Your Least Favorite Drug Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrWrong

Give me knowledge.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm bored now that I'm done studying for my exam. I did a simple search function and didn't find anything on this subject. So my question is, what is your least favorite drug class and why?

As I've said in another thread, the Antiarrhythmic, thus far, are definitely my least favorite. None of the indications seem to correspond with their pharmacological actions....it's just a disaster.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm bored now that I'm done studying for my exam. I did a simple search function and didn't find anything on this subject. So my question is, what is your least favorite drug class and why?

As I've said in another thread, the Antiarrhythmic, thus far, are definitely my least favorite. None of the indications seem to correspond with their pharmacological actions....it's just a disaster.
Haha. Antiarrhythmics were definitely bad while learning them. I also thought the biologics were kinda tough.

yeah, antiarrhythmics are the worst. Actually cardiology therapeutics in general are just insanely complicated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man I hate psych meds. Holy ****. Every drug works on like 14 receptors that affect 45 things down stream and the side effect profile is ridiculous. Plus you have to worry about this is the psych disorder causing your new symptom, is it the medication that he is on, or is it some other cause.

man i hate psych.

antiarrhythmics are a easy peasy.

Man I hate psych meds. Holy ****. Every drug works on like 14 receptors that affect 45 things down stream and the side effect profile is ridiculous. Plus you have to worry about this is the psych disorder causing your new symptom, is it the medication that he is on, or is it some other cause.

man i hate psych.

antiarrhythmics are a easy peasy.

Ah yes, pysch drugs are right up there w/ AA's

Chemotherapeutics

Had 5 hours total of lecture introducing every single chemotherapeutic agent (all 100 + of them) presenting MOA, dosing, indication, contraindication, adverse effects, management, etc. That of course wasn't covering the actual pharmacotherapy of the various cancers, which took another two weeks.

I really dislike oncology.

Basically drugs from any of the subjects that require a PGY-2. Trying to cram that kind of knowledge into some lectures just results in poor levels of comprehension.

The subjects I felt rushed through were:
(1) ID -- drug mechanisms were easy, but too many different bugs & exceptions)
(2) Psych -- they don't even know the exactly mechanism on most of them.
(3) Oncology -- too many different SE, too many regimens based on survival but without knowing why.

meh chemotherapy is easy if you practice in it. Realistically drug selection usually is decided by an MD anyways. Pharmacists role in oncology is different because they take care of everything else wrong with the patient.

They would all be okay if we didn't have to learn med chem. I don't know if it's just me but after 3 semesters of med chem I still don't know what the point is. Maybe I just have a horrible professor.
They should offer med chem only to those wanting to do research...I don't see how it'll help me at all.

They would all be okay if we didn't have to learn med chem. I don't know if it's just me but after 3 semesters of med chem I still don't know what the point is. Maybe I just have a horrible professor.
They should offer med chem only to those wanting to do research...I don't see how it'll help me at all.

medchem is useful in understanding why some drugs cause certain problems. E.g why does amiodarone throws off the thyroid function. why linezolid has MAOI activity, or why some drugs are lipid soluble and others only distribute in extracelluar water. Sure, to many pharmacists, these might be just interesting trivia info. But further helps to make sense of things, and is very important if you do research or fellowships later.

medchem is useful in understanding why some drugs cause certain problems. E.g why does amiodarone throws off the thyroid function. why linezolid has MAOI activity, or why some drugs are lipid soluble and others only distribute in extracelluar water. Sure, to many pharmacists, these might be just interesting trivia info. But further helps to make sense of things, and is very important if you do research or fellowships later.

That's the problem. My professor doesn't explain it in a way that helps me make sense of things..or in any interesting way