Your chances of getting into Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Assess your chances of succeful matching into Radiology

• Shoe In (90% or better)

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • High Likelihood (75% plus)

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Likely (50% plus)

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Less likely (25% plus)

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • No chance in hell (less than 25%)

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters

Ctrhu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Assees your chances of getting into a Radiology program:

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who consider yourselves a "shoe in" - Congratulations!!

Unless my rich uncle was the CEO of Acuson, and had promised my program directors a fleet of new US machines with a variety pack of transducers, I would never consider myself a "shoe in," even though I feel that I have a strong application.

I like to think that it is likely that I will get rads, I will feel much better in March, when I receive notification that I did, indeed, match.

Good luck to all of you who are applying and hoping for the best field of medicine!

I applaud those who thought they had "no chance in hell' and made the effort anyway. I wish you the best of luck and hope you are wrong about your chances.
:laugh: :clap: :laugh: :clap: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone read the Pfizer free book about residency? I read it in my third year, having not liked the core rotations I was going through. The radiologist talked about how after a lousy night on call as an OBGyn resident, he walked over to the Radiology Department and switched residency. I didn't know the field had changed since then. Is this book still passing out inaccurate information?

Originally posted by Ctrhu
Did anyone read the Pfizer free book about residency? I read it in my third year, having not liked the core rotations I was going through. The radiologist talked about how after a lousy night on call as an OBGyn resident, he walked over to the Radiology Department and switched residency. I didn't know the field had changed since then. Is this book still passing out inaccurate information?
It probably was accurate for when he was a resident, but times certainly have changed. Just 10 yrs ago, radiology was considered a very non-competetive residency (I think that it almost got to the point where say pathology is now). As early as when I was in college (6 yrs ago), a physician was telling me that all fields except for radiology and pathology were good, because those specialties had people who he knew had difficulty finding a job. 10 yrs ago, a GI fellow was telling me how you couldn't pay people enough to go into GI. Managed care, changing technology, and a very strong push driving more medical students to look for lifestyle issues have made radiology very competetive these days. So even though you could probably transfer from OB/gyn to radiology these days, with all the government regulations, radiology's newfound competetiveness, and program rules, it wouldn't be as simple as walking across the hall. I always think that it's amusing when you talk with your classmates and it seems like no one is basing their residency decision on money and lifestyle. Then when you look at the most competetive fields, they are almost always the programs with the most money and best lifestyle.

Actually CKENT, radiology has been a competitive specialty for most of the 80s and 90s. There was a period roughly 1995-1998 where radiology as well as many other specialities (GI, Card., etc.) were not very competitive due to the emergence of HMOs and the push for more primary care doctors.