Your input is appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tara200

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am applying for path residency this year and I want to stay in NYC. I don't know much about their programs. I appreciate if you share your personal experiences or any kind of info you might have about them. btw my long term goal is Dermpath.
Here is the list of programs I'm considering; but of course all suggestions are welcome. (feel free to privately massage me if you like to).

- Albert Einstein College of Medicine Program
- New York University School of Medicine Program
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine Program
- SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn Program
- New York Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia Campus) Program
- New York Presbyterian Hospital (Cornell Campus) Program
- St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center Program
- Lenox Hill Hospital Program
- University at Buffalo Program
- Albany Medical Center Program

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I plan on applying to many of these same programs if I decide to do path and would also appreciate any info/advice.

Hi everyone,

I am applying for path residency this year and I want to stay in NYC. I don't know much about their programs. I appreciate if you share your personal experiences or any kind of info you might have about them. btw my long term goal is Dermpath.
Here is the list of programs I'm considering; but of course all suggestions are welcome. (feel free to privately massage me if you like to).

- Albert Einstein College of Medicine Program
- New York University School of Medicine Program
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine Program
- SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn Program
- New York Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia Campus) Program
- New York Presbyterian Hospital (Cornell Campus) Program
- St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center Program
- Lenox Hill Hospital Program
- University at Buffalo Program
- Albany Medical Center Program

Thanks!

Gee, you've applied to every program in New York State except Winthrop, Syracuse, Stonybrook, North Shore-LIJ, and Rochester. Why leave them out?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am only sort of familiar with Einstien, NYU, Sinai, Columbia and Cornell.

If you want to do dermpath, I would rank highest the ones that have the fellowship. You have a fair shot of getting that fellowship and access to research projects and the connections of the faculty should they not give it to you.

I think Columbia and Cornell probably have the best reputation in terms of faculty. NYU has an awesome location as you can live in the East Village and walk to work, but I heard unfavorable things about that program in the past (but things could be different now). Cornell has the subsidized housing thing going for it.

Man NYC has a lot of programs. It has more than the state of California but 1/5th the population (NYC=~8million, Ca=~38million). It is top heavy if you ask me.

I am only sort of familiar with Einstien, NYU, Sinai, Columbia and Cornell.

If you want to do dermpath, I would rank highest the ones that have the fellowship. You have a fair shot of getting that fellowship and access to research projects and the connections of the faculty should they not give it to you.

I think Columbia and Cornell probably have the best reputation in terms of faculty. NYU has an awesome location as you can live in the East Village and walk to work, but I heard unfavorable things about that program in the past (but things could be different now). Cornell has the subsidized housing thing going for it.

Man NYC has a lot of programs. It has more than the state of California but 1/5th the population (NYC=~8million, Ca=~38million). It is top heavy if you ask me.

I remember reading one of LADoc's posts from sometime back..he said NYC and SoCal prob have the worst job markets in path due ot the numerous training programs.

Boston is even worse. I can think of five programs, there are probably others, and the city has what, 3 million at most?

Boston is even worse. I can think of five programs, there are probably others, and the city has what, 3 million at most?

Boston has only 450k people but its metro has 4.5 million. I am sure it has more than 5 programs.

NYC has 8million with a metro of about 18million.

Definitely top heavy cities when you compare them to the Bay Area which only has two programs with a population of about 8million. In fact all of northern california only has 3 programs with a population of 12-13 million. Sourthern California has a population of 25 million and probably only has 6-7 programs.

But back to the topic. To the OP, you will definitely match in NYC. If you want dermpath, weigh them like this for ranking A) Programs you feel favorably about after the interview B) Programs with dermpath fellowships C) programs with a lot of fellowships D) Ones located such that allow you can live in the NYC neighborhood of your choice.

NYC has to be the worst. The OP listed 10 programs but aren't there even more than that? I have never been able to tell any of the NYC programs apart. I know Columbia is different because that is where Stout was. Cornell has a lot of good pathologists. Mt Sinai has a huge volume. Other than that who the heck knows.

If you want dermpath go to a program with a dermpath fellowship. You are going to have a hard time getting dermpath if you don't because I would wager than up to 25% of NYC residents want to do dermpath. And I'm sure they all love skin.

If you're interest is in dermpath, and you'll be in NYC, then the place to look for residency is any of the programs that is popular with Ackerman Academy and Dermpath Dx, as they have the highest # of spots.

NYU has two spots, one for path trained and one for derm trained..very competitive, and the path trained spot is not guaranteed for internal candidates.
Mount Sinai has one spot (I think), and it can be combined with the MSSM AP program (ie, they favor internal candidates)
Cornell/Sloan Kettering have two spots, which rotate through both programs. Also can be competitive, and also open for path and derm trained (usually one of each)
Columbia doesn't have a dermpath fellowship

My best advice is to go to the BEST program you can get into NYC, and do dermpath rotations, go to ASDP (the annual dermpath mtg), get dermpath references, do dermpath projects..the whole nine yards. Even then, unfortunately, nothing is guaranteed especially if you're geographically restricted.

Last edited:
If you're interest is in dermpath, and you'll be in NYC, then the place to look for residency is any of the programs that is popular with Ackerman Academy and Dermpath Dx, as they have the highest # of spots.

NYU has two spots, one for path trained and one for derm trained..very competitive, and the path trained spot is not guaranteed for internal candidates.
Mount Sinai has one spot (I think), and it can be combined with the MSSM AP program (ie, they favor internal candidates)
Cornell/Sloan Kettering have two spots, which rotate through both programs. Also can be competitive, and also open for path and derm trained (usually one of each)

My best advice is to go to the BEST program you can get into NYC, and do dermpath rotations, go to ASDP (the annual dermpath mtg), get dermpath references, do dermpath projects..the whole nine yards. Even then, unfortunately, nothing is guaranteed especially if you're geographically restricted.
i am suprised to see that rec on this board. after all, derm path diagnostics and ackerman are branches of ameripath which is a subsidiary of (gasp!) Quest.

Gasp! In the end a dermpath fellowship is a dermpath fellowship. If you're not interested in academics and want to practice dermpath it just matters that you're board certified. Given the competitiveness of the field, the toughest part is getting a spot. If you're "cream of the crop" and a highly competitive candidate then go to the best program. If you're not, then apply widely, and take any position. Given that reasoning, it's easier to get a spot in Ackerman/Dermpathdx just because they have a greater # of openings than the other programs. It's a #'s thing.

i am suprised to see that rec on this board. after all, derm path diagnostics and ackerman are branches of ameripath which is a subsidiary of (gasp!) Quest.

Being at an academic center wouldn't seem as important for skin as it would for other surgpath subspecialties.

Besides the name Ackerman probably generates a lot of tough in-patient consult cases for rare entities. No one would send a gi biopsy to quest for a consult. At least no one with 1/3 of a brain.

Being at an academic center wouldn't seem as important for skin as it would for other surgpath subspecialties.

Besides the name Ackerman probably generates a lot of tough in-patient consult cases for rare entities. No one would send a gi biopsy to quest for a consult. At least no one with 1/3 of a brain.

Why not? Dr. Fenoglio is in charge of the GI department there.

Why not? Dr. Fenoglio is in charge of the GI department there.

Well i am sure you can learn a lot of her.

I am just not a fan of Ameripath. And I seriously doubt they have any interest in academics or education. They care about $$$$$$, and if they are paying big money to someone like Fenoglio, it is only because they think it will help their business.

If you want a job getting paid ten bucks a case to read out slides, doing outpatient biopsy path and Quest/Ameripath is the way to go.

I had an ameripath hospital based pathologist group just tell me that they just got the business of about a 20 doc GI group to do all their biopsies (and that has got to be a lot of biopsies) a few months ago. You know how much their salaries have gone up? Nada. She said they are pissed and ready to revolt. That is what it is like to work for Ameripath. It sucks. I feel horrible for young pathologists who are in groups who get sold to them. It is only nice for the old guys getting ready to retire. For everyone else it is a ****-sandwich.

good info. do you mind if I quote you on the wiki? I will link to this thread as a reference of course.

My best advice is to go to the BEST program you can get into NYC, and do dermpath rotations, go to ASDP (the annual dermpath mtg), get dermpath references, do dermpath projects..the whole nine yards. .

Can you rank the NYC programs so the O.P. can know what is the best program it can get into?

*sigh* and it comes back to rankings.
My opinion...remember, only one person's opinion and not meant to be the holy grail of rankings. Even if you get into a great program, sometimes you won't get a dermpath fellowship straight out of residency...so be prepared to do a surg path fellowship as well.

Upper tier: Cornell, Columbia
Upper mid tier: NYU, Sinai, Einstein
Mid tier and below: all the rest

And zao..you can reference this thread if you'd like

Last edited:
Even if you get into a great program, sometimes you won't get a dermpath fellowship straight out of residency...so be prepared to do a surg path fellowship as well.

Good advice. If you really love dermpath, then be willing to keep applying until you get a spot. That was the mindset that I had, and I was blessed enough to get a spot on my first try. But if you accept (but not fear) the difficulties of pursuing derm up front, then I think it might help to prepare you for later on in case things don't work out on the first go around.

And zao..you can reference this thread if you'd like

Thanks! I really appreciate your contribution. :)