Your backup plan.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrBoba

Take a Cue! pic with me!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a bit pessimistic, but I just want to know what you guys are planning for yourselves.

Do any of you have back-up careers if pharmacy ends up not working out for you? What types of other careers have the same background as pharmacy?

I've started to show an increased interest in radiology, but I still love pharmacy, and it is my first choice. I have to look into radiology and see if it will work as a back up for me, if I'm not good enough for pharmacy (not that radiology would be any easier, anyway).

Members don't see this ad.

i have no backup... a wise woman once told me that if you have something to fall back on then you are going to fall back... with that said... it should also be noted that i a "career changer" (i feel funny calling myself that since i have only worked in the field for a few years)

This may be a bit pessimistic, but I just want to know what you guys are planning for yourselves.

Do any of you have back-up careers if pharmacy ends up not working out for you? What types of other careers have the same background as pharmacy?

I've started to show an increased interest in radiology, but I still love pharmacy, and it is my first choice. I have to look into radiology and see if it will work as a back up for me, if I'm not good enough for pharmacy (not that radiology would be any easier, anyway).

What do you mean if pharmacy doesn't work out? Do you mean if someone applies for 10 years in a row and gets denied from every school? I suppose at that point I would give up all hope and just move to europe and become a vagabond. That's my 2nd career choice and it doesn't even require any schooling. :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad :)
i have no backup... a wise woman once told me that if you have something to fall back on then you are going to fall back... with that said... it should also be noted that i a "career changer" (i feel funny calling myself that since i have only worked in the field for a few years)
Love it:thumbup:

I guess I'll step up to the plate first.

I have always thought that it would be kind of cool to become a chemical engineer if the whole pharmacy thing doesn't work out. And if that doesn't fly then maybe become a teacher and teach a high school chem AP class or a college inorganic chem course.

IDK guys... Being accepted into pharmacy school and becoming a pharmacist is one of my biggest aspirations in life (just as I'm sure that it's one of yours as well) but if for some unforeseeable reason it doesn't happen, it couldn't hurt to have a backup plan.

Nonsense!

Its in my personality to have a 2nd, 3rd and 4th back up plan for whatever I do. I have MANY interests in a lot of things and Pharmacy isn't my only avenue for being successfull. It's in my best interest to explore every possible. Engineering, continuing in the biotech industry, clinical study operations, owning my own business, other healthcare vocations, continuing real estate on the side.

I see things like this: you only get one shot at life. If you knock on a door and it doesn't open, moive on because you have four other doors that you can open in order to supplement living a happy life. I like to live in reality, so I smirk when I read the above posts.

GREAT post, but I don't think theres many people that think like me.

probably keep trying pharmacy. im not really sure what else i would do, or if it didnt work out. med school has been in the back of my mind , but that would require another extra year to get a degree, and by that time i will be out of money.... so.. pharmacy school or bust!

Don't give up. Keep trying and you will eventually get there. Check out the sig. =)

I didn't make a backup plan, and the thought of failure was enough motivation for me to sit down everyday at the library and study until I knew my notes/book down cold. Alot of people will say, they don't have time, or its too much info to cover, or they are hungry, or whatever. Trust me, if you want something bad enough, you will make the time.

Great to see how many of you are so determined. It's such an inspiration.

I will have a back up plan just in case, but I don't even know when I'd use the plan. I want to get into pharmacy so bad, just like all of you guys, I'd probably keep applying for at least 5 years. :hardy:

What are you talking about? Pharmacy IS the backup to my backup plan!

I was supposed to be a professional motorcycle racer....... but my sponsorship deal fell through. :(

My backup for that was professional golfer but it turns out I stink at golf...

so Pharmacy School here I come.

;)

Sometimes, even if you have multiple backup plans, things just fail. I'm a case in point.

I applied to med school, pharmacy school, and graduate school. In case that did not work, I already had a degree in accounting which I could fall back on. I got into a grad school, but what am I doing now? Sitting on my behind while I search for a way to pay for pharmacy school, which I've deferred for a year (long and sad story. Don't ask).

I do
Nonsense!

Its in my personality to have a 2nd, 3rd and 4th back up plan for whatever I do. I have MANY interests in a lot of things and Pharmacy isn't my only avenue for being successfull. It's in my best interest to explore every possible. Engineering, continuing in the biotech industry, clinical study operations, owning my own business, other healthcare vocations, continuing real estate on the side.

I see things like this: you only get one shot at life. If you knock on a door and it doesn't open, moive on because you have four other doors that you can open in order to supplement living a happy life. I like to live in reality, so I smirk when I read the above posts.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a current Walgreens Assistant Manager, I guess I could always fall back on that and become a Store Manager within a few years if I so desired....

But, I am fully dedicated, focused and determined to become a Pharmacist. This is what interests me, and I will actually enjoy my work...not just work to work...blah!

That said, as a rational and logical person (which many of us are), you must always have some sort of fall-back plan. It's not too wise to put ALL your eggs in one basket. I put about 80-90% of my eggs in the Pharmacy basket.

Stay positive, focused, determined and don't expect to use your fall-back plan...only expect to succeed.

I have a few backup plans in my back pocket in case Pharmacy doesn't work out for me...I am also looking into medicine (as if that's any easier LOL), PA, RN and public health. I just want to be working a healthcare career that involves meeting with patients, learning about drugs/medicine, diseases...anything to get away from what I have been doing for the past 6 years! :rolleyes:

Haven't really thought about it. My more immediate concern is getting into Pharmacy school. As far as a backup plan for that, I don't really have one.. I'm just praying for the best, and if not.. I suppose I will re-apply next year.

Nonsense!

:thumbup:

Alot of people aren't in touch with reality and don't realize the statistics. lets do a typical scenario 1500 applicants applied and 120 get accepted
which turns out to be 92% get denied. The number applied may seem high but remember competition is going up and i was using typical stats in Florida schools. A backup is one way to safegard yourself but you should never give up on your first try bc if i did then i would not be in pharmacy school :D. I had a backup the second time that i applied to this year and actually got in :laugh: but thankfully i also got into pharm school which didn't turn out to be the school i wanted but so far it's pretty good plus u spend the majority of your time studying wherever you go.

I am a realist. I do realize that have to have a fallback plan. I am just gonna continue trying to do my best and get the bachelors in Bio with good grades and apply and apply and apply till I am in...

:thumbup:

Alot of people aren't in touch with reality and don't realize the statistics. lets do a typical scenario 1500 applicants applied and 120 get accepted
which turns out to be 92% get denied. The number applied may seem high but remember competition is going up and i was using typical stats in Florida schools. A backup is one way to safegard yourself but you should never give up on your first try bc if i did then i would not be in pharmacy school :D. I had a backup the second time that i applied to this year and actually got in :laugh: but thankfully i also got into pharm school which didn't turn out to be the school i wanted but so far it's pretty good plus u spend the majority of your time studying wherever you go.

I think the thing that most people dont consider is that not everyone that applies is competitive, some people change their mind about pharmacy, some people die, some have life changes, some drop out of school, some dont finish pre-req's, marriage, pregnancy, etc....

I point all that out, though I am curious how many are realistic applicants... Wish there were some statistics specifically on that.

Never had a backup plan here...Go big or go home.

My backup is pharmaceutical sales. Having the backup plan was the only way I could convince my husband that spending the next 2 years taking prereqs at community college is worth the sacrifice on our family.

I think the thing that most people dont consider is that not everyone that applies is competitive, some people change their mind about pharmacy, some people die, some have life changes, some drop out of school, some dont finish pre-req's, marriage, pregnancy, etc....

I point all that out, though I am curious how many are realistic applicants... Wish there were some statistics specifically on that.

I agree, this is a very valid point that most people don't take into account. A pharmacy school rep. from UIC came to our school once and said that while they receive about 1500 applications per year, only about 850 of them are "complete" (ie meet the minimum requirements to even have them looked at).

I agree... .

I like your username.

I guess I really don't need to think about creating a backup plan this soon into my pre-pharmacy career. I didn't even start freshman year in undergrad yet.

Gotta focussss on getting ready for school in a couple weeks.

This is my last yr of undergrad.. If I don't get into pharmacy for next year I don't know what I'm doing. I would like to keep applying until I get in but what would I do next year? For those of you who finished your BSC what did you do after if you didn't get in right away?

This is my last yr of undergrad.. If I don't get into pharmacy for next year I don't know what I'm doing. I would like to keep applying until I get in but what would I do next year? For those of you who finished your BSC what did you do after if you didn't get in right away?

I withdrew my application for graduation so I could go back, take a few extra classes and graduate with a double major, all while paying undergraduate tuition fees instead of graduate or post bac.

My back up plan is essentially research. I'd probably apply for a Ph. D later on, if I didn't get in this year.

well when I decided to do prepharm, I decided if I don't get accepted anywhere I'll just go back to school, take the classes I need to get my second bachelor's in accounting and then just do my masters in accounting and take the CPA exam and start doing taxes FOR pharmacists.. either that or find a job in the finance field, work for a few years, and then go for a MBA, teach, and then maybe a PhD later on in life. I'll be applying next yr to pharm D programs so lets see what happens!

well my grades for my bachelor in psych are great and im gonna have 2+ years of pharm tech experience by the time i apply.
i goal is to get at least 70% As and 30% Bs in prepharm work.
i also plan on studying for the pcat to get 90%+ percentile.

basically i am on a die hard mission to get into pharm school.
there's is no plan b.

pharm school or bust!

Well, had I not gotten in I was going to either be a math teacher, or go into photography. How any of that relates to each other, I have no idea. But those were my interests, and that's what I was going with.

Of course, I was going to try and apply one more time in the event I didn't get in before switching majors. I think its good to give it another shot, but its also somewhat foolish not to have a backup plan. Just because its all you've ever wanted doesn't mean that its meant to be.

Move to the island of Murano and become a professional glassblower.

I thought about sales, then realized I couldn't sell my way out of a paper bag, and I'm really enthusiastic about learning more about pharmacokinetics, so my backup plan is if I don't get in this year, try again 1 more year, then go into a masters program for a teaching certificate. by that time I may have a second bachelors in chemistry to go along with my biology, so I'd make one heck of a high school teacher for some district. Nice thing is, most places need a life sciences teacher. :idea:

I have also heard some say this is a question you may be asked during interviews? anyone else ever had this asked?

I have also heard some say this is a question you may be asked during interviews? anyone else ever had this asked?

They asked what I would do if I don't get accepted into pharmacy school this year... I replied that I would continue with into a 5th year where I would take upper level science classes. But I completely forgot to mention that I would reapply again :scared:. I think that was one of the reasons that got me on the waitlist.

Hmm, i thought I had replied to this thread, and came to update it. Anyway my backup plan was to go into Healthcare Administration, helping the elderly.

After giving it much thought, the backup is no longer the backup. My reasoning for going into Pharmacy were not, in my opinion the reasons to go into it. For me, Pharmacy was a career that I could have anywhere (we move a lot for my husbands career), flexible schedule and high paycheck. I think a person needs to really have a passion for what they do, like many of you seem to have.

Thank you SO very much for all the information I have read on this site, it truly helped me realize what I needed to do. I wish you all luck on your quest.:)

If I don't get in this year, reapply next year with a degree to more schools. If I don't get in next year, I'll either go into research, or get another degree in either nutrition, accounting, or finance and work in one of those fields.

I hadn't thought about it at all, and this thread scared me at first lol. But then I sat down and thought about it and figured it out

They asked what I would do if I don't get accepted into pharmacy school this year... I replied that I would continue with into a 5th year where I would take upper level science classes. But I completely forgot to mention that I would reapply again :scared:. I think that was one of the reasons that got me on the waitlist.

I got that question. I told them that I never thought about being rejected because the probability of me not getting accepted this year was pretty low, and that one of the schools will pick me up based on my experience, grades, confidence, and maturity. :D I also added that if I were to get rejected, I would reapply again, while continuing to pursue other academic objectives.

I got that question. I told them that I never thought about being rejected because the probability of me not getting accepted this year was pretty low, and that one of the schools will pick me up based on my experience, grades, confidence, and maturity. :D I also added that if I were to get rejected, I would reapply again, while continuing to pursue other academic objectives.

you didn't actually say that did you? hahaha.. then they must've picked you for your confidence ;)

My backup is either to pursue a career as a pilot or study lingustics and arabic at the graduate level. I also used to be an over-the-road truck driver and I could use that experience combined with my college degree to go into logistics management at a trucking company. I would really enjoy that as well. I have many interest so if for some reason pharmacy doesn't work out, there are other avenues to explore.