You Guys Will Hate Me..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneWizzle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know people might have asked this before, and I did search around, I just have my own version of the question - and I'd appreciate it if I could get some answers.

I am in Community College working on my general education classes, but am very interested in Pharmacy. My problem is I'm not great at Math, nor am I good at the Sciences. I could probably get by most classes with satisfactory grades. I haven't taken any Phsyics classes, or Calculus, to know how I'd do in them, but I can tell you now, those classes aren't my thing.

What I'm asking is, do you think, although I'm not good at these courses, that I'd have a shot at Pharmacy? I'm not trying to say, will I make it if I never study. Will I make it if I put in effort and study as hard as possible? Some people say you can't do it if it's not in you to be good at those subjects. Others say it's not that difficult and if you study enough, you'll do fine. Is the undergrad courses and Pharmacy school as difficult as it's made out to be? Or will I be fine and survive through it if I put in enough work?

Thank you for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

While I certainly don't think it's impossible, I'm not quite sure why you would want to get into pharmacy if you aren't good at math or science. Math will be inescapable for the rest of your life. And every pharmacy principle is science based.

It's like a person saying color & texture aren't really their thing and they aren't very good at space planning, but they really want to be an interior designer.

My advice- find out what you are good at. You seem young from your post. Life's too short to venture into a field that will be a lifelong struggle.

I'm almost 20.

I do have other interests, yes, but Pharmacy is something I've always been interested in. I don't want to look back and regret not trying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say go for it and don't question. Only you can tell from experience. You may surprise yourself.

The solution is very easy.

Goto your local Barnes & Nobles. Buy Pre-Algebra, Basic Chem & Bio. Stop going out. Stay home and read 12 hours/day.

*Start with Pre-Algebra since you stated that you are weak in Math.

I am in your same boat so don't be so worried. I am a pre-pharmacy student going to community college and am just about to start my undergrad classes.

You have to think to yourself if it really is possible to fail something that you put forth 100% effort? It may be hard in the begining but if you put in the time you will make it. If you give it your all you will become a GREAT pharmacist. You should jump into it with the knowledge that you will be spending the next 5-6years of your life in school learning all about math and science, and then the rest of your life working with it.

-Matthew

go for it...you WILL put the effort into it if you really want to and it CAN be done. i got C's and B's in my general ed classes at community college, A's and B's in my science classes at community college, and all A's in my upper division science classes at the university.

as for math...my overall math GPA is a 2.0, but my chem and bio GPA's are higher--math won't stop me from applying to pharmacy school

Thanks for the replies.

I've been considering it a lot ever since I met my girlfriend. She's in the same situation as I am, same age. She's determined to go all the way. I just might go and get some books, spend time and effort, and see what happens. I have to take Biology in the Fall for general ed, and a couple of other Science classes anyway. It'll show me if I can do it.

I flunked physics and calculus in high school. I dropped physics in my first year of college out of high school. It was incomprehensible. Twenty years later, I approached both classes with trepidation while doing my pre-reqs. I got A's in them. The difference was the level of motivation and enough self-confidence to just dive in and get through it.

I'd say though that an aptitude for and interest in science is going to be critical for keeping motivation high and increasing chances of success. But that's just my opinion.

its different if you are not good at science or math than it is if you dont like science or math...

which is it?
if it is the former, than it can be overcome if it is really what you want to do. make it fun. make it a fun challenge for you to conquer. let me tell you, i didnt even pass the AP Chemsitry exam in high school, but I did fine in the college class. (I even got a B in organic II!). High school is different than college...much different. maybe a college professor can drive the point home more. and if you like science and math, even though it may be challenging for you, you should enjoy learning.

if it is the latter, then i would reccomend another major. if you dont like what your profession is immersed in, well then it is common sense...

best of luck to you!

I think a lot of pharmacy schools require a 2.5-3.0 GPA or higher to get into a school. If you don't feel you can achieve that at a community college then you might be better off spending that time with another profession to be brutally honest. Simply because 2.5-3.0 GPA isn't very impressive even from a difficult top tier 4 year university and so your chances of getting into a school may become very very slim unless you have the time to boost your extracurricular and PCAT score significantly above average.

Members don't see this ad :)
No PCAT, since I'm in California and do not plan on moving.

Bad thinking. Due to the competitive nature of pharamcy many/most people have to apply to a variety of schools. If you select just CA schools, you may find yourself reapply for years. A word of advice that you'll get used to hearing from current pharmacists and admissions officers is, "open yourself up to relocating. Don't limit yourself, or you may be disappointed."

You're right. I don't care about that, I'd move for school.

I know people might have asked this before, and I did search around, I just have my own version of the question - and I'd appreciate it if I could get some answers.

I am in Community College working on my general education classes, but am very interested in Pharmacy. My problem is I'm not great at Math, nor am I good at the Sciences. I could probably get by most classes with satisfactory grades. I haven't taken any Phsyics classes, or Calculus, to know how I'd do in them, but I can tell you now, those classes aren't my thing.

What I'm asking is, do you think, although I'm not good at these courses, that I'd have a shot at Pharmacy? I'm not trying to say, will I make it if I never study. Will I make it if I put in effort and study as hard as possible? Some people say you can't do it if it's not in you to be good at those subjects. Others say it's not that difficult and if you study enough, you'll do fine. Is the undergrad courses and Pharmacy school as difficult as it's made out to be? Or will I be fine and survive through it if I put in enough work?

Thank you for any help.

The physics and calculus thing shouldn't really be an issue. However, I would find it more of a concern if you find that you struggle with chemistry and biology. I just finished my p1 year, and I thought it was MUCH more important to understand the bio and chemistry well, as opposed to the math/physics side, even though all were pre-reqs.

I'm almost 20.

I do have other interests, yes, but Pharmacy is something I've always been interested in. I don't want to look back and regret not trying.

Get older.

I was in your shoes when I was 18. Hated math...chemistry...biology...everything.

So in the meantime I got a Marketing degree. Now that Im 24 - wowzers, its actually *gasp* fun! I loved my Bio prereqs and showing Chemistry who the boss is entertaining.

Dont force yourself into something....especially because your girlfriend is doing it. Find something you enjoy to do in the meantime....and get your AA out of the way.

I understand that, and I'm not doing this for my girlfriend. I was very interested in this when I was younger, and am seriously considering it now. As I said, I'll see what happens when I take my Bio and Chem classes for my general ed. I'l see how I handle it.

I was just wondering, because I doubt all pharamacists are ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIC at Chemistry and all the other courses it requires. I'm sure a lot of you hate a certain class, but put up with it because you have to. And I know some of you might not be a good at a certain class, but pulled through it.

But you said you're not good at any of the sciences? You do need to have an interest in and be good at science regardless. Would you want to go to a medical physician who really wasn't good at science? Or any other professional who wasn't good at the basic, main component of their job???

I agree with the other posters... A wise person once told me that if you're in a field and you find yourself studying all the time, doing everything you can, and still making mediocre grades, perhaps you're in the wrong field.

That said, you should at least try if it's something you're interested in. Maybe get some experience working in a pharmacy. MOST of the math that you use is very basic algegra, and you may need some applied knowledge of statistics. I can't say taht I enjoyed chemistry, and I'll vouch that I despised physics (not that you will use it), but now that I'm going back and looking at it all again, it's much more interesting. I'm taking a Medical Based Anatomy and Physiology course this semester that integrates everything and it's truly fascinating!!!

Best of luck to you in your studies!!!

But you said you're not good at any of the sciences? You do need to have an interest in and be good at science regardless. Would you want to go to a medical physician who really wasn't good at science? Or any other professional who wasn't good at the basic, main component of their job???

Well, honestly, the only science courses I took were the ones in HS, and we all now how different those are. But then again, I cared SO LITTLE about HS, I never tried to do well. Perhaps now that I am motivated, I might enjoy these science classes. I can't say I hate them or that I am not good at them, because I haven't taken any major ones.

As I said, I'll see what happens when I take my Bio and Chem classes for my general ed. I'l see how I handle it.

Are you just testing to see if you will do good in Bio and Chem this coming Fall? If I were you I wouldn't take those 2 yet. Unless you start reading now about Bio & Chem and get real familiar with it before Fall classes starts. Because If you are just "testing" and if you get a low grade, the low grade stays with you permanently. You want to make sure you do as well as possible the first time around because of the competitiveness of the admission to the Pharmacy program. That's just my advice...

Hey. I believe you have a shot at pharmacy if you really really want it. I've noticed that a lot of my friends were confused about what to do but once they made up their mind, they're in.

Now you mentioned not being very good in science/math; that can be fixed no problem. I used to struggle through first year calculus and didn't fully understand half of it, but I put in an insane effort into it. 3-5 hours of sleep plus a full course load with other classes on most days. (I think it's worth it)

My suggestion is if pharmacy is what you want to do then go for it and make sure you can handle the pressure of studying for long hours. Effort will go a long way! :smuggrin::thumbup:

Good luck

Do I have this right?

I am in Community College now, and if I want to pursue Pharamcy, I must finish my generals at the school I am in now, start taking my major courses here, then transfer to University. I will have to get my Bachelors, in what I would want, Biochemistry. Then after Uni, transfer to Pharmacy school? Do we have to get a BS before transfering to Pharm school or how does that work?

It would be good to get your general ed out of the way at the community college, then transfer to a university and take your pre-reqs there if possible. That's what I'm doing at least.

A degree isn't required but the large majority of those admitted have one. You don't need to have a certain major either, as long as the pre-reqs are done, and those vary by the school.

Well, the pre-reqs I would take would be those required for the major of Biochemistry, no?

You can take your prerequisite classes at any college or university. You must apply to pharmacy school; one doesn't automatically transfer in if they have taken the prerequisites (unless you are at a university where they have an automatic admittance program, which are very few). You must also take the PCAT for any schools that require it. It's basically similar to the medical school process (do prerequisites at any school, take the MCAT, apply, interview, etc).

I'd suggest visiting an admissions counselor at a university where they have a pharmacy program you may consider applying to. They can sit down and explain the process of getting in to their particular pharmacy school, which classes, where they can be taken at, etc.

Undergrad major in biochem, when you're not 'good' (as you stated) at the sciences???? I'd take college-level general bio and general chem before you settle on a major.

Find what you are truly, truly passionate about, because you'll be doing it for the rest of your life. :)

Are you from overseas? UK, perhaps?

Oh, to answer your question, pharmacy school prerequisites and your undergrad prerequisites are completely different. As well, each pharmacy school is completely different, and you'll need to check at each school you apply to to find out which classes you will need for admittance in to that particular pharmacy program.