You vs you - how far have you come in 10 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyanide12345678

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This post is to celebrate our own personal growth. It is to remind ourselves to focus on our own growth and success and not the growth and success of others.

So, at what stage were you in life about 10 years ago? Would the 10 year younger you be proud of you?

I’ll go first. 10 years ago i started med school. August 2012-July 2013 was my freshman year of med school. I made $3000 that summer working as a research assistant which was pretty much my annual income. Including med student loans, i had about 50k of debt. I didn’t know what a roth IRA was. I didn’t have any money, other than what the government had given me to fund my education. And just a few years before that i was living on ramen noodles, peanut butter sandwiches and the mcdonalds 1 dollar menu.

My dream then was to make 250k+ and to pay off my student loans. 10 years ago me would be proud and would have never guessed id be a millionaire by now.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Good perspective, 10 years ago me would also be very proud. We’re all on the hedonic treadmill.

Went from negative to multimillion net worth. Quit my job. It was a lost decade, though.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For me, it's better to think about my growth since residency graduation 6 years ago.

-Increased my net worth about 800k
-got out of debt
-divorced an ungrateful spouse
-raising a beautiful daughter
-found a pretty easy job

Life's pretty good!

Reactions: 12 users
For me, it's better to think about my growth since residency graduation 6 years ago.

-Increased my net worth about 800k
-got out of debt
-divorced an ungrateful spouse
-raising a beautiful daughter
-found a pretty easy job

Life's pretty good!

#1 cause for wealth loss for physicians…
Sorry you went through that

Reactions: 5 users
10 years ago I was barely an attending with 350K+ of debt; paid that off in just over 6 years.

Hell, lets just go back to 2020:

RustedFox, 2020: Burned-out. Unemployed. Bogus lawsuit. Drinking hard daily. 5'6'' ,180 pound soyboy. Lower GI bleeds from ulcerative colitis. Considering walking into the wilderness and not caring if I come out.

RustedFox, 2023: Back in the fight. Exonerated by board (done with lawsuit). Zero alcohol. 5'6'', 153 pounds. 255 bench press. Body like a Tekken character. Moving towards getting out of EM with minimal income loss.

Life is far, far better.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 30 users
10 years ago I was barely an attending with 350K+ of debt; paid that off in just over 6 years.

RustedFox, 2020: Burned-out. Unemployed. Bogus lawsuit. Drinking hard. 5'6'' ,180 pound soyboy. Lower GI bleeds from ulcerative colitis. Considering walking into the wilderness and not caring if I come out.

RustedFox, 2023: Back in the fight. Exonerated by board (done with lawsuit). Zero alcohol. 5'6'', 153 pounds. 255 bench press. Body like a Tekken character. Moving towards getting out of EM with minimal income loss.

Life is far, far better.

That’s incredible weight loss. Good for you and congratulations!

10 years ago I had just moved cross country and was settling into my new job. I was planning to keep socking it away with a target retirement in my early 50's.

In the interim I discovered Palliative Medicine, which empowered me to practice medicine the way it's meant to be practiced (using knowledge, reasoning, and compassion to help people feel better). I have carried those lessons into my EM practice. Now I enjoy the practice of medicine more than ever (both Palli and EM), and I feel like I'd rather keep working into my late 60's - just because it makes me happy.

There are lots of paths to happiness: find your own.

Reactions: 11 users
Good perspective, 10 years ago me would also be very proud. We’re all on the hedonic treadmill.

Yeah i often find myself constantly moving the goal post rather than being content and happy with the success achieved. I’m Really trying to learn to focus on contentment in my personal life and get off that hedonic treadmill.

Reactions: 3 users
Went from negative to multimillion net worth. Quit my job. It was a lost decade, though.

Bro, I can very clearly recall how you went from "unicorn gig" to "it's a gig", to "toxic gig".
Good on you for getting the eff out. What's the encore plan? Feel free to PM me if you don't wanna post it. Feel free to ignore me or not divulge as well.

Reactions: 1 user
#1 cause for wealth loss for physicians…
Sorry you went through that

All good brother. I minimized the damage inflicted, which is much more than men can say!

RustedFox, 2020: Burned-out. Unemployed. Bogus lawsuit. Drinking hard daily. 5'6'' ,180 pound soyboy. Lower GI bleeds from ulcerative colitis. Considering walking into the wilderness and not caring if I come out.

Life is far, far better.

To paraphrase Dune, "Alcohol is the mind killer."

It really affects me way more in my 30s than 20s. Even one cocktail will mess with my mood and workout the next day.

I drink occassionally, but have cut back. I just like bourbon too much to not have some here and there :)

I love the 10 year cutoff as my 10 year wedding anniversary is coming up here in the next couple months.
Last 10 years :
Had 4 kids
Bought a house, now own it outright
Med school debt paid off
Net worth around 1.4M
Recently got into rentals, 16 doors in the last 14 months
Spend half the summer on our fishing boat

This is nothing whatsoever like my childhood where my parents were always scraping by, although we never wanted for anything and I wonder if I/we pay enough attention to my kids sometimes. Husband is a paramedic/FF and manages our rentals. I think there’s also great value in them seeing us work hard and learning how to fix things.

Thanks for posting. It’s nice to take a step back. We have it pretty great compared to most people.

Reactions: 8 users
I love the 10 year cutoff as my 10 year wedding anniversary is coming up here in the next couple months.
Last 10 years :
Had 4 kids
Med school debt paid off
Net worth around 1.4M

This is nothing whatsoever like my childhood where my parents were always scraping by, although we never wanted for anything and I wonder if I/we pay enough attention to my kids sometimes. Husband is a paramedic/FF and manages our rentals. I think there’s also great value in them seeing us work hard and learning how to fix things.

Thanks for posting. It’s nice to take a step back. We have it pretty great compared to most people.
Nice, where are your rentals?
Do you live in a HCOL or LCOL area?

Members don't see this ad :)
Last 10 years :
Had 4 kids
Med school debt paid off
Net worth around 1.4M

I have a bunch of friends married to Fire Fighters. They all to have the happiest families!
What is it about Fire Fighters, that make them such great spouses?

10 years ago - In middle of intern year, life is so much better than medical school, negative net worth but not terrible, looking for a wifey

Today - basically FI, no debt, live in BFE but I like BFE and being bigger fish in smaller pond, married with 2 kids. Was a lot more burned out but working less now. I itch for a super sick patient or aggressive resus. I think I want to work for another 15 years until my kids go to college just to show them I'm not a bum. Tell my wife we can make our kids NPs under my license and they can do whatever specialty their heart desires. She is not amused (her entire family is doctors except her).

Also really like the 10 year cut off. I’m tempted to look back a bit longer, but I’ll stick to what was going on then:

I had received a call 2 weeks before from my best friend, a firefighter/paramedic in a larger Midwest city. Finishing up my last pre-reqs for med school that upcoming semester which included biochem and then taking MCAT in April/may. My buddy asks what I’m doing with my gap year. I hadn’t thought about it. He suggests doing my EMT-B and then an academy style paramedic course (9 months to get my EMT-P). So I do that 10 years ago May passing the EMT-B exam, then getting my medic, working the entire way through. Had just quit my job as a bank teller, part time while doing school but had been full time after undergrad three years before. Never broke $22k in income. Hadn’t met my now wife yet, that happened December 2013.

Now: making over $400k in EM in flyover area (we hate cities anyway), have two beautiful daughters, got a very nice house, good reliable cars. Got about $160k positive net worth about a year and a half out of residency. Wife doesn’t work, so just one income, but we don’t have any issues doing what we want financially.

10 years ago me would be very surprised I think. Probably a bit impressed if I’m being honest. I never had anything resembling good luck before. Now I feel like I’m swimming in good luck these days. Very grateful for where I am right now, even if it is really tough sometimes. The alternative was far worse.

It's great to see how far people have come, and that many have found a great place for themselves in EM. Strong work.

Reactions: 1 users
Nice, where are your rentals?
Do you live in a HCOL or LCOL area?
Fairly LCOL. Our 2-bed apts are 800-1400. They are all within 20 miles/30 minutes of home.

I have a bunch of friends married to Fire Fighters. They all to have the happiest families!
I think one of the things I appreciate most is the equanimity that I think comes from seeing emergencies firsthand all the time.
My dad dies unexpectedly? He handles everything for a month
We have a kid two months early? He handles everything for a month
I have my gallbladder out ? He handles everything until I’m back on board
He doesn’t call me at work ever. He handles everything. I listen to other people have to handle home stuff while they’re trying to work and I’m so thankful. He did call once, because he was bringing one of our kids for me to stitch up lol. But that’s the only time in 10 years

I feel like the same happiness and stability doesn't extend to the nurse / firefighter relationships I hear about...

10 years ago had just received my acceptance to med school about a month ago. Year off from college working as lead guitarist in one of the biggest cover bands in the SE. 5 gigs a week. Living the high life. Since then, married with two amazing little boys(9 and 3). Put the guitar down about 5 years ago unfortunately. Out of residency in August 2020 in the middle of COVID with "big boy" pants. Have been hating EM for the past 2 1/2 years after working all nights with a 1 hour commute both ways but starting a new job this Thurs with high hopes. Also hopeful about starting my coding company soon and maybe another big business endeavor. I will say I felt very down about the whole decision to go into medicine but I do look back and see many things that give me pride in what we do. Also it gave me the financial ability to open new doors that I would not have had otherwise(possibly).

10 years ago had just received my acceptance to med school about a month ago. Year off from college working as lead guitarist in one of the biggest cover bands in the SE. 5 gigs a week. Living the high life. Since then, married with two amazing little boys(9 and 3). Put the guitar down about 5 years ago unfortunately. Out of residency in August 2020 in the middle of COVID with "big boy" pants. Have been hating EM for the past 2 1/2 years after working all nights with a 1 hour commute both ways but starting a new job this Thurs with high hopes. Also hopeful about starting my coding company soon and maybe another big business endeavor. I will say I felt very down about the whole decision to go into medicine but I do look back and see many things that give me pride in what we do. Also it gave me the financial ability to open new doors that I would not have had otherwise(possibly).
I have a question about starting your own coding company. I assume you mean billing as well which is frankly the much harder part of it all. I think the coding part is now fairly simple compared to the old Marshfield scoring system we had before.

I agree in that I think we make good money (for now) and that allows us to pursue other interests and enjoy a good life.

So I will play this too. Regardless of my posts whenever I get down on things within EM or my group I just remind myself how lucky I am And have been. Some of that luck was created by me some was random luck.

10 years ago I would have just made partner at my old SDG where I worked with some of my very close friends. I was fairly naive to the business of EM. Blindsided by my group selling. Shocked I would move 2k miles to a town I knew essentially no one. I got lucky and found a 2nd SDG. They entrusted me to help run the group and it has gone well.

We have our 3rd child and financially we have far exceeded where we thought we would be. My kids are healthy, we invest time and money into their education and sports. We travel far more than I expected we could do or afford. My dad dies unexpectedLy. We diversify financially into 2 side businesses and own some rentals.

It hasn’t been all good but I would be proud of what I accomplished personally and professionally.

The one thing i have to say about EM, it really allows people plenty of time to have interests outside of medicine.

Good luck on your coding company. I hope you smash it out of the park. Business success is one thing that has eluded me. I sold my last online venture for 16k last month. It was taking up too much time to optimize things and my wife was getting really pissed 😂😂😂

January 2013: I was full time undergrad at LSU, stringing 3 PT gigs together (911 Dispatcher, Paramedic, and transport van medic for medically fragile children-like a day care, but with more vents and feeding pumps) with my Post 9/11 GI Bill and my wife's income to make ends meet. Living on 6 acres in rural Southern Louisiana with the wife, dogs, cats, and occasional nutria or raccoon in the yard. Running the occasional call with the VFD.

Now: Living in West by God Virginia, Working in Ohio. Survived not matching, matching #1, it closing, transferring to a new program, COVID and graduating. Made it to attending hood in a community/academic hospital and landed my dream EMS medical director gig.

2013 me would be relieved I made it and proud that I persevered through everything. Would love show 1996-1997 me what I've accomplished

• Wow
I have a question about starting your own coding company. I assume you mean billing as well which is frankly the much harder part of it all. I think the coding part is now fairly simple compared to the old Marshfield scoring system we had before.

I agree in that I think we make good money (for now) and that allows us to pursue other interests and enjoy a good life.
Yes definitely coding/billing/auditing. As a whole we have a lot to complain about internally but compared to the rest of the population...

Wish I hadn't put down the guitar though. I was pretty good at one point.

So I will play this too. Regardless of my posts whenever I get down on things within EM or my group I just remind myself how lucky I am And have been. Some of that luck was created by me some was random luck.

10 years ago I would have just made partner at my old SDG where I worked with some of my very close friends. I was fairly naive to the business of EM. Blindsided by my group selling. Shocked I would move 2k miles to a town I knew essentially no one. I got lucky and found a 2nd SDG. They entrusted me to help run the group and it has gone well.

We have our 3rd child and financially we have far exceeded where we thought we would be. My kids are healthy, we invest time and money into their education and sports. We travel far more than I expected we could do or afford. My dad dies unexpectedLy. We diversify financially into 2 side businesses and own some rentals.

It hasn’t been all good but I would be proud of what I accomplished personally and professionally.
Sorry about your dad. I know you'd do anything for time with him. I'm sure he's proud of what you've accomplished.

Had just gotten married, I was just about to finish undergrad, then move into my in-laws basement while my new wife finished her degree as I worked a job and applied to med school. Moved back to my home state to reclaim residency for in-state tuition at the one school I got waitlisted at, and then thankfully was accepted (I wasn't a great college student). Worked hard, got my #1 match, slogged through COVID residency and now a recent partner at SDG making 400k+ also in a "flyover" state that works for us. NW since residency from decently negative to about 150k, allows my wife to stay at home with the kids for now.

Good exercise. I've been thinking about this a lot recently as we just hit our 10 year anniversary. Lots can change in a relatively short period of time. In 10 years from now I hope to be CoastFI, work just enough to not touch invested capital for a few more years, traveling more, and continuing some expensive hobbies.

Graduated med school in 2013 with 320k in loans thst went up to 420k in training. Matched Ortho.

Been an attending now for 3.5 years. Paid off the loans 2 years ago. Net worth is over a mil. 3 children in last 4 years and live in the town I grew up in. Can’t complain too much.

Reactions: 6 users
I was a firefighter. It's because, when we came, we helped. Always. No other reason/result. You call, we came, and it was always good, even if not good news.

It is SO good on the ego to not have to ask yourself/lie to yourself that you are always doing good. There is no justification for firefighters.

10 years ago... settle in. 10 years ago was actually a turning point, so indulge me a story.

I had just caught the bouquet at one of my residency girlfriend's wedding and was dipping my toes back in the dating world. My divorce had been final for about 2 years; my ex was still alive, hadn't succumbed to his addiction yet, but was halfway across the country and I'd done a great deal of healing. Like, a LOT of therapy. Enough to be emotionally ready.

Turns out I'd ask future husband out for our first date in a few weeks, but I didn't know that yet - after Valentine's day. I didn't want to sound desperate. He's a nurse, and he was one of mine before he moved to the cath lab, but I had to vet him with some of MY nurses first. Battleaxe charge said "oh yeah, I used to work with him when he was on the truck, he's a good guy." He was a paramedic before going to nursing school. Same nurse (ex cop) told me I'd need to make sure I had a background check, etc, on anyone I ever dated, but she approved of this guy wholeheartedly. So...

We talked about kids (he had 2, but would start over. I said no need, I'd just enjoy his since they were practically grown), credit scores and veterinarians on that first date. There was a second date and a third. He proposed on the eve of the New York City Marathon 2.5 years later. I ran the marathon and showed all my new bling off and it was official. We eloped on the beach the next year and have been married going on 7 years.

I worked in that ER another 5, through a loss-of-contract, went to an IC-1099, learned all about the tax code, picked up side gigs, gracefully "retired" when TeamUnHealthy starting shooting themselves in the foot staffing-wise, and started transitioning to HPM. I learned I loved it, boarded as a hospice medical director, and finally worked my last shift as an ER doc in January of 2020 having done some fun freestanding stuff and a smattering of random locumsy stuff.

I'm now happily "retired" to Hospice, debt free, with nearly 2M in the bank. Husband has been talking about retiring for some time but I will believe it when I see it. He does IR now and I've been dragging him all over the world. I lost my brother suddenly almost 7 years ago, and working with death on a daily basis makes one appreciate the joy in life. So we travel, we live, and my work is now very fulfilling, even though I get a lot of eyebrows when I note that "oh, I'm retired."

Reactions: 9 users
Yes definitely coding/billing/auditing. As a whole we have a lot to complain about internally but compared to the rest of the population...
Curious what’s your competitive advantage gonna be? Plenty of legacy players in the space and some relatively new ones like consensio. Also with the shrinking number of sdgs are you trying to break into a shrinking market. Just curious. I think there is opportunity there in that market but from personal experience moving billing companies is painful for a group and from the outside view it is expensive to run with lots of IT costs and labor costs.

Wish I hadn't put down the guitar though. I was pretty good at one point.
What, did ya loose your hands? Pick it back up!

*and if you did loose your hands, I've got egg on my face :censored:

What, did ya loose your hands? Pick it back up!

*and if you did loose your hands, I've got egg on my face :censored:
They're are a handful of words that people use incorrectly that make me loose my mind. Seriously, it takes my breathe away when people do this. I know its just a pet peeve of mine and I should probably just say that I could care less and let it slide. I can't. It bugs me alot.

They're are a handful of words that people use incorrectly that make me loose my mind. Seriously, it takes my breathe away when people do this. I know its just a pet peeve of mine and I should probably just say that I could care less and let it slide. I can't. It bugs me alot.
Don’t loose your mind about it.

Things like this bug me too, but sometimes I’m equally guilty of a mistype.

• Haha
The one thing i have to say about EM, it really allows people plenty of time to have interests outside of medicine.

Good luck on your coding company. I hope you smash it out of the park. Business success is one thing that has eluded me. I sold my last online venture for 16k last month. It was taking up too much time to optimize things and my wife was getting really pissed 😂😂😂
What were you doing?

It's weird how ten years can take 2 sentences or 2 books to tell.

In 2013 I was an assistant FMD working 13-14 9s/month plus admin time. I had 2 kids under 5yo, one of which I was told to start a savings account for because they'd never be employable. I still had an 2 fully functional ACLs and a surprising number of undamaged bones that wouldn't stay that way. I alternated between frustrated (angry) and angry as my main emotions because I was burnt to a crisp, although it would be a couple of years before realizing such a limited affect was a problem. My marker for a successful marriage was the interval between blowout arguments. Financially I'm making the most money I'll make in my career. Despite that I'm still worried about money not infrequently due to my wife being low on the peds academic pay scale and having a huge house while paying a living wage to a nanny working 40+ hrs/week plus private kindergarten.

2023, still in EM working at the VA. Any admin position is 5 years in my rear-view. I haven't seen the inside of a hospital at 4am since the beginning of COVID. Have some existential worry about my "skills" but the day to day is easy and it's been years since I've had to tell parents that their baby died.

Kids are in high school and middle school (public). The one misdiagnosed with autism got straight A's last semester, is a chess master, and doesn't seem to be any more socially awkward than me at that age. I still play hockey once a week, a concession to the fact that I'm now in the count down for how long I have until a THA.

I feel things besides anger now, which seems to have some knock-on effects in my relationships with... everybody. Getting to here was a journey that involved a lot more therapy than I was expecting. Absence of explosive conflict is no longer my primary relationship goal, and anecdotal evidence suggest I'm a better husband and father than I used to be.

Financially, I'm making less than my highest pay, better than the pay at my best job, but rarely if ever have to care about money. Kids are old enough we don't need a nanny, wife has been steadily being promoted and had her side hustle explode in the last 2 years. Still have a huge house, but it's walking distance to wife's work and 5 min. drive to my work.

What were you doing?

Bought an established niche ecommerce store from flippa in the lgbtq space. It was an automated dropship store where cjdropshipping was used to fulfill orders.

It had lifetime sales of 200k over 2.5 years, but a very decent drop in sales over the last year so seller had the website posted for 10k. It came with 36k organic Instagram followers and an email list of 10k people. It seemed like an incredible price point for purchase, so i negotiated seller down to 8k and pulled the trigger.

My plan was to add an etsy store and eBay store, re start FB ads - it took a lot of times to import listings to etsy and ebay. The customer service emails were dreadful - a lot of quality issues since it was all cheap Chinese things being sold there - like the cost of the best selling ring was actually $6 landed straight to the customer and it was being sold for $29.99 on the site. But the emails of people complaining that a stone came out, sometimes even 6 months after purchase were so time consuming that i wanted to get out. Order fulfillment usually took 1 minute and about 5 clicks. That was the nice part about the website.

I turned around and sold the site for 16k after owning it for 1 month. I didn’t know much about the lgbtq niche, but honestly the store was being sold for so little that i felt there was money to be made.

Last edited:
Body like a Tekken character.

E652417A-A6F6-419E-B6BB-21D6021F91C3.jpeg

?

Graduated med school in 2013 with 320k in loans thst went up to 420k in training. Matched Ortho.

Been an attending now for 3.5 years. Paid off the loans 2 years ago. Net worth is over a mil. 3 children in last 4 years and live in the town I grew up in. Can’t complain too much.
Super impressive. Can you elaborate on how you hit a net worth of over 1 million so quickly?

Super impressive. Can you elaborate on how you hit a net worth of over 1 million so quickly?
By choosing wisely and becoming an orthopedic surgeon 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Still living like a resident mostly, haven’t expanded my lifestyle much, but really because of being Ortho. Have made between high six figures and now low 7 figures in all of last 3 years.

• Dislike
Still living like a resident mostly, haven’t expanded my lifestyle much, but really because of being Ortho. Have made between high six figures and now low 7 figures in all of last 3 years.
When you say low 7 figures does that mean like 1-1.5M or 2-3M? Because 7 figures is 1-9.9M so low 7 figures is vague

• Hmm