Your Exercise History

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wow, some of you people are impressive. i try to eat healthy, but once a night is "girls night" which means mozzarella cheese fries with gravy and chocolate chip pancakes. But i figure it's only once a month, so it's not that bad. i don't drink soda anymore. i skate around 6 hours a week, do pilates every other day (i try to actually) and i tend to do a lot of jumping at work cause i get bored and need to stay awake. If i have time, i might go for a run. Nothing too crazy.

Members don't see this ad.

melimi said:
1hr x-trainer, 1hr running, .5hrs stairs (ive got mad nice legs, jejejeje)
i do all at the gym right now cuz its too cold for me to run outside, my lungs would collapse, but hopefully ill be back on the charles come spring

Wow! Truly inspirational. I'm psyched if I get in an hour of cardio! Good for you. Can't wait until the weather gets nice enough to run outside on a routine basis.....today was actually pretty nice, so I think we're almost there.

I am a proponent of the raw diet. I don't eat anything cooked. I also consume 100g or more of protein - largely from whey and soy products. I lift very heavy weights three times a week and run 5 to 10 miles once a week. I swim every other evening. I never drink alcohol and I never smoke. I drink just water. In the end, I am rewarded with this fabulous, truly spectacular physique. Don't hate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am somewhat of a health freak. I make it to the gym 5 days a week, where my "routine" is to bike for 35 minutes and run for 20 minutes on the treadmill. The biking is more of an excuse to read for fun than anything. :D As for food ... well, I probably eat more processed foods than I should. I drink a lot of diet soda, but I also drink a lot of water. I am conscious of fat and caloric intake, and try to get most of the recommended amounts of nutrients through food (I take a multivitamin as backup, though).

kc123 said:
In response to another poster, I work at a hospital, and there are always 3-4 doctors each year (just in our unit) that do the marathon! I've always taken note of that. Doctors that aren't even in particularly good shape or you would think of as being athletic do the marathon and just take it slow! Someday, I'd like to do a half-marathon maybe! I think a full marathon is a little insane....but maybe someday I'll change my mind.

I've never run a marathon, and I'm not sure I'd like to. My father ran marathons and did triathalons when I was growing up, and it was always really exciting. But now he says that was the folly of youth, and he thinks marathons are too rough on the body. I'm not sure, but I myself would probably not do it because I had JRA (which has been in remission about a year), and so my joints aren't really up to snuff, although I ran whenever I was well enough growing up. The longest I've raced is 10 miles, which is a good distance. Actually I think my favorite distance to race might be 8k or 5 miles. But like you say, I may change my mind someday :)

UCLAstudent said:
I drink a lot of diet soda, but I also drink a lot of water. I am conscious of fat and caloric intake, and try to get most of the recommended amounts of nutrients through food (I take a multivitamin as backup, though).

I've tried to cut out diet soda, but it's hard. As a woman, I worry about my bones and calcium intake, and soda is just about the worst thing I could take in on that front. I don't really think multivitamins are so healthy, actually. It seems we should get our vitamins in our food, and taking too much might be bad. I know they periodically come out with studies showing that high vitamin intake isn't so great, like recent data concerning vitamin E; then again, it's the fat-soluble vitamins we'd worry about, I guess. I do take a multivitamin currently, but that's only because my husband and I want to have a baby before I go to med school, so I have to make sure I get enough of everything.

Oh, and also my mother sent me this book recently called "Dr. Ann's 10-Step Diet", which talks about diet soda. Now, I'm definitely not a person to follow a fad diet, but neither is my mother, and apparently she got turned on to this book when she met the woman (who graduated top in her class from MUSC in Charleston, where my parents live). Anyway, this Dr. Ann woman mentions that some people have an insulin response to just the sweet taste of diet soda, without even having the sugar, and that she had one patient who lost a bunch of weight just cutting out the diet soda. I guess that's plausable. She says it's only some people, though.

tigress said:
I've never run a marathon, and I'm not sure I'd like to. My father ran marathons and did triathalons when I was growing up, and it was always really exciting. But now he says that was the folly of youth, and he thinks marathons are too rough on the body. I'm not sure, but I myself would probably not do it because I had JRA (which has been in remission about a year), and so my joints aren't really up to snuff, although I ran whenever I was well enough growing up. The longest I've raced is 10 miles, which is a good distance. Actually I think my favorite distance to race might be 8k or 5 miles. But like you say, I may change my mind someday :)

I've tried to cut out diet soda, but it's hard. As a woman, I worry about my bones and calcium intake, and soda is just about the worst thing I could take in on that front. I don't really think multivitamins are so healthy, actually. It seems we should get our vitamins in our food, and taking too much might be bad. I know they periodically come out with studies showing that high vitamin intake isn't so great, like recent data concerning vitamin E; then again, it's the fat-soluble vitamins we'd worry about, I guess. I do take a multivitamin currently, but that's only because my husband and I want to have a baby before I go to med school, so I have to make sure I get enough of everything.

Oh, and also my mother sent me this book recently called "Dr. Ann's 10-Step Diet", which talks about diet soda. Now, I'm definitely not a person to follow a fad diet, but neither is my mother, and apparently she got turned on to this book when she met the woman (who graduated top in her class from MUSC in Charleston, where my parents live). Anyway, this Dr. Ann woman mentions that some people have an insulin response to just the sweet taste of diet soda, without even having the sugar, and that she had one patient who lost a bunch of weight just cutting out the diet soda. I guess that's plausable. She says it's only some people, though.

I agree. I think full marathons are pretty tough on the body. But I definitely haven't done a lot of research. Just some anecdotal evidence from a couple of people I know who have run them. I'm reading a book right now called ChiRunning (great book), and the guy who is writing it runs ultra-marathons (50, sometimes 100 miles!), which seems COMPLETELY insane. But some people swear by the long distances. Maybe some marathon runners could voice their more knowlegeable opinions!!

As for the diet soda, it is a huge downfall for me. I love diet coke!! My grandmother (who is 90, so she knows a thing or two....actually, I lied, she turns 90 in August)....anyhow, everytime she sees me with diet coke, she's like, "That's a bone-robber, you know...." (she heard this term from her doctor.....funny, many things the doctor tells her really stick and she is fond of repeating them!)......I know she's right. One of these days, I'll give it up. :oops:

lightnk102 said:
i run in the dark when i get home. i just end up trying to be safe by wearing light-colored shirts, not wearing headphones, and only jogging around the two-block radius around my house (i do two laps).

As an experienced runner, I hope some people will take my advice seriously. I'm also very active on a women's running forum, and these are basically agreed-upon tips for staying safe. (sorry, I don't mean to sound patronizing or anything, I just want people to stay safe!)

Things to keep you safe when running:

1. Don't wear headphones EVER unless you are inside on a treadmill. Many running accidents occur when the runner can't hear what's going on around him/her due to wearing headphones.

2. If you run in the dark, wear a reflective vest. They're cheap (I got mine for maybe $5 at Target, I think) and they could save your life. Light colors are good too, but not enough. This is for anytime when it's not full daylight, including dusk and dawn.

3. For women especially, don't follow a predictable route. So don't always go out at 5:30 every morning and run the same route. Unfortunately, there are scary people out there who could learn your habits and use them to their advantage. It's best to change your route unpredictably, especially if you run at the same time every day.

4. Don't run in secluded areas alone. At night, stick to well-lit places within shouting distance of houses. During the day, just be careful not to go on a trail run or out in the country without at least a cell phone. Actually carrying a cell phone is always a good idea.

5. Try to avoid buying things like Mace or pepper spray. They probably won't help you, and could result in injury to yourself or other (innocent) people. If you are going to use this, take a training class in self-defense that includes instruction on how to properly carry and use the spray.

Lots of people like to run with running partners or groups to stay safe. Personally I like running alone a lot better. A lot of people also say that running in a group helps them stay motivated, because it's hard to let down your friend when you've planned a run together, so you're more likely to get out there and do it.

I really think running is a great sport. To me, it lets me get back to some sort of very basic fundamental awareness of being. I really loved it a few months ago when some scientists published a paper saying humans' body structure evolved to run. It can be a lot of fun once you're in good shape. The stuff I wrote above is mostly things that are recommended daily on the running forum I participate in, so hopefully everybody will consider them!

kc123 said:
I agree. I think full marathons are pretty tough on the body. But I definitely haven't done a lot of research. Just some anecdotal evidence from a couple of people I know who have run them. I'm reading a book right now called ChiRunning (great book), and the guy who is writing it runs ultra-marathons (50, sometimes 100 miles!), which seems COMPLETELY insane. But some people swear by the long distances. Maybe some marathon runners could voice their more knowlegeable opinions!!

The coolest thing, in my mind, about ultramarathons is that women win them! It seems like the only sport in which women actually have an advantage. Right now this guy Dean Karnazes is really popular since he wrote a book about ultramarathons. He was interviewed by Letterman the other night. Actually he's going to be on 60 minutes on March 27, along with Pam Reed, a woman ultramarathoner. I do think it's sort of crazy, but they'd probably agree :p . Again, the coolest thing being that women generally beat the men in the longer races :D

lightnk102 said:
i think i'm unfortunately one of the "skat" people that others referred to. i spent most of my life eating whatever i want and still staying skinny. though - i think skat people end up having more problems losing weight when they get older. i never had to learn self-control or good eating habits, so now that my metabolism is slowing down - its a problem. gaining 5 pounds isn't that much, but gaining 5 pounds ONLY AROUND YOUR STOMACH translates to a lot of inches.

ME TOO! As a kid, I was alwyas really underweight, so my parents let me eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. I became a voracious eater of potato chips, french fries, chocolate, icecream...everything, and didn't seem to gain any weight. My bad eating habits came back to haunt me in college though. I can physically feel that my metabolism is sluggish, and I don't feel hungry most of the time, but I get all these cravings (yes, I get cravings even though I'm NOT hungry), and alternate between weeks where I eat really healthily (nothing but salads) and weeks where I seem to exclusively eat chocolate...I think this must be some eating disorder that has yet to be characterized, but anyway, you are the first person I know to have a similar problem :)

I have a friend that used to be overweight and then one day just decided to lose it and run a marathon. Well he ran his marathon senior year and then his freshmen year of college trained for and ran an Ironman, which is a 2.4 mile swim followed by a 112 mile bike ride, followed by a full marathon all in one day. He did all this while being pre-med and making a 4.0 that semester. Hats off to him, as for me, I try to work out, but I always find myself on the short side of time.

saki0005 said:
The New York City Ballet workout is also a great choice. When I was motivated and I gave a damn, I used it...and saw immediate results.

I love this tape too!! Coming from a figure skating/dance background the hardest thing for me is to find things that don't bore me to death and don't kick in my exercise asthma that I can actually afford (skating and dance classes are out of my budget :( ). I stumbled on this tape and fell in love. Now I can do the first 40 minutes of any ballet class in the comfort of my own home :). My motivation still totally sux, but when I am motivated this is the only tape I'll do. I do walk approximately 2 miles a day most days of the week tho since my apartment is .5 miles from the main part of campus and I usually walk that twice a day, and if I feel like killing myself cardio-wise I'll take the "shortcut" of a dirt trail over a bluff that has a very, very steep start.

My diet is pretty much whatever in moderation. I eat pretty healthy for the most part - chicken, rice, fish, veggies, fruit, yogurt - but I'll still get the fries or burgers or pizza occasionally, and I definitely need the small chocolate fix every few days or so (usually reese's peanut butter cups :D ). My worst habits are the soda and smoking (leftover from my dance/theater days). My "plan" is to quit the smoking by the time I'm 35 which will also be about the time I'm starting med school (I hope). Thankfully I'm not a pack or more a day girl, unless I'm out having drinks all night, but it will definitely need the help of a smoking cessation program when I do quit. I'm not a size 3 anymore (height of my dance days), but I'm right in the middle of my "ideal" weight, and not the size 14/16 I ballooned up to when I was working full-time retail (still running my a$% off everyday since it was a two-floor stock room!) and only eating fast food.

tigress said:
I had JRA too growing up! My last flair up was in college, and I have all these secondary problems even now that I've been in remission for a while, because I am so used to limping. I recently finished a 3 month bout of PT where I learned to use my "bad leg" correctly (for some reason with me it's all on one side... hip, knee, ankle...)

Now I'm training for a half marathon, which I plan to run, not race, as it is my first. I ran track through high school, and ran recreationally when I could in college. I stopped running as much while applying for med school/studying for MCAT/etc, but now I'm getting back into it. I am so worried the JRA will come back while I'm in medical school and I'll lose my best stress reliever, in addition to the pain and stiffness.

KatieOConnor said:
I had JRA too growing up! My last flair up was in college, and I have all these secondary problems even now that I've been in remission for a while, because I am so used to limping. I recently finished a 3 month bout of PT where I learned to use my "bad leg" correctly (for some reason with me it's all on one side... hip, knee, ankle...)

Now I'm training for a half marathon, which I plan to run, not race, as it is my first. I ran track through high school, and ran recreationally when I could in college. I stopped running as much while applying for med school/studying for MCAT/etc, but now I'm getting back into it. I am so worried the JRA will come back while I'm in medical school and I'll lose my best stress reliever, in addition to the pain and stiffness.

Hey, that's really amazing! I don't think I've ever met another person with JRA who also runs. My doctor always said it was okay as long as I was up to it. I ran cross country in the beginning of high school, and then junior year my JRA flared up really badly and I missed half a year of school. The two weren't related though. That's so awesome that you're going to run a half marathon. Hats off to you!

I was on Enbrel for 3 years, and I still think that somehow "cured" me. I don't really believe I'm totally cured, but I am in remission. Somehow being on the Enbrel and other drugs for that long just sort of allowed my body time to fix itself up. lol...I was in grad school for immunology and I really do know better, but I like that explanation :) I am sort of scared of it coming back, but I figure I'll just enjoy whatever I can for now. I certainly hope it never will come back.

Good luck on your half marathon!!

Members don't see this ad :)
tigress said:
Hey, that's really amazing! I don't think I've ever met another person with JRA who also runs. My doctor always said it was okay as long as I was up to it. I ran cross country in the beginning of high school, and then junior year my JRA flared up really badly and I missed half a year of school. The two weren't related though. That's so awesome that you're going to run a half marathon. Hats off to you!

I was on Enbrel for 3 years, and I still think that somehow "cured" me. I don't really believe I'm totally cured, but I am in remission. Somehow being on the Enbrel and other drugs for that long just sort of allowed my body time to fix itself up. lol...I was in grad school for immunology and I really do know better, but I like that explanation :) I am sort of scared of it coming back, but I figure I'll just enjoy whatever I can for now. I certainly hope it never will come back.

Good luck on your half marathon!!

I've never met anyone else with JRA period! I was put on Azulfadine (I am not even sure if that's spelled correctly). I am not sure if that helped or if I would have gone into remission anyway. I've thought about going into Ped. Rheumatology, because medications have come so far in the last 25 years. When I was a kid, all they could do was pump me full of aspirin to the extent that when I lay down in the tub, I'd have bruises up and down my spine.

As for the running, I think it may have helped the JRA.

Good luck! I hope both of our remissions last!

Well I take my fitness very seriously...I am currently 180lbs at about 7-8% body fat.

Former competitive bodybuilder, NPC state champion. I don't take it that seriously anymore, but I still lift for fun!

funshine said:
ME TOO! As a kid, I was alwyas really underweight, so my parents let me eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. I became a voracious eater of potato chips, french fries, chocolate, icecream...everything, and didn't seem to gain any weight. My bad eating habits came back to haunt me in college though. I can physically feel that my metabolism is sluggish, and I don't feel hungry most of the time, but I get all these cravings (yes, I get cravings even though I'm NOT hungry), and alternate between weeks where I eat really healthily (nothing but salads) and weeks where I seem to exclusively eat chocolate...I think this must be some eating disorder that has yet to be characterized, but anyway, you are the first person I know to have a similar problem :)

I am like that too! In high school, I would average eating about 6 times a day, which included about three full meals. I would eat breakfast, have lunch at 10:30 (stupid high school early lunch period), have a snack at school at 2, go home and have another snack at 3, eat dinner at 4:20, go to work (at a Culver's, which definately was not healthy) for 5 to 10:15 and have a second dinner plus eating when the place was empty, and some days I would come home from work and find a snack in my house. And I managed to stay thin without working out since I didn't have time due to working 30+ hours a week. Then I came to college and gained my freshman 15 in the first semester, and a year later, I've lost that all and a little more since I cut down on the random amounts of eating. I've been trying to work out more with cardio 3 to 4 times a week and pilates about 5 times a week, but I'm one of those people that if I miss a day or two, then I'm off my routine for a while :( .

tigress said:
I really think running is a great sport. To me, it lets me get back to some sort of very basic fundamental awareness of being. I really loved it a few months ago when some scientists published a paper saying humans' body structure evolved to run. It can be a lot of fun once you're in good shape. The stuff I wrote above is mostly things that are recommended daily on the running forum I participate in, so hopefully everybody will consider them!

Hey Tigress, I LOVED that article!!! On the cover of Nature. There is nothing like a long trail run so I couldn't help but be drawn to the idea that we evolved for long runs.

As for the cardio thing, I'm a pretty serious triathlete (I'll be crawling into my first day of med school still sore and jet-lagged from getting my ass handed to me at Long Course Worlds in Denmark) so I doubt anyone wants to hear my ridiculous swim/bike/run/weights routines!!! :oops:

People tell me that I'm nuts, but the long lazy workouts bring a clarity of mind I just don't find any other way. I am far happier and more productive for the time spent working out. Not to mention the fantastic social aspect (or the eye candy at big races. Wow, some of the most gorgeous men you'll ever see). Triathletes are sucessful, dedicated professionals of all ages so they make for good conversation on long rides/runs.

Lots of physicians race, and some of the older ones are pretty good. I'm a pretty good cyclist and a female thoracic surgeon took me down on the bike in a race a couple months ago. I offered her an energy packet when I passed her on the run, and ended up with a physician friend to shadow!!! I also train with an ortho surgeon and a radiologist.

For very active people, a multi-vitamin is a decent saftey net. I eat a very balanced whole-grain, high fiber diet. No soda. Like anyone, though, I need to satisfy my sweet tooth. :laugh: Coffee is my biggest vice, with beer/wine a distant second. Maybe wine is first, considering how my head felt this morning after last night's post-race party at my coach's house...

I probably won't be quite so serious in med school, although I'll probably try out my first marathon (and second, because I'd HAVE to go to Boston). I know many people who do triathlons or run marathons during med school (even 3rd year, I watched a 3rd year do a half ironman yesterday) so you don't need to give up everything. Even better, we peak for endurance between age 30-35 so we all have years ahead of us. The long distance olympians are in their early thirties. Women peak after their first child because they build so many extra blood vessels due to the baby's hypoxic load.

I agree that obesity is mostly lifestyle. I have friends who have made the choice to have a healthy lifestyle. He started with 5ks and moved to triathlons, losing 80lbs. He has kept it off for 7 years and has zero respect for the "genetic" argument. The genetic component, for the most part, makes up for a difference of around 10-20lbs of fat. After that it seems that lifestyle plays a huge part. Still, permanent weight loss require a huge and frightening lifestyle change. It requires a massive amount of inertia to make these changes. For many, the task simply seems to daunting. One of my more talented athlete friend plan to retire from their pro careers into public health campaigns encouraging the set-up of programs that make fitness and weight loss an afordable part of community lifestyles.

i enjoy running sometimes, but isn't it supposed to be bad for your knees/ankles?

People tell me going to the gym and using the elliptical is much more effective and low-impact, but I never feel like I'm doing much of anything on those machines...

shantster said:
I am like that too! In high school, I would average eating about 6 times a day, which included about three full meals. I would eat breakfast, have lunch at 10:30 (stupid high school early lunch period), have a snack at school at 2, go home and have another snack at 3, eat dinner at 4:20, go to work (at a Culver's, which definately was not healthy) for 5 to 10:15 and have a second dinner plus eating when the place was empty, and some days I would come home from work and find a snack in my house. And I managed to stay thin without working out since I didn't have time due to working 30+ hours a week. Then I came to college and gained my freshman 15 in the first semester, and a year later, I've lost that all and a little more since I cut down on the random amounts of eating. I've been trying to work out more with cardio 3 to 4 times a week and pilates about 5 times a week, but I'm one of those people that if I miss a day or two, then I'm off my routine for a while :( .

Ahh, I forgot about those 10:30AM lunches...

funshine said:
i enjoy running sometimes, but isn't it supposed to be bad for your knees/ankles?

People tell me going to the gym and using the elliptical is much more effective and low-impact, but I never feel like I'm doing much of anything on those machines...

Running is bad when done improperly. Most people ramp up too fast, either running to hard when they run or increasing mileage too fast. Consulting a running magazine for a beginers plan is a good start. Good running form is fairly light on the feet and also prevents injuries.

Shoes should be fit properly and changed every 300 miles. Rotating between pairs increases their elastic recovery/lifespan.

Eliptical/pool running workouts can be incorporated to lower impact. Run on trails when possible to decrease impact and build stablizers muscles for knees, hips, and ankles. When running on pavement I have to decrease mileage by 30-50%.

scrappysurfer said:
Running is bad when done improperly. Most people ramp up too fast, either running to hard when they run or increasing mileage too fast. Consulting a running magazine for a beginers plan is a good start. Good running form is fairly light on the feet and also prevents injuries.

Shoes should be fit properly and changed every 300 miles. Rotating between pairs increases their elastic recovery/lifespan.

Eliptical/pool running workouts can be incorporated to lower impact. Run on trails when possible to decrease impact and build stablizers muscles for knees, hips, and ankles. When running on pavement I have to decrease mileage by 30-50%.

when you run, do you place your weight on the entire foot or just on the toes?

thanks for the info!

I grew up a swimmer, and I've kind of retired from that and am over the mutliple hours of cardio per week thing. I definitely prefer lifting weights, and I generally hit the gym 5 days per week.

Right now, I work a job that literally has me walking from 6 to 8 hours per day, so my "official" cardio consists only of about 25 minutes on a rowing machine, once per week. If I'm cutting, I'll up that to three times per week; maybe incorporate some incline treadmill walking. Do lots of hiking on my own. When I quit my job, I'll need to up cardio more, but for now, I'm getting enough, especially when you count working outdoors/running with my dog. Probably could start kayaking again on the lakes around here.

I've found I can easily control my weight with diet.

Lots of clean meats, green vegetables, omega 3s, low GI foods. I really don't splurge, either. I might have one or two beers every other week. No fast food outside of a grilled chicken sandwich in...it's got to be a year and a half. I hate chocolate; always gave me a heachache for some reason.

I've added about 35 pounds of lean muscle over the past year and a quarter and am up to 205,~10% bodyfat.

I do believe in supplementation, though. Our farming methods, cooking methods, and (primarily) food distribution mechanisms ensure that a large percentage of the nutrients that were originally in your food are gone by the time you eat them. A majority of that the produce we eat was picked at least several days before it made it to the grocery store, was picked when it wasn't ripe, and was raised in soil where only that species of plant was found. Not ideal.

funshine said:
when you run, do you place your weight on the entire foot or just on the toes?

thanks for the info!

This is a moderately controversial topic in running. Old school philosphies support heel-striking, but I have been trained to strike mid-foot. The heel striking argument has something to do with energy storage in your calves/achilles. When I changed to a midfoot strike I went from being a frequently injured runner to a much faster, never-injured runner.

Heel striking is essentially putting on the breaks. If you lean forward about 20degrees and run a little more on your toes, your quads hardly do anything. You simply run by falling and your hamstrings can be used to lift your foot off the ground (as opposed to the pushing required by heel striking). Midfoot runners look much "lighter" on their feet. You shouldn't bounce up and down when you run. Expend the energy moving forward, not up and down.

I won't bore you with further details. There is a book called "The Pose Method" that helps teach proper form. Its acutal training methods sound pretty much like bunk (seems to be all about drills), but I found some of the ideas about how to visualize running to be pretty useful. I definitely leaned out a little instead of just putting on bulky muscle (I put on muscle astonishingly easily).

Good luck. I hope you are able to enjoy running as much as I do.

i am overweight & very slowly losing weight. i know lots about nutrition and a moderate amount about exercise, but i have quite a bit of trouble motivating myself to eat right and exercise. i have gone through periods where i exercised six days a week for a year or more, but i never got to liking it. does anyone have any motivational tips? ("just discipline yourself" isn't really enough--if i knew how exactly, i would.)

beep said:
i am overweight & very slowly losing weight. i know lots about nutrition and a moderate amount about exercise, but i have quite a bit of trouble motivating myself to eat right and exercise. i have gone through periods where i exercised six days a week for a year or more, but i never got to liking it. does anyone have any motivational tips? ("just discipline yourself" isn't really enough--if i knew how exactly, i would.)

You've got to get through 4 weeks of continuous work at the gym. After 4 weeks, it'll be a habit, and you'll start to see the results. So, just think 4 weeks. Go to the gym at the peak hours. Look at those people in great shape. This is not so you feel bad about yourself. This is so you see what they're doing. Also, you've also got to remember that the short term pleasure you get from bad foods and not working out cannot match the eternal pleasure you get from looking healthy.

Case in point: I received my Harvard rejection letter. Thinks I: Good! I still look absolutely stunning. I suddenly felt much better. I think of moments like that when I want to indulge myself and I am suddenly able to abstain. Hope this helped.

beep said:

I think it'd help to find an activity that you really enjoy and do it w/ a group of people--take a dance class, go hiking with your outdoors club...

I agree that gym-exercise is boring and I have trouble motivating myself to do it, but many physical activities like skiing and hiking are fun and probably much more effective. I think the most important thing though, is to find someone or a group to do it with, so that way you're forced to commit :)
good luck!

Hey scrappysurfer that's awesome that you do all those races and everything. I agree, there's something about a long run that just can't be pinned down, but it's wonderful. It's so cool that you meet doctors that way, too. I've never been able to bike; my father had two bad bike accidents when I was a kid, and he was training for triathalons, and I've never been comfortable on a bicycle. My younger brother actually refused to learn to ride!

I agree that anybody concerned about their running form should try to find a more experienced runner, preferably somebody with coaching experience, to help. Most people don't actually need to change their form that much at all, it's just a few little things that could help keep you from injury. I was really amazed when I heard Dean Karnazes, the ultra-marathoner, say that he'd never been injured, ever! That's very rare. I've only ever had shinsplints, but then again I've never run 200 miles at once!!!!

beep said:

I agree with the prior posters -- with respect to exercise you really need to find an activity that you consider fun, or you simply won't stick to it over the long haul. There are two equally important forms of exercise: Cardio and weight training. A combination of the two along with a decent eating plan will rapidly get you into shape far faster than any one or two of these activities alone. With respect to weight training, you may want to work with a trainer for a few sessions (or more) until you have a decent resistance program you can follow. It's pricey, but it helps. With respect to cardio, I've found that an Ipod (or other MP3 player) filled up with good upbeat motivating songs is the true recipe for success. Just remember -- getting yourself into the gym each day is 90% of the battle.

I posted on this thread in November and I'm so proud to see how much I've improved my exercise/eating habits since then. I've lost about 7 pounds (122 to 115, i'm only 5'1") since I joined a gym at the end of January and I've never been in better shape!

I wake up at 5:30 everday and either run ~4 miles or do the elliptical for 40 minutes 5-6 days a week. The gym I belong to offers free classes so I do hatha yoga 3 times a week and this really fun dance aerobics class on Sunday (I feel like I'm in the 80s. its AWESOME). the whole routine is so calming to my mind. the yoga is especially good for self-awareness and really feeling ALIVE in this moment and all that buddhist stuff. Then once a week, I try to do a longer run (i'm increasing mileage slowly, but current am doing just over 6 miles) and that's half torture half endorphin ecstasy!

I also agree with whoever said that sleep is really important to all this. To wake up at 5:30 everyday, I MUST go to sleep by 10:30. but my dad (a neurologist) always told me that the best sleep is sleep before midnight (though he might have said this to get me to bed when i was a kid, i'm still not sure, will do further research...). I've always been a night owl and sleep til noon kind of girl, but I'm going to have to commute an hour to med school every morning next year to get to classes by 8, so I realized I really needed to practice getting up early. I realized that if I get my 8 hours, then I actually LOVE getting up at 5:30. It kind of feels like you have the world to yourself. There's something haunting and beautiful about ungodly hours of the night.

Diet is the hardest for me, though I've got it under control these days. During the week, the normal routine helps me to be super healthy (fiber cereal breakfast with fruit, pack my lunch with all the food groups-carrots, yogurt, fruit, turkey sandwich on whole grain, and fish or chicken dinner with veggies), but as soon as the weekend hits, the lack of structure makes it really difficult not to binge on those soy chips I bought to pack in my lunch. The best is if I can fill my day with errands and exercise, but if I'm sitting around the house, its all over. i think the reason i've been so successful this time around though is that when I have an unhealthy weekend, I don't beat myself up about, I just get right back on the horse on Monday and start again. I realize that I'm much better off than I was and over time I will learn how to be more reasonable on the weekends.

Developing good habits (whether its studying, exercise, diet or sleep) is one of the most difficult, but important tasks to achieve in life, I think. You have to take it one step at a time and try not to cover too much ground at once. With something like med school looming, I see how important it is to solidify these habits and routines before you put a huge strain on your whole system. because good habits always seem to be the first thing to go when i'm under high stress.

To those that are struggling to get motivated, JOIN WEIGHT WATCHERS! I did it for a few months in college and lost the 20 pounds that i had gained during freshman-junior years. Since then, I've definitely yo-yo'ed but weight watchers teaches you such great basic skills and gives you a wealth of knowledge about nutrition that will allow you to continue to improve your habits throughout your life.

I think the above posts are right on the money. During college, I used to get about 5 or 6 hours of sleep, I ate in the dorms, and rarely exercised, but I felt ‘normal.’ Once I graduated and moved out on my own, I altered my lifestyle.

I now go to sleep at a regular hour, and get almost exactly 8 hours of sleep per night. I swim at least 3 times per week and weight train to use muscles that are ignored during my daily routine. Now that I cook for myself, a majority of my diet is composed of fruits and vegetables (organic when possible), with a minimum of meat. Hydration is less of a problem now because I gain a lot of water from food alone. I am completely honest when I say I feel like a different person. That sense of ‘normal’ that I felt during college was actually a chronic state of fatigue. Most of my energy went into digesting foods that were too much for my body, and that paired with sleep deprivation meant I was in bad shape. How could I notice this? It was all that my body ever knew

Now, I have done a 180. I feel efficient, calm, relaxed, balanced, and sharp in a way that I never felt before. And the other posters are right - if you get all of the nutrients you need from your food, why do you need to take supplements?

I came across this book called "Drugs Masquerading as Foods." Read it, if only for the concepts, then draw you own conclusions. Ignore some of the somewhat discriminatory language in the book - don't let it distract you from the central message which is that we have no idea what we are really eating. It is in our best interests to take control of our diets, and in effect, control over our lives. This paired with sleep and exercise will change your life, even during the first weeks. Over time, it will bring longevity (unless you get hit by a truck or something).

Just my perspective. :idea:

beep said:

Beep,

First of all, congratulations. Loosing weight SLOWLY is how it should be done. It requires far more discipline than a crash diet.

Seriously, the most sucessful method I've seen is to sign up for a race. I know tons of couch potatoes who picked a 5k, then a 10k....You don't have to be a world class athlete. By setting (and paying good money for) a specific goal you have a deadline to work towards. Dropping $135 on my first half ironman had the most amazing effect on my willingness to get out of bed for a 6am swim workout.

Joining some sort of athletic group is good as well. Track clubs or triathlon clubs are pretty good because there are many people of different abilities to work out with. You get motivated by the faster athletes while training with other beginners who have similar goals. The social aspect is very helpful. I'm more likely to get out of bed when I have to meet someone or join a group workout.

funshine said:

I definately prefer using the elliptical machines because my ankles sometimes don't like the impact of running, plus my asthma does not enjoy running either. When I go home, I use the ones at the gym my parents go to and I get a good workout. Those ones have a setting so that you can have it change the incline throughout the workout, and then I will do half the time going forward and half going backward so that I work out the muscles. But, I know what you mean about them not working too well... the ones in my dorm suck and I can never get the same effectiveness out of it.

I make myself go to the gym six days a week where I do half hour of cardio, and a half hour of resistance training (I alternate arm and leg workouts). I try to eat between 1000-1200 calories per day, but once a week I allow myself to eat whatever I want for one meal so long as I've been keeping up with the gym workouts. Oh, and I also never eat after 7:30. I've lost close to eighty pounds on this routine (I used to be really fat) and I'd like to lose about forty more pounds.

It's been hard, but it is definitely doable. I hate how so many individuals are using gastic bypass as a means of losing the weight. It seems like most people don't even try to follow a healthy lifestyle, they figure that they'll just use the surgery to fix their problems.

neuropower said:
I posted on this thread in November and I'm so proud to see how much I've improved my exercise/eating habits since then. I've lost about 7 pounds (122 to 115, i'm only 5'1") since I joined a gym at the end of January and I've never been in better shape!

I wake up at 5:30 everday and either run ~4 miles or do the elliptical for 40 minutes 5-6 days a week. The gym I belong to offers free classes so I do hatha yoga 3 times a week and this really fun dance aerobics class on Sunday (I feel like I'm in the 80s. its AWESOME). the whole routine is so calming to my mind. the yoga is especially good for self-awareness and really feeling ALIVE in this moment and all that buddhist stuff. Then once a week, I try to do a longer run (i'm increasing mileage slowly, but current am doing just over 6 miles) and that's half torture half endorphin ecstasy!

I also agree with whoever said that sleep is really important to all this. To wake up at 5:30 everyday, I MUST go to sleep by 10:30. but my dad (a neurologist) always told me that the best sleep is sleep before midnight (though he might have said this to get me to bed when i was a kid, i'm still not sure, will do further research...). I've always been a night owl and sleep til noon kind of girl, but I'm going to have to commute an hour to med school every morning next year to get to classes by 8, so I realized I really needed to practice getting up early. I realized that if I get my 8 hours, then I actually LOVE getting up at 5:30. It kind of feels like you have the world to yourself. There's something haunting and beautiful about ungodly hours of the night.

Diet is the hardest for me, though I've got it under control these days. During the week, the normal routine helps me to be super healthy (fiber cereal breakfast with fruit, pack my lunch with all the food groups-carrots, yogurt, fruit, turkey sandwich on whole grain, and fish or chicken dinner with veggies), but as soon as the weekend hits, the lack of structure makes it really difficult not to binge on those soy chips I bought to pack in my lunch. The best is if I can fill my day with errands and exercise, but if I'm sitting around the house, its all over. i think the reason i've been so successful this time around though is that when I have an unhealthy weekend, I don't beat myself up about, I just get right back on the horse on Monday and start again. I realize that I'm much better off than I was and over time I will learn how to be more reasonable on the weekends.

Developing good habits (whether its studying, exercise, diet or sleep) is one of the most difficult, but important tasks to achieve in life, I think. You have to take it one step at a time and try not to cover too much ground at once. With something like med school looming, I see how important it is to solidify these habits and routines before you put a huge strain on your whole system. because good habits always seem to be the first thing to go when i'm under high stress.

To those that are struggling to get motivated, JOIN WEIGHT WATCHERS! I did it for a few months in college and lost the 20 pounds that i had gained during freshman-junior years. Since then, I've definitely yo-yo'ed but weight watchers teaches you such great basic skills and gives you a wealth of knowledge about nutrition that will allow you to continue to improve your habits throughout your life.

:thumbup: :thumbup: This is really great and I offer you my congratulations. My question though is how in the world do you find time for this? It seems nearly impossible if a person works full time or has a family to take care of etc.

I lift weights. I dont do enough cardio though. I'd be ripped if i did cardio, but right now I am a bit too fat... In good enought shape though to look like I might be ripped if I have a shirt on though.

I get a fair amount of cardiovascular exercise (about 3-4 miles a day, walking to and from classes), but I don't lift weights or anything -- unless you count my textbooks! ;) As for diet, not so great: I eat at the campus dining hall for convenience, and I try to stay away from things like pizza and nachos, but the stuff I do eat is probably not much better. However, this method seems to be working for me -- I've lost 25 pounds since coming to college. (Freshman -15? :D )

I'm hoping that next year, when I'll be living much closer to the gym, I'll be able to motivate myself to go at least twice a week. I guess the food issue will have to wait until I learn how to cook reasonably appetizing meals....

Does anybody know of any good running clubs in Boston? Looking to branch out and start running w/ some other people.....running solo can be nice, but can also get old!

Khenon said:
I drink alot of beer. Beer is food isn't it? :laugh:

Monks used to "fast" with just beer. Loaf of bread in a stein...

I work out when I can, run when I can. I eat like a hunter/gatherer, well more like a fisher/gatherer and I try to avoid all processed foods. Green tea is my caffeine of choice (it kills cancer, you know).

BUT. Yeah. I like beer now and again. Also - Phish Food, it is my nemesis.

Point is - you have to give in a little, otherwise any sensible diet/excercise plan won't work - unless you are an ascetic monk with a horse-hair wardrobe.

beep said:

Get a training partner. A good training partner will keep you motivated when you are not and vise versa. It is much more difficult to make excuses to another human than to rationalize ones own behavior.

Find a fitness magazine you enjoy reading with accurate articles. Simply picking up a magazine and reading an inspirational article or a new training method can push you over deltaG for going to the gym.

You're trying to change your entire lifestyle, not simply add activities or stay on a strict diet until you lose weight. Make changes gradually and tolerably until you really can't see living any other way.

Last edited:

Last edited:
MedicineBird said:
:thumbup: :thumbup: This is really great and I offer you my congratulations. My question though is how in the world do you find time for this? It seems nearly impossible if a person works full time or has a family to take care of etc.

You are completely right that what I'm doing right now isn't sustainable (unless you're like a natural olympian with infinite energy) if I had a lot more responsibilities (either to my career, school, or family). Right now, I'm working a low stress research assistant job full time 9-5 M-F, but the rest of the time I can pretty much do whatever I want. So during the week, I go to the gym before work (5:30-7:30am) and then I do a yoga class at night after dinner (8-9:30pm) three times a week. Then on the weekends I have time to do an aerobics class and a long distance run. This is my year off between college and med school, so its really the perfect time for me to focus on exercise and overall health. I realize that when med school starts and when I have kids down the road, I won't be able to go to the gym (sometimes twice a day) like I do now, but I do think I'll be able to fit in, at the very least, a 30 minute run everyday for the rest of my life. And waking up a half hour early before your morning shower isn't a huge time committment, but has huge benefits! Exercise and yoga actually helps me to be more efficient in getting all the other stuff done (like homework, house cleaning, etc) by giving you more energy and focus... Sometimes its a challenge to fit it in, but if you just write out a little hour-to-hour daily schedule for yourself, you'd be surprised where you can fit exercise in...plus, i rarely watch tv!

neuropower said:
You are completely right that what I'm doing right now isn't sustainable (unless you're like a natural olympian with infinite energy) if I had a lot more responsibilities (either to my career, school, or family). Right now, I'm working a low stress research assistant job full time 9-5 M-F, but the rest of the time I can pretty much do whatever I want. So during the week, I go to the gym before work (5:30-7:30am) and then I do a yoga class at night after dinner (8-9:30pm) three times a week. Then on the weekends I have time to do an aerobics class and a long distance run. This is my year off between college and med school, so its really the perfect time for me to focus on exercise and overall health. I realize that when med school starts and when I have kids down the road, I won't be able to go to the gym (sometimes twice a day) like I do now, but I do think I'll be able to fit in, at the very least, a 30 minute run everyday for the rest of my life. And waking up a half hour early before your morning shower isn't a huge time committment, but has huge benefits! Exercise and yoga actually helps me to be more efficient in getting all the other stuff done (like homework, house cleaning, etc) by giving you more energy and focus... Sometimes its a challenge to fit it in, but if you just write out a little hour-to-hour daily schedule for yourself, you'd be surprised where you can fit exercise in...plus, i rarely watch tv!

you are an inspiration!! I should never say never, but I'm going to anyway....I don't know if I could ever do a 5:30AM workout, even with a low-stress research job! good for you!!!

KAR said:
Hey,

I was just wondering what importance all of us future doctors place on our own health: essentially exercise and diet.

Personally, I'm a health freak. I lift weights, run, cycle, swim, do plyometrics, play a variety of sports. Diet-wise, I haven't eaten french fries in years, hardly drink soda, no potato chips, take my multi-vitamin every day, etc.

The reason I brought this up is because I remember a report on a medical convention (don't remember what) where the president of the group said that he and his fellow doctors needed to be examples to their patients by losing weight. Just thought I'd see what what other people were doing out there.

Oh, I try my best. I work out everyday if I can, since my wide array of orthopedic problems limit me from time to time. My diet is pretty bad because I LOVE food. I also love dinner parties and social gatherings, so I've been 10 pounds heavier than I want to be for years. For instance, yesterday I had an Easter dinner party and served a roast leg of lamb with salad, green beans, broccoli, a wild rice dish, cream biscuits, tortilla de patata, and chocolate mousse with strawberries.

Also I work with a bundle of amateur bakers, and they insist on dumping the products of their prolific ovens into the office kitchen. I am only able to resist such temptation part of the time! I don’t smoke, so that’s taken care of. I am fond of wine, beer and good tequila. Although, those aren’t bad vices in moderation, I believe.

I’m trying to drop that last 10 pounds before med school starts—finally! Anyone want to do this with me? How about the SDN weight loss challenge?

I'd be up for the weight loss challenge. I would like to lose 10-20lbs before med school as well.

What's the game plan? :)

roadrunnerrita said:
Oh, I try my best. I work out everyday if I can, since my wide array of orthopedic problems limit me from time to time. My diet is pretty bad because I LOVE food. I also love dinner parties and social gatherings, so I've been 10 pounds heavier than I want to be for years. For instance, yesterday I had an Easter dinner party and served a roast leg of lamb with salad, green beans, broccoli, a wild rice dish, cream biscuits, tortilla de patata, and chocolate mousse with strawberries.

Also I work with a bundle of amateur bakers, and they insist on dumping the products of their prolific ovens into the office kitchen. I am only able to resist such temptation part of the time! I don’t smoke, so that’s taken care of. I am fond of wine, beer and good tequila. Although, those aren’t bad vices in moderation, I believe.

I’m trying to drop that last 10 pounds before med school starts—finally! Anyone want to do this with me? How about the SDN weight loss challenge?

Jennifer25 said:
I'd be up for the weight loss challenge. I would like to lose 10-20lbs before med school as well.

What's the game plan? :)

i want to do it too :)

I was doing a search on the AMA ethics page and I came across the interesting tidbit:

"To preserve the quality of their performance, physicians have a responsibility to maintain their health and wellness, construed broadly as preventing or treating acute or chronic diseases, including mental illness, disabilities, and occupational stress. When health or wellness is compromised, so may the safety and effectiveness of the medical care provided."

and a bit later:

"The medical profession has an obligation to ensure that its members are able to provide safe and effective care. This obligation is discharged by:

- promoting health and wellness among physicians; - supporting peers in identifying physicians in need of help; - intervening promptly when the health or wellness of a colleague appears to have become compromised, including the offer of encouragement, coverage or referral to a physician health program; - establishing physician health programs that provide a supportive environment to maintain and restore health and wellness... (CEJA Rep. 5, I-03)"

Just thought this was interesting and kind of relevant to the thread, and yeah, I'm super bored at work today.

The whole site is pretty interesting.

This is from
http://www.ama-assn.org/apps/pf_new...=AMA/BnGnC&catg=AMA/DIR&&nth=1&&st_p=0&nth=9&

beep said:

i agree with the above poster who said to pick a goal-- training for a race is the best motivator, because there are more consequences if you slack. you don't want to get to the race and not be able to finish :). pick a small race to start with, though. i ran four half-marathons last year (waaay too much), and i got absolutely sick of running. that killed the motivation.
so with that in mind, i also suggest varying your workouts and finding something aerobic that is a lot of fun for you. i started playing volleyball a few months ago, and not only does it allow me to take out my aggression :smuggrin: , it doesn't even seem like a workout. it's also motivating to want to get better at it, since i sucked to begin with.
another suggestion is to start lifting weights. the motivator here is more visible results (at least for me). i felt stronger and looked stronger pretty quickly, which made me want to lift weights more. another benefit is that the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn doing anything else you do.

so there you go. i know i would have trouble if i were trying to work out on the elliptical machine day after day, so i try to do lots of different activities. having friends around helps-- go on a hike. being outdoors helps, too, if the weather's nice where you are.

i've always eaten healthy food (thanks Mom), and i love to cook, so controlling my diet has never been an issue.

i look back on my college days (from the ripe old age of 23) and wish i would have taken the opportunity to exercise and play sports more. now that i'm taking ochem at night and working full time, i really want to work out but it's hard to find the time.

anyway, the current routine is lifting weights about 3x/week, playing volleyball 2x/week, running or biking for other cardio. like i said in the above post, i ran a lot last year. i unfortunately gave myself an overuse injury (word to the wise: moderation), but i recently started running again and it's such a relief. when i can't run, i have all this pent up energy that has no way of escaping.