"You have too much research experience"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, has anyone else ever gotten this comment?

I honestly don't understand it... I do have a lot of research experience, but that's because I can do it, I (alledgely) do it well, I feel that ALL my research experience has somehow made me a better researcher, psuedo-clinician, student, and TA, I want to be well prepared for graduate school, and I honestly ENJOY it.

It's not as if research is the only thing I do, either--I have clinical experience, teaching/TAing experience, related non-clinical volunteer work, non-related non-clinical volunteer work, I'm in a sorority, etc., so I'm really, really not sure what this comment means. I asked for clarification and didn't really get any, asked if it was related to the quality of my work and was told no, so... Any thoughts?

Is there a thing as "too much" research experience?:confused::confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Unless they think your interests aren't focused enough, I don't think anyone who interviews you will feel that way. ;)

It certainly makes no sense to me, unless what they really meant was 'not enough clinical experience,' although even that wouldn't particularly make sense.

I've been told that my publications actually hurt my chances (at some programs, anyway) because they were in a different topic than my current interests. Which I think is completely ridiculous. It's not like me knowing about some other topic takes up so much space in my brain that I can't know something about some other topic.

To me, the 'too much research' comment sounds suspiciously like 'too many notes.'

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you need to read between the lines. Sounds to me like either they are implying that you haven't spent enough time on clinical practice or they are worrying that you won't fit into a program that isn't so research focused (hence are likely to want transfer and feel badly about their program). Maybe some combination of both. I'd apply to research focused programs if you can...

Franklin,

Did you also have work in your area of interest?

While I'll have/I have work in a lot of different areas, I have well-defined research interests and can tie most of my work into them (I'm applying to mostly school psych programs--some clinical/counseling--with an interest in disability as multicultural psych, specifically resiliency/adaptation. I will have done a lot of work in multicultural education psych [specifically adjustment and resiliency) , disability psych, and some multicultural child psych, so I think I draw a good connection between education, multiculturalism, and disability in an interest in multicultural disability psych).

The only strong outlier I may have as a substance abuse project, but that's tied directly into my clinical work (substance abuse intervention for UGs). My clinical work is somewhat limited by the fact that I am an undergraduate, but it's *very* clinical for an undergraduate, and I'll also have volunteer experience with children and work relating to disability and education. So, I think I can "sell" my work with a focus fairly well and the fact that I have a disability may help with that as well.

Thanks all.

Franklin,

Did you also have work in your area of interest?

While I'll have/I have work in a lot of different areas, I have well-defined research interests and can tie most of my work into them (I'm applying to mostly school psych programs--some clinical/counseling--with an interest in disability as multicultural psych, specifically resiliency/adaptation. I will have done a lot of work in multicultural education psych [specifically adjustment and resiliency) , disability psych, and some multicultural child psych, so I think I draw a good connection between education, multiculturalism, and disability in an interest in multicultural disability psych).

The only strong outlier I may have as a substance abuse project, but that's tied directly into my clinical work (substance abuse intervention for UGs). My clinical work is somewhat limited by the fact that I am an undergraduate, but it's *very* clinical for an undergraduate, and I'll also have volunteer experience with children and work relating to disability and education. So, I think I can "sell" my work with a focus fairly well and the fact that I have a disability may help with that as well.

Thanks all.

i also have work in 3 different areas, but it's really only because things came along my way and I did not want to refuse them.

so i have stuff in a psychobiology lab, clinical hospital program, and I am hoping to do a project in social-abnormal field this summer.

I think a lot depends on what kinds of programs you applied to. I applied to a lot of balanced programs b/c I am fairly evenly balanced in my interests -- wanting to do clinical work but also have a research dept in the program I would be running and essentially run everything back through continuous research. I also will likely want to do a little teaching on the side at some point just for the joy of it (maybe at a community college or as an adjunct at a university). As a result, I applied to schools like Wayne State, Loyola U, and Texas Tech, and at interviews I heard a lot of comments like, "you have so much research experience but why do you want to attend such a clinical program as ours?" I have 2 years of solid research experience (including PI on 2 projects -- w/ 1st author conference presentation at APS National w/ an upcoming publication as 1st author in an area only very loosely related to my area of interest and a pilot study for a possible dissertation topic that is currently in progress, and a lower author credit on 2 other projects directly related to my interest area) but I also have 4 years of clinical experience (first 2 were volunteer with young adults, the 3rd was an internship with my population of interest -- child/adolescent -- and the 4th is a combination of work w/ ASD kids, residential work, and case management -- all with youth). As a result, I found their comments interesting as you evidently did. My guess would be that it mostly depends where you applied. If you're getting those comments at "4-balanced" schools (per the insider's guide) as I did, then perhaps next app cycle (if you have to reapply), it'd be a good idea to apply to "5s" and even a few "6s" as well as a few more "4s."

Actually, I got the comment from a professor at my UG school (current junior), which has an allegedly balanced (4) clinical program, though I've had different professors emphasize either the clinical or research aspects of the program. ( I plan on applying to the school psych phd but not the clinical program here).

I'm somewhat hampered in the type of clinical work I can do as a non-psychologist, as I can't work in residential setting, as a psych tech, etc., due to my disability, but I will have two years of clinic work in one area (where my work is actually *extremely* clinical for an UG) and one area of work in another, so I've definitely tried in that area. Also, some of research work has been more clinical (i.e., running participants through neuropsych assesments, etc.).

Admittedly, my application is more focused towards research, but it kind of has to be given my circumstances (that, and I really *do* enjoy research--I enjoy clinical work as well, of course, and can see myself having a career primarily as clinician, perhaps with some research "on the side" as circumstances allow).

Wow. That's frightening. To what kinds of programs did you apply? Have you gotten an acceptances?

Primarily research-oriented programs, and yes, I do have an acceptance to a PhD program- but with only a tiny bit of funding. So I am actually considering declining and trying again next year. Because I'm insane.