Your #1 Specialty Choice if you got a Step 1 Score of 190, 200, 210, 220, etc.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who bumps a flatearth thread? Whatever happened to that guy anyway? He drop dead from a lack of prestige?

Members don't see this ad.

190 - Family Medicine

200 - Psych

210 - Internal Medicine

220 - General Surgery

230 - Anesthesia

240 - Ophthalmology

250 - Radiology

260 - Radiology

270 - Radiology

Who bumps a flatearth thread? Whatever happened to that guy anyway? He drop dead from a lack of prestige?

I think he headed off to one of the SUNY schools...

Searching to compensate for the lack of prestige he's experienced [from not matriculating to Harvard Med], he has undoubtedly been gunning so hard to match PRS that he hasn't had time to post on SDN in the past 2 years.

Makes sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking back at my post (infectious disease), I was overwhelmingly influenced by one particular attending. It worries me that I would let one person influence my future like that.

190 - Family Medicine

200 - Psych

210 - Internal Medicine

220 - General Surgery

230 - Anesthesia

240 - Ophthalmology

250 - Radiology

260 - Radiology

270 - Radiology

This is what I mean... A psych person has nothing in common with a surgery person which has nothing in common with a medicine person. Ophth at 240 but rads at 270? WTF is this bs. Unfortunately this is how way to many med students are. "I'll apply to derm and have anesthesia as a backup..." I have met 2 such people in the last couple weeks alone.

Sorry for bumping this thread but after talking to a couple fellow med students recently I wanted to see if their story was unique or if it was prevalent, which I guess now I see it is.

how highly do i have to score to be a DO at good acgme anesthesiology residency in southeast?

So I start in just a couple weeks and wanted to document my interests in this thread. There are a number a specialties I'm leaning away from (FM, Ob/Gyn, Psych, EM, Derm) and a handful I'm leaning towards (Peds fellowships in Ortho, ENT, Neurosx, or simply general Peds). All-in-all, I really don't have a firm grasp at this point of what I really want to do. Excited to see how my interests change/develop with time!

lol @ premeds in here.

You guys chasing reimbursement are idiots. Cards got utterly demolished with the stroke of a pen and there is literally nothing stopping CMS from demolishing ortho, derm, and rads either. Rad onc is getting chiseled away 5% at a time. Hell neurology's only money maker got cut 55% last year and they didn't even make much before.

190 - seppuku

200 - neurology

210 - neurology

220 - neurosurgery

230 - neurosurgery

240 - neurosurgery

250 - neurosurgery

260 - neurosurgery

270 - neurosurgery

Members don't see this ad :)
lol @ premeds in here.

You guys chasing reimbursement are idiots. Cards got utterly demolished with the stroke of a pen and there is literally nothing stopping CMS from demolishing ortho, derm, and rads either. Rad onc is getting chiseled away 5% at a time. Hell neurology's only money maker got cut 55% last year and they didn't even make much before.

do you mind posting a source?

190 - McDonalds

200 - Burger King

210 - Family Medicine

220 - Wendy's

230 - Derm

240 - Derm

250 - Derm

260 - Derm

270 - Super Derm

This is what I mean... A psych person has nothing in common with a surgery person which has nothing in common with a medicine person. Ophth at 240 but rads at 270? WTF is this bs. Unfortunately this is how way to many med students are. "I'll apply to derm and have anesthesia as a backup..." I have met 2 such people in the last couple weeks alone.

Sorry for bumping this thread but after talking to a couple fellow med students recently I wanted to see if their story was unique or if it was prevalent, which I guess now I see it is.

I chose my specialty based entirely off of my step 1 score. Why wouldn't I?

yeah... it's not that competitive at the "top" IM places. It is competitive, yes, but the degree is much less so compared to even "middle tier" surgical subspeciality programs. Just based on my experience for "top" IM places I'm thinking high 230s on step 1 with AOA from a top 20 med school, pubs are a nice bonus.

Getting an interview and matching are 2 separate things. It is more competitive than you think. I came from one of those IM programs and our Average step 1 was high 240s/low 250s

190 - Family Medicine

200 - Psych

210 - Internal Medicine

220 - General Surgery

230 - Anesthesia

240 - Ophthalmology

250 - Radiology

260 - Radiology

270 - Radiology

You couldn't pay me enough to do radiology. Sitting in a dark room 10 hours a day not talking to anyone is not my idea of fun.

Getting an interview and matching are 2 separate things. It is more competitive than you think. I came from one of those IM programs and our Average step 1 was high 240s/low 250s

I could've sworn you went to Bayview . . .

You couldn't pay me enough to do radiology. Sitting in a dark room 10 hours a day not talking to anyone is not my idea of fun.

Good, stay away. Stay far, far away.

Rounding for 7 hours is much better.

it amazes me how any speciality can sound horrible if phrased well enough. :D

I went to medical school to be a doctor. Cardiology, Surgery, GI, etc are real doctors. Radiologists are just highly paid technicians. Why even go to med school if you're not going to be a real doctor? During residency I once ran a code in radiology. The radiologists were more worthless than the nurses. It was pathetic.

When someone stands up on a plane and says is there a doctor on board, I don't want to be the shmuck who stands up and is like, "well I don't know what to do about your chest pain but I can read a diffusion weighted MRI reaaaallly well."

I did a radiology elective in medical school and thought I would slit my wrists by the end. You can keep it.

I could've sworn you went to Bayview . . .

Nope. Same city, different program.

Reactions: 1 user
I chose my specialty based entirely off of my step 1 score. Why wouldn't I?

Because it implies you really have no sincere interest. It reminds me of someone I know who took the MCAT and the LSAT and said depending on which is better, they'll decide to go to law school or med school.

There are fields that are similar enough where I can understand - applying to path/rads or fm/path/derm, urology/ent/surg... but then there are people who are chasing $$ only. It's sad because we will be working 60h/wk not counting crazier hours during residency and spend maybe 8-10 weeks of the year vacationing or whatever with our money. The payoff is not worth sacrificing enjoyment of what you will be doing 80-90% of your waking time for a little more fun during the 10-20% where you are not working.

This is what I see in every post...:

190: What gets me the most money and best lifestyle with this score

200: What gets me the most money and best lifestyle with this score

210: What gets me the most money and best lifestyle with this score

220: What gets me the most money and best lifestyle with this score

230: What gets me the most money and best lifestyle with this score

240: What gets me the most money and best lifestyle with this score

250: What gets me the most money and best lifestyle with this score

< 210: IM

220- 230: General Surg

> 240: Uro or Ortho

190 - Family Medicine

200 - Psych

210 - Internal Medicine

220 - General Surgery

230 - Anesthesia

240 - Ophthalmology

250 - Radiology

260 - Radiology

270 - Radiology

Dumbest list ever... "Oh hey my step 1 went up by 30 points so i decided to go from talking to people in clinic every day to talking to people never"

I went to medical school to be a doctor. Cardiology, Surgery, GI, etc are real doctors. Radiologists are just highly paid technicians. Why even go to med school if you're not going to be a real doctor? During residency I once ran a code in radiology. The radiologists were more worthless than the nurses. It was pathetic.

When someone stands up on a plane and says is there a doctor on board, I don't want to be the shmuck who stands up and is like, "well I don't know what to do about your chest pain but I can read a diffusion weighted MRI reaaaallly well."

This is a little much. Radiologists are an essential part of the healthcare team. I can respect your interests, and your posts are generally pretty good, but this one seems off target.

lol @ premeds in here.

Tell me about it. :(

"Oh hey my step 1 went up by 30 points so i decided to go from talking to people in clinic every day to talking to people never"

I know, that's pretty awesome right? Study HARD for step 1 kids!

Reactions: 1 user
lol @ premeds in here.

What makes you say that cards got demolished? Any proof of actual newly made cardiologists having trouble finding work or making little $$? And you do know that a cardiologist can do things other than coronary stenting? How about reading EKG, doing a workup for PAD. Even injecting varicose veins. I bet that most people would prefer to go to a cardiologist over a primary care dr for anything like varicose veins or anything else beyong a basic lipid/sugar/hypertension check. So you can choose lucrative procedures whatever they might be.

Dumbest list ever... "Oh hey my step 1 went up by 30 points so i decided to go from talking to people in clinic every day to talking to people never"

I think one of the problems with that list is that step1 scores are not as important for some of those specialties. My score is well into that "radiology" range. But I don't I'd be able to get ophtho even if it were definitely my #1 choice.

What makes you say that cards got demolished? Any proof of actual newly made cardiologists having trouble finding work or making little $$? And you do know that a cardiologist can do things other than coronary stenting? How about reading EKG, doing a workup for PAD. Even injecting varicose veins. I bet that most people would prefer to go to a cardiologist over a primary care dr for anything like varicose veins or anything else beyong a basic lipid/sugar/hypertension check. So you can choose lucrative procedures whatever they might be.

I replied in your other thread on this issue. You can believe whatever you want, but many are running away from cards as fast as they can. You need to love it to do it. Also, I would never hire a cardiologist to do primary care. You are so far removed from general medicine at that point that I wouldn't have much faith you could handle common derm, ortho, neuro, etc problems that need to be managed in primary care without referring every patient. It is easy to do sh*tty primary care, but in the concierge clinics of the future sh*tty primary care won't be enough.

Also, I believe Optho and Rads are about the same in terms of average step, somewhere around 235.

lol you know how much reading an ekg pays? I wouldn't exactly put that in the lucrative things to do category

this might be a dumb question but I'm going to ask: What specialty is required or recommended if you want to work as a hospitalist?

I did a radiology elective in medical school and thought I would slit my wrists by the end. You can keep it.

Nope. Same city, different program.

Wonder what ***** troll hacked Instate's username?

So, what you're saying is that you made your career decision based on a hypothetical situation that you MIGHT encounter once in your life? Amazing logic. You're going to do a heart cath on that dude mid-flight, right? Or does no one else know how to give some aspirin and suggest that the pilot land to get the guy to the hospital? Or are you going to open up the airplane medical service and perform an EKG and administer appropriate treatment? Before you respond, yes, I realize that it was a simple analogy for why you chose medicine. While no one can be as great as you, I'm not a complete *****.

I just hope you make all of the final reads on your CXR's, chest CT's, abdominal and pelvic CT's, etc. and never look at the radiologist's final report before treating a patient. I also hope you never sent a patient to IR to have an ablation, drainage, etc performed and just do it yourself. It's amazing to me that a valuable consult service can be minimalized into "they're just technicians." I guess ID is "just a bunch of technicians" because Google can tell me what to treat that tough gram negative infection with. Path is also just a bunch of technologists because they only provide a definitive diagnosis.

While you're usually simply arrogant about your residency program, this is probably the worst overall post that I've ever seen you make. Are you doing your fellowship at Hopkins? If so, I hope to god that you don't become an attending there...I don't know if the internet can handle such an unfathomable level of douchebaggary.

Last edited:
this might be a dumb question but I'm going to ask: What specialty is required or recommended if you want to work as a hospitalist?

Internal medicine if you know you want to be a hospitalist forever.

One of the FM residents during my FM rotation was going to start out being a nocturnist in a smaller hospital, then transition to out-patient whole family care whenever he got older.

One of the FM residents during my FM rotation was going to start out being a nocturnist in a smaller hospital, then transition to out-patient whole family care whenever he got older.

thanks. Can you do it with others besides IM and FM? not really?

Peds has hospitalists. They seem to love their job more than medicine hospitalists, at least at my institution.

Psych has a hospitalist-type role, they call it consult-liason/ psychosomatics. Surgical hospitalists exist under the title "acute care surgery" (ACS). There are also OBGYN hospitalists who cover L&D. I believe there are some in neurology too.

Peds has hospitalists. They seem to love their job more than medicine hospitalists, at least at my institution.

Psych has a hospitalist-type role, they call it consult-liason/ psychosomatics. Surgical hospitalists exist under the title "acute care surgery" (ACS). There are also OBGYN hospitalists who cover L&D. I believe there are some in neurology too.

What they are trying to say is medicine in general is moving towards a more shift work oriented profession.

190 - neurology
200 - neurology
210 - general surgery
220 - general surgery
230 - general surgery
240 - otolaryngology
250 - otolaryngology
260 - otolaryngology
270 - otolaryngology
280 - occupational medicine

190 - neurology
200 - neurology
210 - general surgery
220 - general surgery
230 - general surgery
240 - otolaryngology
250 - otolaryngology
260 - otolaryngology
270 - otolaryngology
280 - occupational medicine

Well played sir, hilarious.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Wonder what ***** troll hacked Instate's username?

So, what you're saying is that you made your career decision based on a hypothetical situation that you MIGHT encounter once in your life? Amazing logic. You're going to do a heart cath on that dude mid-flight, right? Or does no one else know how to give some aspirin and suggest that the pilot land to get the guy to the hospital? Or are you going to open up the airplane medical service and perform an EKG and administer appropriate treatment? Before you respond, yes, I realize that it was a simple analogy for why you chose medicine. While no one can be as great as you, I'm not a complete *****.

I just hope you make all of the final reads on your CXR's, chest CT's, abdominal and pelvic CT's, etc. and never look at the radiologist's final report before treating a patient. I also hope you never sent a patient to IR to have an ablation, drainage, etc performed and just do it yourself. It's amazing to me that a valuable consult service can be minimalized into "they're just technicians." I guess ID is "just a bunch of technicians" because Google can tell me what to treat that tough gram negative infection with. Path is also just a bunch of technologists because they only provide a definitive diagnosis.

While you're usually simply arrogant about your residency program, this is probably the worst overall post that I've ever seen you make. Are you doing your fellowship at Hopkins? If so, I hope to god that you don't become an attending there...I don't know if the internet can handle such an unfathomable level of douchebaggary.

+1 Guy obviously has no respect for his colleagues. Total douchenozzle. Cardiology is best doctor: Super Ultra Doctor Status.