You path people will appreciate this...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kem

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...

My first M4 elective is at this urology private practice office, it's a really cool place - they have a surgical center, radiologist, pathologist etc. The mildly annoying thing is that the attending and I have to round on all our patients at 2 different hospitals BEFORE his 7:30am case at the office surgical center.

After the first quick case he gives me a tour of their building, and wants to introduce me to the pathologist who I will be spending a day with. It's 8:15am and the pathologist is not there yet. We move on, and then see him coming up the stairs at 8:30am.

8:30am!!!!

:) kem (who submitted her ERAS for an ob-gyn residency yesterday)

Members don't see this ad.

kem said:
So...

My first M4 elective is at this urology private practice office, it's a really cool place - they have a surgical center, radiologist, pathologist etc. The mildly annoying thing is that the attending and I have to round on all our patients at 2 different hospitals BEFORE his 7:30am case at the office surgical center.

After the first quick case he gives me a tour of their building, and wants to introduce me to the pathologist who I will be spending a day with. It's 8:15am and the pathologist is not there yet. We move on, and then see him coming up the stairs at 8:30am.

8:30am!!!!

:) kem (who submitted her ERAS for an ob-gyn residency yesterday)

Yeah I guess when one becomes a path attending, you can get in that late. But residents in pathology can work some long hours when doing a busy month like surgical path at a high specimen volume academic center.

As long as you enjoy what you're doing...that's the key.

of course! I wasn't trying to imply that path people don't work hard during residency... :oops:

I guess I think sometimes I trick myself into thinking that "after residency everything will get better" when in some fields, like surgical ones, even as an attending in a cushy private practice office you get to work at 6:15am to preround, when in other fields, as an attending, you can get to work at 8:30am to preround.

I think I'm secretly jealous - I enjoy the wrong specialty....

:) kem (back to lurking I go!)

Members don't see this ad :)
kem said:
of course! I wasn't trying to imply that path people don't work hard during residency... :oops:

I guess I think sometimes I trick myself into thinking that "after residency everything will get better" when in some fields, like surgical ones, even as an attending in a cushy private practice office you get to work at 6:15am to preround, when in other fields, as an attending, you can get to work at 8:30am to preround.

I think I'm secretly jealous - I enjoy the wrong specialty....

:) kem (back to lurking I go!)

no no i wasn't implying that you were implying anything (does this make sense?) during some months, path residents just chill...especially if they're on CP rotations. Autopsy months seem hit or miss. If there are no autopsies, you won't be working hard. But on surgical path months, there are always slides to look at. Some days can be easy...some days can be harder. That's all I'm sayin :)

An increasing number are looking at path., realizing that lifestyle ALSO play a role in choosing what one wants to do for the rest of ones life. And, generally speaking, path is very reasonable and pretty flexible. Also note that extensive on-call obligations are pretty rare ;-)

PathOne said:
An increasing number are looking at path., realizing that lifestyle ALSO play a role in choosing what one wants to do for the rest of ones life. And, generally speaking, path is very reasonable and pretty flexible. Also note that extensive on-call obligations are pretty rare ;-)

Yeah, there are rumored to be 8 ppl at Michigan going into path. 2 of the 8 are questionables; 6 are definites. Still this is a lot more than the usual.