Your hardest med school moment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brickhouse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I know I'm only a 2nd year almost 3rd year and I've been through enough really horrible finals weeks but I haven't been pimped yet so I'm sure it'll get worse, but I just had an oral pathology exam which they emphasized wasn't worth much of our grade and even if we failed it we still got a 69 and pretty much everyone blows it off - so I went in not worried that much about it - and the resident evaluating me told me that I was "obviously not as prepared as I should've been." I feel really sheepish. Somebody hold me. :(

Members don't see this ad.

If you look anything like Sam, I am not going to hold you.

DW3843 said:
If you look anything like Sam, I am not going to hold you.

I have more hair than Sam if that helps at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I think we had the same experience with our pathology oral exam, except mine was an attending and he was mean from the moment I walked in the room when the rest of my friends had layed-back residents who were like "tell me what is wrong with this liver"
oh well, I wouldn't worry about it
it will get worse and it will probably be when you actually thought you WERE prepared, for example you study your butt off for an OR case and then A) you are sent to a different room and don't even know who the patient is and the attending happens to pimp you on what the patient likes to do in his/her free time
B) you are working your butt off and studying but you never know the answer to any of your resident's questions and every day you look dumber and dumber in his/her eyes
that's the worst when you actually are on top of your game but still look stupid!

Brickhouse said:
I just had an oral pathology exam which they emphasized wasn't worth much of our grade

i first read this and thought "wow, they had a whole test on oral path?" but i figured maybe it made sense because it wasn't worth much grade-wise. then...i read this

DukeDoc08 said:
Wow, I think we had the same experience with our pathology oral exam, except mine was an attending and he was mean from the moment I walked in the room when the rest of my friends had layed-back residents who were like "tell me what is wrong with this liver"

and it all made sense. hmmm...maybe i've been dating a dentist for too long. ;)

Hawkeye Kid said:
i first read this and thought "wow, they had a whole test on oral path?" but i figured maybe it made sense because it wasn't worth much grade-wise. then...i read this

LMAO sorry - yeah pathology oral exam is probably more clear.....

I can't even post about my bad experience right....now I feel worse.... :(

Wow, you guys have oral pathology exams? And I thought the shelf exam was rough. Sorry it sucked for you both.

Still a first year, but same day tests in Neuroscience/Neuroanatomy and Gross of the Head and Neck (Along with the practical) really sucked.

Miami_med said:
Still a first year, but same day tests in Neuroscience/Neuroanatomy and Gross of the Head and Neck (Along with the practical) really sucked.

Ouch. But you made it through. ;)

My most difficult moments were all a function of some sort of drama in my personal life. I have not found med school to be intrinsically difficult, in either the complexity or the volume of material. It just requires focus, and sometimes that's been difficult when my personal life is going badly.

Samoa said:
My most difficult moments were all a function of some sort of drama in my personal life. I have not found med school to be intrinsically difficult, in either the complexity or the volume of material. It just requires focus, and sometimes that's been difficult when my personal life is going badly.

ooo....spill the juicy details!

Brickhouse said:
so I know I'm only a 2nd year almost 3rd year and I've been through enough really horrible finals weeks but I haven't been pimped yet so I'm sure it'll get worse, but I just had an oral pathology exam which they emphasized wasn't worth much of our grade and even if we failed it we still got a 69 and pretty much everyone blows it off - so I went in not worried that much about it - and the resident evaluating me told me that I was "obviously not as prepared as I should've been." I feel really sheepish. Somebody hold me. :(

The first gross anatomy exam.

Not because it was difficult or because I did poorly, but because of the sense of dread I had before the exam.

Tagged clitoris on gross anatomy final. I was going to puke (for the first time since the whole thing got started) and was contemplating just throwing up and moving on to the next station. If I didn't finish the test, I would have had to take it that summer.

Hawkeye Kid said:

haha I missed the same point until i kept reading....oral exams suck

neoncandle said:
Tagged clitoris on gross anatomy final. I was going to puke (for the first time since the whole thing got started) and was contemplating just throwing up and moving on to the next station. If I didn't finish the test, I would have had to take it that summer.
and then would the next person have to identify your vomit?

my consistently worst/most difficult moments are those in which i have to pretend i'm alert and interested when i'm in a situation that i couldn't find more boring or intolerable.

-when it's 5pm on friday and the psych attending who isn't around all week decides he wants to do 2hrs of teaching rounds right then.

-when it's the last week of my 3rd year and my gen med outpatient clinic attending wants to have a one-on-one teaching session about hypertension meds.

-when i'm shadowing, yes <i>shadowing</I> in general geriatrics clinic with a fellow who has been trying painfully to elicit information through two language-accent-barriers about a 75year old woman's falls and then as i'm about to nod off, says "here, we'll let YOU do the mini-mental status exam!"

- when i'm post call medicine with a new attending and he wants to sit and go through our patient list of 15 or so, one by one, and discuss his opinion on the patient's previous management with the prior attending (the week before) on each of them *before* we get to get our work done on our current patients.

*those* are the hardest med school moments for me.

neoncandle said:

Ummm.....why?

Did it talk to you?