Your Best Stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HLxDrummer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to see if any of you wanted to share stories of your experiences in the ED. Sad, inspiring, funny, whatever. I am an MS3 looking to do EM and love reading about everyone's experiences in the ED. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The "Things I learn from my patients" thread mentioned above is the funny one.

The "Medicine Sucks" thread is the tearjerker.

I remember it like it was yesterday. 70-something yr female with a chief complaint of not feeling well and cough x 2 days, insists something just isn't right. 3 prior admissions in last 2 months for dyspnea with a neg. CTPE, 2-D echo, and stress test . Vital signs completely normal. Physical exam shows obvious URI symptoms. Cardiac work-up and CXR completely normal. Discussed with patient that we aren't finding the big bad things that would need hospital admission. Pt accepted that explanation, thanked me for taking care of her, and while I'm delivering my spiel regarding outpatient f/u she mentioned that she has an appointment with both her PCP and cardiologist tomorrow. Shortly after that, the hospitalist who normally takes forever to call back and acts like you're trying to sodomize his dog every time you admit a patient called back 10 minutes after being paged. He accepted the ESRD patient with chest pain during dialysis without a peep. Then I had a 78 yo lady from the nursing home with changed mental status and the nurse saw the order for the UA and realized that the patient wore a diaper and so straight cath'd the patient right after drawing blood. And after dispo'ing her I was able to finish up my t-sheets, leave on time, and make it home to tuck the kids into bed.

DISCLAIMER: Due to HIPAA, some identifying information has been changed. Additionally, some of these patients and situations are composites. The above is not a typical day and your results may vary.

Reactions: 1 user
I remember it like it was yesterday. 70-something yr female with a chief complaint of not feeling well and cough x 2 days, insists something just isn't right. 3 prior admissions in last 2 months for dyspnea with a neg. CTPE, 2-D echo, and stress test . Vital signs completely normal. Physical exam shows obvious URI symptoms. Cardiac work-up and CXR completely normal. Discussed with patient that we aren't finding the big bad things that would need hospital admission. Pt accepted that explanation, thanked me for taking care of her, and while I'm delivering my spiel regarding outpatient f/u she mentioned that she has an appointment with both her PCP and cardiologist tomorrow. Shortly after that, the hospitalist who normally takes forever to call back and acts like you're trying to sodomize his dog every time you admit a patient called back 10 minutes after being paged. He accepted the ESRD patient with chest pain during dialysis without a peep. Then I had a 78 yo lady from the nursing home with changed mental status and the nurse saw the order for the UA and realized that the patient wore a diaper and so straight cath'd the patient right after drawing blood. And after dispo'ing her I was able to finish up my t-sheets, leave on time, and make it home to tuck the kids into bed.

DISCLAIMER: Due to HIPAA, some identifying information has been changed. Additionally, some of these patients and situations are composites. The above is not a typical day and your results may vary.

HAAAAAAWWWW !

Due to confidentiality issues, you conveniently "forgot" about being given big bear hugs the next day from the hospitalist and cardiologist for "doing such a great job," plus the glowing thank you note from the patient's insurance company about your dedication and keen eye towards the Choosing Wisely guidelines. Oh...and that the hospital CEO came by the ED the next day for nothing in particular, but just to say, "Thanks for all you do," delivered with an awkward wink-wink and a hustle tap.

Last edited: