"You'd be a great fit for this program"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Please_Stand_By

Vault Doc
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have only heard this twice on the trail, but should any stock be put into this statement? The faculty seemed pretty genuine but they could always say this to applicants to sucker them into ranking them higher or some other undisclosed agenda. o_O

Members don't see this ad.

Have only heard this twice on the trail, but should any stock be put into this statement? The faculty seemed pretty genuine but they could always say this to applicants to sucker them into ranking them higher or some other undisclosed agenda. o_O

It really depends on the person who uttered this. Worst case, it means nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hearing this statement should not change how you operate. Rank every program if you would rather go there than SOAP.

Large dogs

Reactions: 1 user
We have the privilege of interviewing tons of people "who'd be a great fit for our program." They can't all be ranked to match. So it's not a lie, but it shouldn't be interpreted as implying anything about your likelihood of matching there.

Reactions: 1 users
It really depends on the person who uttered this. Worst case, it means nothing.

I kinda agree with this. If they email that to you or tell you offhand after your interview it likely means nothing. However, if a PD calls you and tells you that may hold a little more weight. I feel pretty strongly that the more time someone spends on your the better you should feel. PDs are busy as ****, if they spend time calling every applicant it would be a huge waste of time so they may only call a few people they really liked and tell them. My 2 cents at least. As said before, worst case it means nothing. It never hurts

We have the privilege of interviewing tons of people "who'd be a great fit for our program." They can't all be ranked to match. So it's not a lie, but it shouldn't be interpreted as implying anything about your likelihood of matching there.
This.

OP, I'd interpret it to mean that the person saying it to you thinks you're worth ranking. But that does not mean the rest of the faculty will agree, and it also doesn't mean that you'll be ranked high enough to match. So kind of analogous to any acquaintance giving you a random compliment (wow, you look nice today), smile, thank them, and then forget it ever happened. That being said, I agree with the person above me that getting a call from the PD to "ask if you have any questions" shortly before ROLs are due is another story.

as a N=1 followup, my post interview call turned into a match at #1

Am I great fit for this program? I go to the gym pretty often so it shouldn't be surprising.

Can see the SO asking "Does this program make me look fat?"

I need a twix