Your ideal approach to learning radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thesunlighthurtsmyeyes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you do differently/how would you approach learning radiology if you had to start over again as an R1 and had to do your entire residency again.

What books would you use? (e.g. Fundamentals of pediatric iamging by Donnelly, Osborne, Radcases,...)
What books that you have read would you avoid?
What worked for you and would you do again?
What other resources would you definitely try?
Would you spend more time rereading cases that you tried yourself and were then read out by senior residents...?

In short, could you describe your ideal approach to learning radiology during residency?

I think it would be great to get a few different opinions here as a future reference for residents that are only just starting out (like myself)

Members don't see this ad.

my ideal learning approach -- insert ethernet cord into brain. download all information.

my ideal learning approach -- insert ethernet cord into brain. download all information.

I wish.

My approach is being patient. Reading every day and trying to take in as much as possible. At my program we have weekly B&H reviews. So I read for that and also my current rotations. More importantly, I try to stick to one resource to avoid spreading myself too thin. I try to take 1-2 days off from reading to avoid burnout. I am treating knowledge like radation. It is a cumulative effect. Radiology is 4 years long for a reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I could back to being an R1 I would read B&H more regularly in addition to dedicated texts for each rotation. Once you are taking evening and overnight call it's a lot more complicated to learn.