-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Your IDEAL job.
Started by businessguy
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Shredder said:its not really a conspiracy, modern academia is overtly a left wing brainwashing factory. personal experience is subject to sampling bias, common sense isnt
...i hate to break it to you but conservative ideals aren't common sense, ignoring the obvious biases in society is not common sense, rejecting society's role in maintaining an structure that keeps the rich rich and the poor poor is not common sense, blaming people for their situation without examining the details is not common sense, rejecting any academic work that doesn't fit your myopic view of the universe is not common sense...
If what you see in the world is common sense then I'll gladly be an idiot
i understand, but academia is still a left wing haven and indoctrination land. its a little irritating when everyone blames others and society for everything, either good or bad. personal responsibility/credit has gotten lost somewhere along the linePraetorian said:Excuse me Shredder, but I don't think as many people are "brainwashed" as you might think. They just aren't as fundamentalist and hard core as yourself (but then again few are)
absolving people of personal accountability is not a successful social policy or trend, and i think that is clear regardless of convoluted arguments in its favor as well as citation of educational accolades and specific experiencesgolftrippy said:...i hate to break it to you but conservative ideals aren't common sense, ignoring the obvious biases in society is not common sense, rejecting society's role in maintaining an structure that keeps the rich rich and the poor poor is not common sense, blaming people for their situation without examining the details is not common sense, rejecting any academic work that doesn't fit your myopic view of the universe is not common sense...
If what you see in the world is common sense then I'll gladly be an idiot
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There's a good reason why academia is left-wing - because most people who are educated can THINK.
It's quite scary to imagine having doctors who cannot relate to the poor and understand their situation...
It's quite scary to imagine having doctors who cannot relate to the poor and understand their situation...
its leftist bc no right winger in his right mind would choose to stay cooped up in schools for the rest of his life, sheltered from real world pressures and problems, and actually having to go out and work or produce things other than papers funded by money that isnt theirsshinenjk said:There's a good reason why academia is left-wing - because most people who are educated can THINK.
i dont want to digress on that, too much straying
i understand, but academia is still a left wing haven and indoctrination land. its a little irritating when everyone blames others and society for everything, either good or bad. personal responsibility/credit has gotten lost somewhere along the line
Agreed, but then again right wingers spread the blame around just as much. They just push it off on moderates and left-wingers.
Let me get this straight...shinenjk said:There's a good reason why academia is left-wing - because most people who are educated can THINK.
Left=educated
Right=uneducated
Pretty "uneducated" statement if I may say so myself.
👎
Wow, no generalizations here.
Glad I'm all caught up now. continue...
Of course, ShinenJK also thinks that some of us don't relate to and understand the poor.jbone said:Let me get this straight...
Left=educated
Right=uneducated
![]()
![]()
Pretty "uneducated" statement if I may say so myself.
👎
Wow, no generalizations here.![]()
Glad I'm all caught up now. continue...
It's quite scary to imagine having doctors who cannot relate to the poor and understand their situation...
Apparently there is some misunderstanding of the difference between refusing to feel sorry (sympathize) and the ability to feel (empathize) for your patients.
That's funny because I grew up poor. So what? Oh yea...Boo hoo. Poor me. 👎 Is that better?Praetorian said:Of course, ShinenJK also thinks that some of us don't relate to and understand the poor.
I grew up poor too (as I said above).
Yea, but YOU DON'T COUNT. You have no idea what it's like to be poor.Praetorian said:I grew up poor too (as I said above).
🙄 
I want to go into cardiothoracic surgery. Work 3 weeks per month and make hella cash while spending time with my family. (shadowed a doc like this for 3 months. Great job!) Drive a gas-guzzling Hummer and roll over the people driving the hybrids!
Don't care where I live, just as long as I don't have to speak spanish to survive and where the lawyer population is low. 
private practice neurosurgery, mostly spine work...do this for 6 months, then work 6 months pro-bono doing less routine stuff...
Yes, yes....of course....my poor upbringing doesn't count for the following reasons:jbone said:Yea, but YOU DON'T COUNT. You have no idea what it's like to be poor.🙄
![]()
1. I'm a white male with blond hair and blue eyes (to quote my friend Tyshon: "BEHOLD! The honkey devil!"
2. I'm (quoting a PM I got tonight) "money-grubbing, power-hungry egomaniacal sociopath"
Thanks.....you know me so well that you pinned me down (yeah, right) 🙄
3. I don't want to do primary care
4. I want to be well paid for my work as a physician
5. I don't pity anyone who is responsible for their own status in life
etc, etc, etc ad nauseum
EXACTLY!!Praetorian said:Yes, yes....of course....my poor upbringing doesn't count for the following reasons:
1. I'm a white male with blond hair and blue eyes (to quote my friend Tyshon: "BEHOLD! The honkey devil!")
2. I'm (quoting a PM I got tonight) "money-grubbing, power-hungry egomaniacal sociopath"
Thanks.....you know me so well that you pinned me down (yeah, right) 🙄
3. I don't want to do primary care
4. I want to be well paid for my work as a physician
5. I don't pity anyone who is responsible for their own status in life
etc, etc, etc ad nauseum

I'm with ya. 😉
Ahh, what the hell. Lets just socialize the whole system. 🙄

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh, that's a good idea.
While we are at it, in the course of offending people....have you ever wondered how imaginative people can get in coming up with slurs, well here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs WARNING: DO NOT CLICK ON THAT LINK IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.
While we are at it, in the course of offending people....have you ever wondered how imaginative people can get in coming up with slurs, well here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs WARNING: DO NOT CLICK ON THAT LINK IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.
a numbers section?Praetorian said:Oh, that's a good idea.
While we are at it, in the course of offending people....have you ever wondered how imaginative people can get in coming up with slurs, well here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs WARNING: DO NOT CLICK ON THAT LINK IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.
moderates are ok, at least theyre open to reason and display it as well. the right wing doesnt usually slight the moderates--how can we, we need your votes and support! haha in fact moderates have it good bc come campaign time theyre the ones who get appeasedjbone said:Drive a gas-guzzling Hummer and roll over the people driving the hybrids!Don't care where I live, just as long as I don't have to speak spanish to survive and where the lawyer population is low.
![]()
i drive a hybrid! (civic...the most normal looking one). i like the efficiency notion...plus i cant get tickets bc its just not possible to speed or drive recklessly 😳 . my friends make fun of me, they call me the hippie/tree hugger with the gop elephant bumper sticker.this has turned so loungish. unusual having this type of talk in preallo.
...ahhhh so refreshing....golftrippy said:...i hate to break it to you but conservative ideals aren't common sense, ignoring the obvious biases in society is not common sense, rejecting society's role in maintaining an structure that keeps the rich rich and the poor poor is not common sense, blaming people for their situation without examining the details is not common sense, rejecting any academic work that doesn't fit your myopic view of the universe is not common sense...
If what you see in the world is common sense then I'll gladly be an idiot
Shredder said:a numbers section?moderates are ok, at least theyre open to reason and display it as well. the right wing doesnt usually slight the moderates--how can we, we need your votes and support! haha in fact moderates have it good bc come campaign time theyre the ones who get appeased
i drive a hybrid! (civic...the most normal looking one). i like the efficiency notion...plus i cant get tickets bc its just not possible to speed or drive recklessly 😳 . my friends make fun of me, they call me the hippie/tree hugger with the gop elephant bumper sticker.
this has turned so loungish. unusual having this type of talk in preallo.
gonna derail this thread even more...
i dunno if you keep track regularly, but how's the mpg you're getting with the civic hybrid? i think they advertise it at ~50, but i was just wondering if that's only if you drive like a granny and never really hit the gas.
yeah that 50 is like if you drive in a vacuum tunnel or somethin; i get five or ten less depending on the weather (AC uses a lot of power), and if there are several ppl in the car im forced to drive like a granny bc the car really has to work then havn2004 said:gonna derail this thread even more...
i dunno if you keep track regularly, but how's the mpg you're getting with the civic hybrid? i think they advertise it at ~50, but i was just wondering if that's only if you drive like a granny and never really hit the gas.
my friends make fun of me, they call me the hippie/tree hugger with the gop elephant bumper sticker.
But now for the real question: How did you fit your gun rack and spit cup in such a tiny car? 😉
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 777