You Americans have it easy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not sure how much more you could lesson the pain...you already live in Canada...

But no, that's OK - go ahead and start insulting Osteopathic Physicians.
ummm not sure how I insulted DO's. I'm just yes, jealous, that you guys can get into med school with a 3.5 and a 25 MCAT while I'm here in Ontario with a 3.8 and a 35, but 10VR, bracing myself for all pre-interview rejections

Members don't see this ad.

ummm not sure how I insulted DO's. I'm just yes, jealous, that you guys can get into med school with a 3.5 and a 25 MCAT while I'm here in Ontario with a 3.8 and a 35, but 10VR, bracing myself for all pre-interview rejections

You can make that work in Canada with some time, but read the rest of this thread. 3.8 in the Canadian grading scheme =/= 3.8 for Americans.
And there's no need to be jealous, you can apply to US DO schools as a Canadian! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
You can make that work in Canada with some time, but read the rest of this thread. 3.8 in the Canadian grading scheme =/= 3.8 for Americans.
And there's no need to be jealous, you can apply to US DO schools as a Canadian! :D
is it out of 4 still? thats different

They are both out of 4.0 but the American scale decreases much more rapidly with letter grade. There's a reason that SDN isn't flooded with 3.95+ GPAs like premed101 is, and it's not that Americans are dumber.

A 3.8 with a 35 MCAT still allows you to be competitive if you have a strong EC record. I had a 3.8 with a 32 MCAT and I still got an interview.

The fact that you're being so pessimistic and venting on a US forum (like wtf?) shows you still have some growing up to do. Just like CA residents, ON residents have it tough in province to get into medical school... you gonna let that stop you or are you gonna do something about it?

Also in terms of grading the US doesn't take years off or remove courses, so weak classes still remain, keeping GPA down. The letter scaling is also different with a faster depreciation rate (NotASerialKiller mentioned this).

If you earned your place as a physician, you will get in eventually... it's a matter of time.

Reactions: 1 user
They are both out of 4.0 but the American scale decreases much more rapidly with letter grade. There's a reason that SDN isn't flooded with 3.95+ GPAs like premed101 is, and it's not that Americans are dumber.

Yo I just wanted to say best of luck on your applications man. Represent that premed101 forum success =D. If you need any help hit me up on that forum.

Move to Alberta for 1 year before they change that rule ;) Couple of my friends did this to get in-province status. Ontario is downright insane in terms of competitiveness despite having so many schools. I think BC is also easy to get in-province status but not sure.

Well hopefully "Toronna" works out!

Yo I just wanted to say best of luck on your applications man. Represent that premed101 forum success =D. If you need any help hit me up on that forum.

Haha thanks. We all need as much luck as possible in the med school lottery.

edit: @torontopharm he would have to retake his 35 though. Both Alberta schools already not accepting the old MCAT, which is insane considering I wrote it under a year ago :(

You guys are totally ignoring the fact that Canadian schools calculate your GPA in metric.

Also...

enhanced-1226-1438270644-1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Haha thanks. We all need as much luck as possible in the med school lottery.

edit: @torontopharm he would have to retake his 35 though. Both Alberta schools already not accepting the old MCAT, which is insane considering I wrote it under a year ago :(

Yeah I admit I was definitely a luckier one (my story is on the non-traditional success story forum), but for someone that has the capabilities of being a physician, the more times you enter the draw (either applying to multiple schools or years) the better your chances of one acceptance. For strong candidates, the luck is on your side.

Eh I'm always a bit uncomfortable when people move around for in prov status, but hey some people want to play the game so that's their prerogative.

Our letter grades are very different from your system. It does not give you as much wiggle room as your English-based system does. Learn this already