, is always better than being underdressed. Dressing professionally will help patients feel more at east with your presence there. Also, dress shoes aren't really that dressy. Just wear em. It's not like they have to be so polished that they're reflective or anything.

If you wanna look like a grown ass man then no, not excessive at all.

Aside from athletic shoes, I own one pair of black dress shoes and one pair of brown semi-casual (conservative looking) shoes. Since I don't actually own a nice shirt or pair of pants at the moment, I'll have to go buy them (and whatever happened to my only tie?)...I didn't want to end up buying clothes to match black shoes and then end up wearing brown.