YOG calculation??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pppboy2

Reaction score
Can anyone precisely explain me how YOG is calculated?

I appeared on July, 2017. Result publication date is 22 November 2017. If I apply in 2021 September, how are they gonna calculate my YOG gap?

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone precisely explain me how YOG is calculated?

I appeared on July, 2017. Result publication date is 22 November 2017. If I apply in 2021 September, how are they gonna calculate my YOG gap?
Each school will likely do their own thing, but I imagine most would say you graduated 4 years prior. That's a long gap, but if you've been working as a doctor in your home country and your USMLEs are strong you'll have a chance.

Each school will likely do their own thing, but I imagine most would say you graduated 4 years prior. That's a long gap, but if you've been working as a doctor in your home country and your USMLEs are strong you'll have a chance.
Thank you very much for the reply.
I had to do 1 year internship in my home country as it is mandatory to get license to practice. Since then I have been working as a post graduate trainee in a tertiary hospital in my country. Now preparing for step 1. How should I proceed?

Thank you very much for the reply.
I had to do 1 year internship in my home country as it is mandatory to get license to practice. Since then I have been working as a post graduate trainee in a tertiary hospital in my country. Now preparing for step 1. How should I proceed?
That's an incredibly broad question. Basically, the two most important things are going to be 1) your USMLE score, and 2) getting US clinical experience. If you don't do well on these two things, nothing else matters.

Beyond that, there are a number of threads with good advice for foreign medical graduates. Rather than repeat some of that advice here, I'd peruse the forums to find some relevant threads.

That's an incredibly broad question. Basically, the two most important things are going to be 1) your USMLE score, and 2) getting US clinical experience. If you don't do well on these two things, nothing else matters.

Beyond that, there are a number of threads with good advice for foreign medical graduates. Rather than repeat some of that advice here, I'd peruse the forums to find some relevant threads.
Thanks again for the reply. This forum is a lot bigger than I can grasp. Could you please give me a link to such posts or point me what should I write in the search box? Thanks again.

Thanks again for the reply. This forum is a lot bigger than I can grasp. Could you please give me a link to such posts or point me what should I write in the search box? Thanks again.
I'm saying that the process of applying as an FMG is complicated and can't be answered neatly in a single post or thread. Nobody is going to be able to walk you step-by-step through this or respond adequately to "How should I proceed?" There's just not going to be a substitute for spending an hour or so to grasp the basic information, and then you can come back with more specific questions that can be answered directly.

As I said, excelling on the USMLEs and obtaining US clinical experience (USCE) are the most important parts of your application. You can start by searching for "FMG USMLE" and FMG USCE"