Your current salary poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Current Salary

• 30-50k

Votes: 54 64.3%
  • 50-70k

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • 70-90k

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • 90-110k

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • over 110k

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters

macpappy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious what everybody's current salary is. I want to know what people are giving up to go to DO school. Are we talking 30K a year or 80K a year? :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently making about 25,000 before taxes, my take home is about 18,000. I am in about 10,000 dollars worth of credit debt and I spend money like a mad man.

Members don't see this ad :)
6k... total for the year. :thumbup:

2g's went to the down payment of the school and another for misc. stuff for school. that makes the remainder 3g's spent and gone on lord knows what...

btw, there's not enough options on the poll for folks like me.

The poll is now up. I'm 45k, since I asked everybody else I thought I would come clean....

I guess I can't participate since I am still in college and make less than 10k a year... :(

6 figs, all housing costs, full insurance benefits - all i pay for right now is cable, cell phone, and food.

here here!

WHere is the negative ranking too? I am all in loans!

eadysx said:
I am a Paramedic. I make less than 30k... where is the tab for us poor folk?? :smuggrin:

E-

Yeah, same here. Discriminattion based on socioeconomic status eh?

A LOT of people make less than 30K; you can live quite well in the Midwest for what would be considered chump change in a metropolis.

I never broke 30K, and voluntarily take a really low salary right now. In umpity ump years, Mr. Molly gets a chance to not work as a reward for supporting me. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
mollybo said:
A LOT of people make less than 30K; you can live quite well in the Midwest for what would be considered chump change in a metropolis.

I would have agreed with you...UNTIL I STARTED SPENDING $2.23/gallon FOR GAS!!!!!! :smuggrin:

Seven digits...........but two are behind the decimal point

gr8n said:
I would have agreed with you...UNTIL I STARTED SPENDING $2.23/gallon FOR GAS!!!!!! :smuggrin:

One of the nice things about living in Oklahoma besides the lower cost of living in general is that we have the lowest cost of gas in the nation. Currently about $1.74/gal - though that's still too high for me! As for my current salary, I'm at 25k....that's down from 34k two years ago. Arthur Anderson/Enron really screwed the accounting industry over. That combined with the tight job market, means that full-charge bookkeepers can only expect to make now just slightly more than what most untrained clerical workers make.

50k with on call pay and overtime

35k, 9-5er with all benefits... but i cant wait to leave! (2 more days!!)

medic170 said:
Yeah, same here. Discriminattion based on socioeconomic status eh?

Maybe I didn't explain my poll very well so here it goes. I don't necessarily need to know that somebody making 10k a year and wants to go to medical school. That is a NO BRAINER!! I want to hear the stories of the guy that makes 80k and wants to go to medical school or the guy that makes 100k and is giving it all up to go to medical school. I have been a student, made 10k and 20k with a wife and family. I have been there and done that. If you don't like my poll start your own....

As a paramedic, with a great union and working a fair amount of overtime, I make about 75k/year. It will be very hard to loose my disposable income, but my eye is on the prize!

mollybo said:
That must be nice I live in San Diego. I make far less then 30k and I am paying off my student loans. Gas is almost $3.00 and I won't even get started on what rent is like. I am not giving up a thing but sleeping at night. i can't wait to start school. :p

zreagle said:
As a paramedic, with a great union and working a fair amount of overtime, I make about 75k/year. It will be very hard to loose my disposable income, but my eye is on the prize!

WOW! Mind if I ask what part of the US you work(ed) in? Sounds like I am (at least for my last month on the job!) in the wrong part. :D

E-

well I am working part-time 12 hrs per week while finnishing up prereqs but am making around 30k. If I was working full time I would be making quite a bit more. I am not going to enjoy living in debt, but it will all work out.

zreagle said:
Do you work the road? I have been in EMS for a long time, and I have NEVER heard of such an astronomical salary for a medic, not even officers in municipalities. If you don't mind me asking, where in the world do you make a salary like that as a medic? Highest I have EVER heard of is high 50's, and thats with FF1 and 2, I/c training, and a BS in an area with high costs of living.

macpappy said:
Maybe I didn't explain my poll very well so here it goes. I don't necessarily need to know that somebody making 10k a year and wants to go to medical school. That is a NO BRAINER!! I want to hear the stories of the guy that makes 80k and wants to go to medical school or the guy that makes 100k and is giving it all up to go to medical school. I have been a student, made 10k and 20k with a wife and family. I have been there and done that. If you don't like my poll start your own....

Well, excuse me for being sarcastic ;) Besides, your poll title says "Your current salary poll" not " Your current salary poll for the guy that makes 80k and wants to go to medical school or the guy that makes 100k and is giving it all up to go to medical school."
macpappy said:
I don't necessarily need to know that somebody making 10k a year and wants to go to medical school. That is a NO BRAINER!

What do you mean by that?

macpappy said:
If you don't like my poll start your own....

Dude, chill out. I was only joking. No need to get pissy.

31K teaching school

Actually, a good question should be. If I got a job that paid over XXX, I won't pursue MD/DO degree.

Right now, I don't know there is a number for me since I am a former IT/engineer.

Around 30K, including benefits- 1 month vacation, 30 sick days, etc. And 403b...

8 days and I'm outta here!!! Whee!!!