Young's Modulus and Bone

Started by victorias
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

victorias

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that Young's modulus should increase when bone growth happens but can someone explain using the equation what is happening?

Here is my attempt:

Y = (F/A)/(delta l/l)

When we are building bone, the ability of the bone to generate restoring force should increase - F increases
delta l should also be positive

So are we saying that F increases more than delta l and so there is a new increase in Y


Also, another question - Is stress scalar or tensor? I have some across sources explaining it as both so I just want to clarify this.

Thanks