What do you think of nursing students complaining that nursing is the hardest degree to go obtain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of nursing students are hot...

So, I just nod and agree
This is how I got engaged to one.

Getting her to stop complaining about nursing school came after that lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
ITT: “if there is any degree work (undergraduate or graduate) that is more difficult than nursing, then nursing is the easiest thing ever!”

Butthurt physicians and premeds love to crap on nursing education because they know someone who had it easy... But if you think getting accepted to UF nursing is easy, you’ve got another thing coming.

I was accepted to only 2 nursing schools. I was accepted to 5 Med schools.

I have a BSME and math minor from a very good school and currently work as an engineer at a fortune 500 company. I am the direct descendant of two doctors, I had hobies that lined up with engineering but haven't really found work that lined up with the hobbies, and am now creeping around with the thought of medicine. I always had more trouble in my classes that involved more memorization so I'm somewhat doubting my ability. I found fluids II and thermo II much easier than machine design which involved learning a ton of big easy to work equations every week. I did AP calculus in highschool. I have friends from school who grew up in a small town and literally started in college Algebra. The rigors of even college Algebra was way above what I was held to in high school. If you started at Algebra it would definitely build you up to where you can become an engineer.

Um, great? I actually have a math degree and have taken nursing classes. You either went to a college where your “advanced” math courses were watered down, or you didn’t go beyond sophomore level classes if you think nursing classes are harder. Even just linear algebra is more difficult than nursing courses, and that’s a fairly easy course.

Members don't see this ad :)
ITT: “if there is any degree work (undergraduate or graduate) that is more difficult than nursing, then nursing is the easiest thing ever!”

Butthurt physicians and premeds love to crap on nursing education because they know someone who had it easy... But if you think getting accepted to UF nursing is easy, you’ve got another thing coming.

You’re conflating saying that certain degrees are more difficult than nursing with saying that nursing is easy while ignoring the various posts where people said despite being less academically rigorous than some, it is still difficult for various reasons.

But I guess if you didn’t, you wouldn’t be able to white knight with a snarky post.

Reactions: 2 users
I was accepted to only 2 nursing schools. I was accepted to 5 Med schools

Cool story bro, and how many did you apply to again?

Getting into a BSN program is not hard. Yes there are some that are harder to get into than others, but literally no one is saying that. My wife’s program had averages of a 3.93 in pre-reqs and a 31 ACT, so yes I know there are very difficult programs, but just getting the BSN comes down to how much money you are willing to spend.

Reactions: 3 users
Cool story bro, and how many did you apply to again?

Getting into a BSN program is not hard. Yes there are some that are harder to get into than others, but literally no one is saying that. My wife’s program had averages of a 3.93 in pre-reqs and a 31 ACT, so yes I know there are very difficult programs, but just getting the BSN comes down to how much money you are willing to spend.

And getting into Caribbean school comes down to how much money you are willing to spend.

*Caribbean MD school, forgot to add.

So many variables i'm sure you are overlooking as to why you received more acceptances to medical schools rather than nursing programs.
Also, i'm tired of people equating difficulty of being accepted into a program with difficulty in obtaining that degree. You might be able to argue that gaining acceptance to the lowest tier Caribbean medical school is easier than gaining acceptance to a nursing program in the US (still probably not true). However, I sure hope you're not going to argue that completing/earning a medical degree from the Caribbean is easier than completing an BSN. Tons of programs are "easy" to get into, but difficult to complete.

Reactions: 1 user
So many variables i'm sure you are overlooking as to why you received more acceptances to medical schools rather than nursing programs.
Also, i'm tired of people equating difficulty of being accepted into a program with difficulty in obtaining that degree. You might be able to argue that gaining acceptance to the lowest tier Caribbean medical school is easier than gaining acceptance to a nursing program in the US (still probably not true). However, I sure hope you're not going to argue that completing/earning a medical degree from the Caribbean is easier than completing an BSN. Tons of programs are "easy" to get into, but difficult to complete.

Please read the topic in its entirety.

Psai said that “anyone with a pulse” can get into RN school.

This stems from anecdata. Yes, we all know less-academically inclined folks who got into nursing school. There are more variables than that, as you astutely observed.

Making blanket statements based on personal experiences (Anatomygrey has a wife who is a nurse, therefore he feels like he is an expert in nursing/APRN scope of practice etc) devalues other professionals.

I get it that this is a board for physicians, but the amount of disgusting verbal defecation directed towards nursing here is sad, and I will continue to dispel such idiocy when I see it.

Any medical student or physician who needs to compare themselves to nurses is so severely insecure that it quickly turns pathological.

I had a dear friend last week tell me of how her insecurity as a D.O. cost someone VERY dearly, and I was completely shaken.

We are all on the same team. Stop putting others down to make your own insecurity be assuaged, as that only makes you look weaker.

Best. Thread. All. Year.

Equating medical school acceptance to BSN acceptance. Keep it comin'!

cinema.gif

Edit: @RNthenDoc you are beating a dead horse and fighting a losing battle. Those of us who have worked in a hospital setting know how invaluable the nursing staff really is. It doesn't stop with the nurses though, as medicine has become more and more collaborative than some on here would care to admit. Ultimately yes, the physicians make all the calls and the majority of the responsibility falls on them. I, much like you, feel that such responsibility does not equate to us being better than anyone else. However, some do and will always feel like that MD/DO makes them better than virtually anyone and everyone. Those same people are the docs that field idiotic phone calls/pages for 12 hours a day and are whispered about anytime they step on the floor.

I'm all about fighting the good fight and speaking up when I know others are wrong, but some people are just a waste of your time as anything and everything you say will slip in one ear and out the other. Karma is a brutal b!tch, that's all.

To be fair though, you said it yourself that making blanket statements based on personal experiences devalue other professions. Very hypocritical of you, don't you think...?

Last edited:
Alright, well back to the thread. @RNthenDoc Are you telling me that after you complete medical school/residency you wouldn't be bothered if a nurse claimed his/her degree is a strenuous and difficult as your own? That's ridiculous. Now I most likely wouldn't make a post about it, I probably wouldn't even make a comment to the nurse about it. However, let's be honest and say that it might make you cringe a little inside?

Last edited:
Um, great? I actually have a math degree and have taken nursing classes. You either went to a college where your “advanced” math courses were watered down, or you didn’t go beyond sophomore level classes if you think nursing classes are harder. Even just linear algebra is more difficult than nursing courses, and that’s a fairly easy course.
At my school the engineering 6 year completion rate was like 55% with like a 2.8 GPA. The school was known for having a big mouth and a small butt hole but it was cheap and you could always fall back on accounting, teaching, or something else. I spent a lot of hours chained to a desk in the library and outside of engineers nurses were by far in there the most so I definitely have some respect for them. I have never been great at memorizing lots of information so I'm sure I would be in there with them If I went into nursing. Engineering sophmore year and med school pre reqs were a cut above everything else there just like at most schools. They want to make sure your cut out for engineering and prepare you for internships or medicine but they don't want to flunk you out or screw up your gpa your last year of school. They still held you to a high standard your junior and senior year but it was nothing like sophomore year.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you think of medical students complaining of nursing students complaining that nursing is the hardest degree to go obtain?

Reactions: 4 users

He’s right.
Making blanket statements based on personal experiences (Anatomygrey has a wife who is a nurse, therefore he feels like he is an expert in nursing/APRN scope of practice etc) devalues other professionals.

Dude wut? Did you even read my post? You made a stupid ass comment and I called you on it. I agree the premise of this thread is stupid, I’m not arguing that.

And where the hell did I “devalue other professionals” or even make any sort of a comment that could even be interpreted to involve “nursing/APRN scope of practice”? Please cite directly where that happened. Because it didn’t. I do, however, know exactly what it takes to get into nursing programs.

Any medical student or physician who needs to compare themselves to nurses is so severely insecure that it quickly turns pathological

Yes this thread is dumb, and I’ve already commented that above. However you rode in here in a white horse spouting random ish so yeah I commented on that too.

I had a dear friend last week tell me of how her insecurity as a D.O. cost someone VERY dearly, and I was completely shaken.

Your argument is so sporadic I don’t even get what you’re getting at. What does this have to do with anything at all that’s involved in this thread?

Fact, anyone with a pulse can get a nursing degree. Get over it. Also fact, medical students who care if nursing students think their pathway is harder are dumb.

This is true. But who cares if your program isn't competitive to get into?

This is true. But who cares if your program isn't competitive to get into?
If it's easy to get into fewer people are likely to get through it. Most schools challenge you the most your sophomore year so they don't have to flunk you out in your junior or senior year. Just like the Caribbean med schools. They are easy to get into but there are not a lot of people that make it through them compared to other med schools simply because a lot of the people didn't indicate the same ability to perform well in most med schools.

If it's easy to get into fewer people are likely to get through it. Most schools challenge you the most your sophomore year so they don't have to flunk you out in your junior or senior year. Just like the Caribbean med schools. They are easy to get into but there are not a lot of people that make it through them compared to other med schools simply because a lot of the people didn't indicate the same ability to perform well in most med schools.

I was referring to the people who passed and are trying to convince others that their field had such competitive admissions when it clearly did not.

I was referring to the people who passed and are trying to convince others that their field had such competitive admissions when it clearly did not.
I mean, if you live in California and your trying to get into a big public school so you don't rack up a ton of debt it is very difficult to get into. Getting into UCLA is a pretty big accomplishment in itself. There are a lot of pharmacy schools that are easier to get into than California public schools. I would venture to guess that finding jobs in southern California is crazy competitive so you would actually want to go to a better school if you lived there. I would think it is the number one destination for young transplant nurses fresh out of school. I would also think these better schools would give you a leg up if your trying to become a nurse practitioner which gives a huge jump in salary.

Last edited:
At my school the engineering 6 year completion rate was like 55% with like a 2.8 GPA. The school was known for having a big mouth and a small butt hole but it was cheap and you could always fall back on accounting, teaching, or something else. I spent a lot of hours chained to a desk in the library and outside of engineers nurses were by far in there the most so I definitely have some respect for them. I have never been great at memorizing lots of information so I'm sure I would be in there with them If I went into nursing. Engineering sophmore year and med school pre reqs were a cut above everything else there just like at most schools. They want to make sure your cut out for engineering and prepare you for internships or medicine but they don't want to flunk you out or screw up your gpa your last year of school. They still held you to a high standard your junior and senior year but it was nothing like sophomore year.

What is the point of this post?

What is the point of this post?
It's my opinion on the difficulty of nursing verses a degree that requires a calculus sequence and beyond. What it doesn't show is that the nursing school may have had a 85% acceptance rate and a 85% NCLEX pass rate so it doesn't really show the entire picture. In terms of pay and job security nursing is very similar to a lot of the companies hiring Engineering technologists to work as technicians in their labs. Most technicians have much better job security than the engineers but they don't have the potential to become an exec and earn a bit less money even in your standard non management roles.

Alright, well back to the thread. @RNthenDoc Are you telling me that after you complete medical school/residency you wouldn't be bothered if a nurse claimed his/her degree is a strenuous and difficult as your own? That's ridiculous. Now I most likely wouldn't make a post about it, I probably wouldn't even make a comment to the nurse about it. However, let's be honest and say that it might make you cringe a little inside?

Why though? Why do you care if a nurse wants to make themselves feel better?

It's my opinion on the difficulty of nursing verses a degree that requires a calculus sequence and beyond. What it doesn't show is that the nursing school may have had a 85% acceptance rate and a 85% NCLEX pass rate so it doesn't really show the entire picture. In terms of pay and job security nursing is very similar to a lot of the companies hiring Engineering technologists to work as technicians in their labs. Most technicians have much better job security than the engineers but they don't have the potential to become an exec and earn a bit less money even in your standard non management roles.

Your argument makes no sense.

Your argument makes no sense.
I would put nurses on par with a low gpa engineer or someone in stem that didn't complete a full calculus sequence. Most of these people won't use advanced math for a career but are still employable. Nursing doesn't give you the opportunity to flex like engineering does because all of the people in medicine flexing are in a completely different path. Doctors earn way more than engineers because of opportunity cost. I would say the top 40-50% of in state engineers would get into the cheap state med school. These are the admission statistics for the big public school I live in.
Total admissions data 3490 applied, 1003 interviewed, 471 were accepted, 294 enrolled
In-state admissions data 694 applied, 572 interviewed, 308 were accepted, 252 enrolled
Out-state admissions data 2796 applied, 431 interviewed, 163 were accepted, 42 enrolled

Status
Not open for further replies.