You know you are a gunner when...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swifteagle43

Lover- not a fighter
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know you are a gunner when you hide all the organic chemistry books in the bookstore so nobody can find any for two weeks and your school has to reorder them.

Continue....

Members don't see this ad.

You fight tooth and nail to gain 2 points back on your 93 lab report.

Next.

You know you are a true gunner when you help out your classmates so you can kick their asses at their best.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you didn't have to look up the chemical formula of caffeine....

When you don't study the day of or the day before the tests (me) and still get 100s.

If you have ever uttered the phrase "Ah, good. Now I don't have to worry about you," to a classmate who scored a 72 on their chemistry exam. *Note: overheard in class*

Praetorian said:
If you have ever uttered the phrase "Ah, good. Now I don't have to worry about you," to a classmate who scored a 72 on their chemistry exam. *Note: overheard in class*
I only ever *think* that to myself. What nerve to actually say that out loud! :laugh:
Actually, I like being around smart people, and enjoy having competitive people in my classes, as long as they behave themselves.

You know you are a gunner when: you get excited on the first day of class when the professor says that there will only be 10 A's awarded, and the class has 160 students.

swifteagle43 said:
You know you are a gunner when you hide all the organic chemistry books in the bookstore so nobody can find any for two weeks and your school has to reorder them.

Continue....

That's not being a gunner... that's just being an @$$hole.

You know you are a gunner when: your best friend in a 200+ student lecture is the TA! :laugh:

But really..

You know you are a gunner when: you correct the professor in the middle of lecture.

...when you ask *baaarely* related questions in the middle of lecture just so you can listen to yourself talk and kiss the prof's ass. Ohh man I love fvcking with these kids for wasting everyone's time. :smuggrin:

Doko said:
That's not being a gunner... that's just being an @$$hole.

Don't think these are mutually exclusive :)

-tx

when you go around asking people how they did on the last test, not because you want to how they did, but because you want them to ask you in return.

my freshman roomate was like that, i never asked him how he did and it made him furious.

When someone says, "Hey, how are you Lynn?? I am in your XXX class." You stare at them with a blank face because you've never seen them before in your life. You sit in the front row of the class and NEVER turn around to socialize with the people behind you. Then you proceed to say, "Oh ya!! How are you sweetie?" (sweetie is strategically substituted for their name--of which you have no idea). :p Sadly enough, this happens to me all the time. :hardy:

Members don't see this ad :)
PittMedicine said:
When you don't study the day of or the day before the tests (me) and still get 100s.

Haha no, a gunner is when you study for 3 weeks before the exam, then SAY you didn't study for it and got a 100.

Bluntman said:
...when you ask *baaarely* related questions in the middle of lecture just so you can listen to yourself talk and kiss the prof's ass. Ohh man I love fvcking with these kids for wasting everyone's time. :smuggrin:

Haha I hate this. :thumbdown: Actually, though, I think half of them are gunners and the other half are just *****s.

Wait, so is being a gunner bad?

Asherlauph said:
no being a gunner is good. at least i hope so because i'll be one of the gunners (or try to be).

WholeLottaGame7 said:
Actually, though, I think half of them are gunners and the other half are just *****s.
Haha...yea I totally agree. I can't decide which version annoys me more. :rolleyes:

Asherlauph said:

Haha yes, the general perception of gunners is bad. Of course, all pre-meds have a little gunner in us, it's how we got this far. Just don't let it take over your life and make you a douchebag, and you'll be fine.

You give "advice" to your fellow students while subtly tearing them down.

You cheat on exams but tell the professor that other ppl. cheated (the days of O-chem drama)

You analyze the curve with your professor and tell him what it should be

You’re a brownnoser to profs but you insult them (with other students) behind their backs.

You always want to see other people’s labs and notes but can’t show yours cause they “suck so bad/you did not get around to doing them”

If a prof does not pick up an assignment or appears to forget it, you take pleasure in bringing it up although most of the class didn’t do it yet…but you do it in a sneaky way…

Man you gotta love pre-meds!

pcohen said:
You give "advice" to your fellow students while subtly tearing them down.

You cheat on exams but tell the professor that other ppl. cheated (the days of O-chem drama)

You analyze the curve with your professor and tell him what it should be

You’re a brownnoser to profs but you insult them (with other students) behind their backs.

You always want to see other people’s labs and notes but can’t show yours cause they “suck so bad/you did not get around to doing them”

If a prof does not pick up an assignment or appears to forget it, you take pleasure in bringing it up although most of the class didn’t do it yet…but you do it in a sneaky way…

Man you gotta love pre-meds!

You know you are a LAME-A$$ gunner when... you spend hours with the prof in office hours trying to pry-out exam questions. you try to be casual and act genuinely interested in the material, but you suck at it and the prof just ignores your questions.

lol ok after reading some more replies, i don't think i'll be that gunner. i'll just be the one that studies his ass off and at least tries to do well on everything.

Asherlauph said:

Working hard and studying you a$$ off isn't being a gunner. Doing your best to make other people do poorly so you look even better in comparison all while sucking up to the professor and making sure everyone knows how smart you are is being a gunner and is bad.

BrettBatchelor said:
Don't be a gunner. Be an animal. An animal gets respect.

be tucker carlson. bowties command respect. even if you're a giant d-bag.

Hopefully you mean Tucker's a giant douche, because I've always kind of liked and respected Brett.....

Praetorian said:
Hopefully you mean Tucker's a giant douche, because I've always kind of liked and respected Brett.....

I did in fact mean this. I don't really know Brett.

erin682 said:
Working hard and studying you a$$ off isn't being a gunner. Doing your best to make other people do poorly so you look even better in comparison all while sucking up to the professor and making sure everyone knows how smart you are is being a gunner and is bad.

I've not met a single gunner in my life. I think most of us have gunner thoughts--like we'll secretly be glad when other people do poorly, etc.--but we'll stop short of expressing them or making sure they happen.

I do remember this girl who was incredibly smart and always seemed so dependable, perfect attendance, etc...and we exchanged lecture notes with her only to find her notes were indecipherable! It wasn't even messy, it was just all in super short-hand. I have no idea if that's just her way of writing, or if she sneakily developed this fool-proof way of protecting her notes.

Gunners don't make education fun. It turns into a competition, if you associate with them. I hate them with a passion.

I am competitive, but i hate gunners. Also, I hate premeds. With passion.

Although, some are cool.

vn2004 said:
I did in fact mean this. I don't really know Brett.
Good then...we agree on something.

While copying an assigment from someone else, you find a mistake and dont tell them about it so they get a lower mark than you, muhahahahahahah.

funshine said:
I've not met a single gunner in my life. I think most of us have gunner thoughts--like we'll secretly be glad when other people do poorly, etc.--but we'll stop short of expressing them or making sure they happen.
Taking a small measure of pleasure in the failure of another is not a unique characteristic of gunners, though certainly gunners must be masters of reveling in (or causing) the misfortune of others. It is actually a common human emotional response, (though many like to think they don't take pleasure in the misfortune of others.) The feeling is universal enough that Germans actually have a word that describes this feeling: Schadenfreude. Though not virtuous, it is a common enough feeling. Think of how most of the girls in your school felt when the class ***** got pregnant and had to leave school. Schadenfreude! Or when someone on SDN is going off about someone else being stupid, and you notice that their post has several serious grammar or spelling errors. Oh, the sweet satisfaction!

odrade1 said:
Schadenfreude! Oh, the sweet satisfaction!

:laugh: that reminds me...

(from Avenue Q)

GARY COLEMAN:
Right now you are down and out and feeling really crappy

NICKY:
I'll say.

GARY COLEMAN:
And when I see how sad you are
It sort of makes me...
Happy!

NICKY:
Happy?!

GARY COLEMAN:
Sorry, Nicky, human nature-
Nothing I can do!
It's...
Schadenfreude!
Making me feel glad that I'm not you.

NICKY:
Well that's not very nice, Gary!

GARY COLEMAN:
I didn't say it was nice! But everybody does it!

D'ja ever clap when a waitress falls and drops a tray of glasses?

NICKY:
Yeah...

GARY COLEMAN:
And ain't it fun to watch figure skaters falling on their asses?

NICKY:
Sure!

GARY COLEMAN:
And don'tcha feel all warm and cozy,
Watching people out in the rain!

NICKY:
You bet!

GARY COLEMAN:
That's...

GARY AND NICKY:
Schadenfreude!

GARY COLEMAN:
People taking pleasure in your pain!

NICKY:
Oh, Schadenfreude, huh?
What's that, some kinda Nazi word?

GARY COLEMAN:
Yup! It's German for "happiness at the misfortune of others!"

NICKY:
"Happiness at the misfortune of others." That is German!

Watching a vegetarian being told she just ate chicken

GARY COLEMAN:
Or watching a frat boy realize just what he put his dick in!

NICKY:
Being on the elevator when somebody shouts "Hold the door!"

GARY AND NICKY:
"No!!!"
Schadenfreude!

GARY COLEMAN:
"**** you lady, that's what stairs are for!"

NICKY:
Ooh, how about...
Straight-A students getting Bs?

GARY COLEMAN:
Exes getting STDs!

NICKY:
Waking doormen from their naps!

GARY COLEMAN:
Watching tourists reading maps!

NICKY:
Football players getting tackled!

GARY COLEMAN:
CEOs getting shackled!

NICKY:
Watching actors never reach

GARY AND NICKY:
The ending of their oscar speech!
Schadenfreude!
Schadenfreude!
Schadenfreude!
Schadenfreude!

GARY COLEMAN:
The world needs people like you and me who've been knocked around by fate.
'Cause when people see us, they don't want to be us, and that makes them feel great.

NICKY:
Sure!
We provide a vital service to society!

GARY AND NICKY:
You and me!
Schadenfreude!
Making the world a better place...
To be!

GARY COLEMAN:
S-C-H-A-D-E-N-F-R-E-U-D-E!

yourmom25 said:
lol ok after reading some more replies, i don't think i'll be that gunner. i'll just be the one that studies his ass off and at least tries to do well on everything.
you wrote studies HIS ass off... yourmom, this whole time I thought you were female!

when you take notes for a class where grading is based only on attendance

i took a 1 credit class where every week a professor from UConn Med came to UConn (undergrad) and did a lecture on their subject, i.e., one week would be a lecture on hearing anatomy and phys....and the second hour of the class was the prof. speaking about clinical cases in that area

grading was you go to the front and sign a piece of paper saying you're there (and you could have left if you wanted to...but i stayed cuz it was really interesting)

anyway, many many ppl (class filled w/ all pre-meds) were taking NOTES...why? I HAVE NO CLUE.....needless to say, i hated every single pre-med person in there

does anyone know why one would take notes? were they just trying to suck up? like the day the dean came to talk and everyone went to talk to him after class....i just went to the gym after class....

that taking notes thing seriously made me so mad at times

C.P. Jones said:
when you take notes for a class where grading is based only on attendance

i took a 1 credit class where every week a professor from UConn Med came to UConn (undergrad) and did a lecture on their subject, i.e., one week would be a lecture on hearing anatomy and phys....and the second hour of the class was the prof. speaking about clinical cases in that area

grading was you go to the front and sign a piece of paper saying you're there (and you could have left if you wanted to...but i stayed cuz it was really interesting)

anyway, many many ppl (class filled w/ all pre-meds) were taking NOTES...why? I HAVE NO CLUE.....needless to say, i hated every single pre-med person in there

does anyone know why one would take notes? were they just trying to suck up? like the day the dean came to talk and everyone went to talk to him after class....i just went to the gym after class....

that taking notes thing seriously made me so mad at times

Maybe to better understand and retain the topics that the dude discusses? I would take notes too! Otherwise I'd just leave the lecture and forget everything he said by the next week.

Gavanshir said:
Maybe to better understand and retain the topics that the dude discusses? I would take notes too! Otherwise I'd just leave the lecture and forget everything he said by the next week.

i thought it was cool to just sit there and listen and remember just by interest...the class was meant to make sure ppl are interested in a future of medicine...it was just basic anatomy, which is taken as a pretty standard course by pre-meds at UConn....but i guess that's what makes a gunner...

Gavanshir said:

and what're you going to end up doing with the notes? When would u review them all?

I take notes even if there will be no test and the material is of absolutely no interest to me, even if I'll never see the lecturer again.
Why, you ask?
1)Learn something as long as I'm spending my time on it
2) Keep from falling asleep and hurting the lecturer's feeling
3)Distract myself from my need to go to the restroom
4) Use up nervous energy
5)Burn off calories with hand motion
6) I'm obsessive compulsive

funshine said:

I do remember this girl who was incredibly smart and always seemed so dependable, perfect attendance, etc...and we exchanged lecture notes with her only to find her notes were indecipherable! It wasn't even messy, it was just all in super short-hand. I have no idea if that's just her way of writing, or if she sneakily developed this fool-proof way of protecting her notes.
my handwriting is naturally messy, i guess the gunner gene (s) is in me.

Noone bothers asking me for notes anymore because they can't read my handwriting, so they may think I'm a gunner. Unfortunately, the truth is that I can't read my writing either....

I'm a gunner I'm a gunner
oH wait...you have to be doing well to be a gunner..damnit.

Number 1 Gunner Reason:
You tell others you are completely in for the practice and you would do this everday for the rest of your life. Telling pre-meds that if they want to make money they should go into dentistry or pharmacy, etc and they want to enjoy their lives *

Pssssh, yeah right. I'd rather play sonic the hedgehog (ANTI-NINTENDO GO SEGA WOO!), or sleep for like infinite.

Either that or be Hugh Hefner.

* (I may have just made a litigious* comment)

*litigious sounds like a badass word and i just thought of it. that's pretty sweet.

You know you're a gunner when you refuse sex with a girl to study with her instead.

dinesh said:
You know you're a gunner when you refuse sex with a girl to study with her instead.

you mean a loser?

You're a gunner when: you tear out pages from books in the library so other people can't read them. Unfortunately, this actually happens at some med schools.

i'm more of a sniper...

a buddy of mine (MS1) wrote and has recorded a song about gunners. I'm trying to get him to send it to me so i can post it on SDN.

It's hilarious and funny and VERY VERY VERY true.