You wouldn't believe how X got into WashU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocketbooster

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This occurred in a recent but past cycle. My friend, Y, applied late and was waitlisted at WashU. They accepted Y in the summer and Y told them that he/she would only go to WashU on one condition. Only if Y's friend, X, was also accepted off the waitlist. WashU said fine, let Y in, and they both matriculated. Pretty crazy you can bargain like that huh?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my friends told me that he got into Harvard by baking the admissions committee some of his grandmother's world-famous oatmeal raisin cookies.

with names like X and Y, how can you turn em down?

One of my friends told me that he got into Harvard by baking the admissions committee some of his grandmother's world-famous oatmeal raisin cookies.

My friend did that, and it worked. Then again, it could be because his grandmother's secret ingredient is an Amex black card.

This occurred in a recent but past cycle. My friend, Y, applied late and was waitlisted at WashU. They accepted Y in the summer and Y told them that he/she would only go to WashU on one condition. Only if Y's friend, X, was also accepted off the waitlist. WashU said fine, let Y in, and they both matriculated. Pretty crazy you can bargain like that huh?

I don't understand why you called the "primary" individual in your story "Y". "X" in this case should be the independent variable and "Y" is dependent. The thread should be called, "You wouldn't believe how Y got into WashU".

I don't understand why you called the "primary" individual in your story "Y". "X" in this case should be the independent variable and "Y" is dependent. The thread should be called, "You wouldn't believe how Y got into WashU".
:laugh::thumbup:

Wow I feel so pwned.

That was awesome.

hilarious!! :laugh:
this is a must read :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_propagation Read up on Error prog and apply it to your non-ideal situation.

Or you can play "telephone" with 10 people and see how fast true stories/comments are changed into totally different stories/comments. I bet you the original story of "X"/"Y" had nothing to do with medical school; it probably had something to do with "X" getting an invitation to a party and refusing to go because "Y" wasn't invited.

yeah, it should have been Y in the thread title but I made a typo and didn't realize it till after I posted this. I had to change all of the variables in the text of the thread to fix it, so it looks off haha.

Last edited:
anyways, this is a true story. no exaggerations. PM me for specifics.

:troll:
:lock:

I'm not trolling. I don't want to post the specifics because I don't want to give away any info on them, but oh well, I guess it doesn't matter.

They are 2 girls. I will call my friend Lauren and her friend Whitney. I grew up with Lauren as our families are very close. Lauren started her undergrad at WashU but didn't like it so she transferred after her freshman year. When she first started there she didn't have any friends who went with her and when she was there she had a bad roommate experience. So, she transferred and finished her undergrad somewhere else. She finished undergrad with nearly a perfect GPA of just one non-A and a 41 on her MCAT. She applied to med schools late, I mean very late. She still got into some really good schools and was waitlisted at WashU. She was offered an acceptance to WashU later in the cycle. She told the adcom that she would matriculate if her friend, Whitney, was also accepted. Whitney was already on the WashU waitlist based on her own merits. WashU really wanted Lauren, and Whitney was by no means a sorry applicant since she was interviewed and waitlisted afterall. Lauren's one condition of matriculation gave Whitney the final push she needed to be taken off the waitlist. Whitney was accepted off the waitlist at the request of Lauren and they matriculated together. Lauren and Whitney are now roommates in their M2 year.

You forgot a few things, so I fixed it for you
Dear Abby,

They are 2 girls. I will call my friend "Lauren" and her friend "Whitney". I grew up with Lauren as our families are very close. Lauren started her undergrad at WashU but didn't like it so she transferred after her freshman year. When she first started there she didn't have any friends who went with her and when she was there she had a bad roommate experience. So, she transferred and finished her undergrad somewhere else. She finished undergrad with nearly a perfect GPA of just one non-A and a 41 on her MCAT. She applied to med schools late, I mean very late. She still got into some really good schools and was waitlisted at WashU. She was offered an acceptance to WashU later in the cycle. She told the adcom that she would matriculate if her friend, Whitney, was also accepted. Whitney was already on the WashU waitlist based on her own merits. WashU really wanted Lauren, and Whitney was by no means a sorry applicant since she was interviewed and waitlisted afterall. Lauren's one condition of matriculation gave Whitney the final push she needed to be taken off the waitlist. Whitney was accepted off the waitlist at the request of Lauren and they matriculated together. Lauren and Whitney are now roommates in their M2 year.

-ANGRY AT WHY I CAN'T GET INTO WASHU

haha, na I didn't apply there myself. I was just sharing this story with everyone. Sounds like you are a bitter, though. :laugh:

The only reason I applied to WashU was because my dad wanted me to apply there, and since he is paying for my apps, I acquiesced. I don't really care, but your story seems to implausible and farfetched, so very few people will believe you, even if it did happen:rolleyes:

The only reason I applied to WashU was because my dad wanted me to apply there, and since he is paying for my apps, I acquiesced. I don't really care, but your story seems to implausible and farfetched, so very few people will believe you, even if it did happen:rolleyes:

Your dad's money would be better spent donating to a certain Florida med school. That way, you have a guaranteed seat :)

I'm not trolling. I don't want to post the specifics because I don't want to give away any info on them, but oh well, I guess it doesn't matter.

They are 2 girls. I will call my friend Lauren and her friend Whitney. I grew up with Lauren as our families are very close. Lauren started her undergrad at WashU but didn't like it so she transferred after her freshman year. When she first started there she didn't have any friends who went with her and when she was there she had a bad roommate experience. So, she transferred and finished her undergrad somewhere else. She finished undergrad with nearly a perfect GPA of just one non-A and a 41 on her MCAT. She applied to med schools late, I mean very late. She still got into some really good schools and was waitlisted at WashU. She was offered an acceptance to WashU later in the cycle. She told the adcom that she would matriculate if her friend, Whitney, was also accepted. Whitney was already on the WashU waitlist based on her own merits. WashU really wanted Lauren, and Whitney was by no means a sorry applicant since she was interviewed and waitlisted afterall. Lauren's one condition of matriculation gave Whitney the final push she needed to be taken off the waitlist. Whitney was accepted off the waitlist at the request of Lauren and they matriculated together. Lauren and Whitney are now roommates in their M2 year.

Um. So, WashU gets how many extremely qualified applicants each year? I find it very unlikely that they would care so much about one applicant that they'd acquiesce to her random demands.

Um. So, WashU gets how many extremely qualified applicants each year? I find it very unlikely that they would care so much about one applicant that they'd acquiesce to her random demands.

hey man I'm just the messenger. I did my part. it's up to you to believe me or not. You got everything you need to know but their real names, which I'm obviously not gonna give! Hmm, I could give you her name, you could look her up on facebook, and then ask her for yourself. I'm not giving any of that, though. Lataz

Noooooooooo! Youuuuu grow up!:rolleyes:

I wish. My epiphyseal plates are sealed and I am forever going to be 71 inches, unless if I tip toe just that tiny bit to make the 6 feet cut :(

I really don't see why this is so hard to believe... Y was accepted and X was on the waitlist. Its not like Y got X in after a rejection. If X was near the top of the waitlist, it is not hard to believe at all. Y sounds like a pretty awesome applicant, and letting someone in off the waitlist happens all the time.

I really don't see why this is so hard to believe... Y was accepted and X was on the waitlist. Its not like Y got X in after a rejection. If X was near the top of the waitlist, it is not hard to believe at all. Y sounds like a pretty awesome applicant, and letting someone in off the waitlist happens all the time.

I don't find it implausible that two friends got into WashU, one right away and one from the waitlist. What I don't believe is that the demand of the friend who was already accepted was the deciding factor in her friend's admission.

Somehow, I doubt the OPs story. Just a little...

I'm with you. What would make more sense if Y was accepted off the bat. Someone accepted off the waitlist wouldn't have much weight to pull to get someone else in off the waitlist. But, the fact that this story happens to have occured at WashU causes a bit of skepticism in me.

Most schools don't just follow a hard and fast order of waitlistees they will let in. A good letter of intent/update can move you way up, and can even get you in. Some people mistakenly leave out the entire human factor of admission committees. There is a large part of applying that is just downright random. WashU had some spots open on the waitlist, they were yet to invite anybody else in, and this applicant just threw her request out there. If I were in the adcoms shoes, and Y asked me this, I would have gone ahead and let X in. Screw it. I really don't doubt this at all.

I'm with you. What would make more sense if Y was accepted off the bat. Someone accepted off the waitlist wouldn't have much weight to pull to get someone else in off the waitlist. But, the fact that this story happens to have occured at WashU causes a bit of skepticism in me.

You have to remember, though, that if they're taking people off the waitlist, it means that they have extra space in their class to fill. The closer it is to the start of school, the more desperate the adcoms will be to fill up their class.

You have to remember, though, that if they're taking people off the waitlist, it means that they have extra space in their class to fill. The closer it is to the start of school, the more desperate the adcoms will be to fill up their class.

This is true. But I wouldn't imagine WashU's waitlist movement to be extremely significant. Maybe I am putting the school on too high of a pedastal though...

If I were in the adcoms shoes, and Y asked me this, I would have gone ahead and let X in. Screw it. I really don't doubt this at all.

I don't think adcoms have the "screw it" type of attitude toward admissions.

And I realize there is a huge human factor to the admissions process. I have heard plenty of stories where someone has a family member at the med school and is able to get in a little bit easier. What I don't see is how an acceptee off of the waitlist could hold so much weight.

But conversely, if X was a stellar applicant near the top of the waitlist anyway then perhaps there was just too little differentiating factors between waitlist choice #1 and choice #X to make a significant difference.

Ahahahahahahaha :thumbup:

Gotta be a troll. What, this guy just wants to report this story..ahem, fairytale, and then jumps out when we don't believe him? Geez.

I'm still around...lol. I just don't have any more to say on this topic because I gave all the info. The roommate who got in at the request of my friend is very humble about it, though. When people ask her how she got into WashU, she always gives credit to my friend. The friend of mine has no reason to lie to me about this. Her parents and sister told me the same story on different occasions. If it helps at all, the 2 girls went to the same high school but not the same undergrad. I don't know if that matters in convincing you guys it's true or not but oh well.

Also, in regards to someone asking how can someone who got in off the waitlist herself has so much leverage...she applied really late. I don't know how WashU was in this case, but some schools keep interviewing even when their class is full. I know OU last year told January interviewees that all of the slots were already full when they got there but were still interviewing for an expected waitlist movement.

Anyways, I don't know what else to say to convince you guys. I have no reason make this up and my friend isn't the kind of person to make up anything. So, now I am done with the thread. I have no more info to share, not on a public forum anyway.

Isn't it possible that your friend got in off the waitlist, and then later, her friend got in off the waitlist regardless of what your friend requested? How are you sure that the friend got in only because the other friend asked for it. It may have just been a coincidence...