Your favorite proverb?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vasoolraja

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you have a favorite proverb or quote that motivates you and has helped you in succeeding so far? My favorite one is:

"Newer and better a thing is, greater is the opposition it will meet at its outset. "Does a river gain velocity unless there is resistance? "It is the opposition that foretells success."

Members don't see this ad.

I really like this one,

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment. --Buddha

Members don't see this ad :)
I really like this one,

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment. --Buddha

That is also one of my favorites.

I also like this one: It requires wisdom to understand wisdom: the music is nothing if the audience is deaf.

"**** bitches, get money."

"Tough times don't last, tough people do."
This one has gotten me through some tough stuff. :thumbup:

Do you have a favorite proverb or quote that motivates you and has helped you in succeeding so far?

Doesn't exactly get me through hard times but I always enjoyed:

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

I always found this verse to be particularly inspirational, although I cannot pin down exactly why:

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
JOHN 15:13 (KJV)

Members don't see this ad :)
"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau

"clout is no substitute for wisdom, and having a good job title is no substitute for doing a good job" - rachel maddow

Concerning academia:

"I think the big mistake in schools is trying to teach children anything, and by using fear as the basic motivation. Fear of getting failing grades, fear of not staying with your class, etc. Interest can produce learning on a scale compared to fear as a nuclear explosion to a firecracker." - Stanley Kubrick

To make people depressed:

"Everyone you know and love will die someday." - Me, I guess

"All human actions are equivalent and all are on principle doomed to failure." -
Jean-Paul Sartre

Finish each day and be done with it; you have done what you could.

" Money talks "

I carry this for my entire life and actually it's very true. Think about it guys. Who said you don't need money ? That's a liar.

"Pressure makes diamonds." --- Gen George Patton

This because it reminds me daily what the truly important things in life are (even though I think it qualifies more as a poem than proverb).

The Meaning of Success
By: Ralph Waldo Emerson

To laugh often and much;
to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
to appreciate beauty;
to find the best in others;
to leave the world a little better;
whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.

This is the meaning of success.

And this because it reminds me that the most accomplished people in the world had no more time than I do...

"Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Louie Pasteur, Michelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein."

- H. Jackson Brown

“Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals.”
Jim Rohn

My favorite proverb/quote is from the Kurt Vonnegut book God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, as the protagonist is planning a baptism speech:

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."

"Security is a form of paralysis" - Tom Robbins

"Because he believes in himself, he doesn't try to convince others. Because he is content with himself, he doesn't need other's approval. Because he accepts himself, the whole world accepts him" - Tao Te Ching

"Patience is the key, not only to artistic endeavor, but to life itself. Its an aspect of faith. You do what you can, practice your craft, try your best, and let God or fate of happenstance determine the rest. Ultimately, if your willing to wait for things the world is yours" - Alan Epstein

One I heard from my mother:
If the sun says "don't look at me," you turn around and look at his brother, the moon.

In the light of things that happened two years ago, this proverb has especial significance for me.

A common Nigerian proverb, and one I like:
I will not call a cow my brother just because I want to eat meat.

This because it reminds me daily what the truly important things in life are (even though I think it qualifies more as a poem than proverb).

The Meaning of Success
By: Ralph Waldo Emerson

To laugh often and much;
to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
to appreciate beauty;
to find the best in others;
to leave the world a little better;
whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.

This is the meaning of success.

And this because it reminds me that the most accomplished people in the world had no more time than I do...

"Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Louie Pasteur, Michelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein."

- H. Jackson Brown

Emerson rocks

On a more serious note, one of the ones that I like the helps keep me motivated is "... Time Is The Fire In Which We Burn."

It may sound a little morbid to some, but helps keep in prospective that we needn't waste time on frivolous things

A fool and his (or her) money are soon parted.

- H. Jackson Brown

I liked this sooo much that I made it my Facebook status for the day -- got a lot of "likes" lol!

crowded elevator smells different for a midget.

if you think education is expensive try ignorance.