Your imput is much appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

worldhealthcare

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I wanted to get some suggestion, I am a US senior student did not match to IM and plan to reapply. I will be graduating in May. After graduation I want to do something preferrably more clinical that will help strengthen my application, i.e show I can be a hardworking resident. I thought about volunteering at free clinic, working with a doctor in a hospital or clinic. Has anyone had an experience with this and can advise?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'd get more responses if you corrected the spelling of the word, input.

Well, look now, I even provided you with the answer (right spelling).

Maybe you should do something to try to extend med school for a yearar, such as taking an extra research year or do a 1 year MPH or MBA or something...at the same time you could set up volunteer work. I think it will be easier for you in the Match next year if you still have student status. I think you'll do better if you have youour school behind you, versus twisting in the wind trying to reapply for residency on your own.

I, on the other hand, think the nominal benefit of being a "US Senior" (when it will be clear in ERAS that you failed to secure a position in the last Match cycle) does not outweigh the disadvantage of paying another $40,000 in tuition. Especially for IM.

Does your med school have a student-run free clinic? I would secure a research gig with someone in IM-- someone prolific, no matter their field or subspeciality, so you'll have something on your CV by November-- and see if you can direct, or at least volunteer heavily, at your school's clinic. If your school is in a large city, there are usually a good number of nonprofit clinics around (New York has dozens) where med students are accustomed to volunteering-- see if they'll take you on a quasi-regular basis.

If you are a US citizen who graduated from a US med school and weren't able to scramble into an IM spot, there probably is some type of red flag- work on fixing that- feel free to share it here if you want our input.