Your better off being a complete incompetent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sivastraba

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am more that halfway through my internship and one thing I have come to realize is that your better off not knowing a lot and having a poor medical database. Resident's usually exploit/overwork the one's who do the best work. There have been plenty of times that I have had to pick up my co-inten's slack as well as the medstudents. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I am more that halfway through my internship and one thing I have come to realize is that your better off not knowing a lot and having a poor medical database. Resident's usually exploit/overwork the one's who do the best work. There have been plenty of times that I have had to pick up my co-inten's slack as well as the medstudents. Any thoughts or suggestions?

quit yer bitching. YOU'RE suposed to take up the students slack.

I am more that halfway through my internship and one thing I have come to realize is that your better off not knowing a lot and having a poor medical database.

Am I missing something? When did intelligence and a good work ethic become bad things...? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I There have been plenty of times that I have had to pick up my co-inten's slack as well as the medstudents. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Please define "medstudents slack".
Thanks.

There is some truth to this...

My prelim year is at a program with a great number of IMGs. In the first half of the year, the prelims (all US grads) tend to pick up the slack for the IMGs that do not know the system. During my first 2 months of wards, I carried about twice the amount of pts as my colleagues...it was not fair, but it made the resident's life easier because I understood that things like daily notes, discharge summaries, etc were not negotiable.

Things have equalized more as the year has gone on...but if you are a strong intern, you will be taken advantage of...just the way the system works.

I actually carry all patients on all the inpatient services while my co-interns go on vacation :laugh:

I think strong interns reduce senior resident workload, not other interns generally.

M program has one intern that we all thought was seriously incompetent at the beginning of the year....he gets fewer calls now and got to take a vacation during trauma (which is a no vacation month). He is smarter than all of us -wish I would have played incompetent. It is just against my pathetically well developed work ethic. BTW I give more work to the more competent medical students because I know they can do it and I think they appreciate the experience....I am sure senior residents do the same to interns. I am not talking about true scut - I am talking about stitching people up, going into cases with attendings - the good kind of work in surgery!