You want pain procedures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nico47

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Consider Loyola.

First a disclaimer: This is shameless promotion of our residency. I've been asked too many times by interviewees about how many procedures we Loyola residents do and I finally have numbers, so I'm going to post them here for everyone to see.

This is not a post about whether a pain fellowship is needed or who can be trusted to read dye patterns and what reimbursement will be like in practice and yadda yadda yadda. This is only a report.

As a PGY-3 I've had four months of Pain, here are the tallies (not including injections in clinic) for the last two alone:

Performed*:
42 LESIs
33 Facets (Individually, more than that)
21 SI joints
10 Medial branch blocks
3 Ilioinguinal nerve blocks
4 Lumbar Nerve Root Blocks

Assisted:
7 CESIs
11 TFEs

If that's not enough, consider that the chief of anesthesia is about to debut our own state-of-the-art pain wing with a $40K carbon table and scheduled C-arm 5 days a week (which could double the above numbers).

Funny thing is, I'm not a 'pain person.' I had a good time, was VERY busy, and improved my confidence doing procedures. I'm sure there are other programs with similar experiences, but for the record this is my report.

Cheers.

*Attending present; patient pre-op'd, consented, marked, transfer'd, medication drawn and needle guided by me.

Members don't see this ad.