Your least favorite interview question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My issue with the movies is that the acting is just comical at so many points. I adored the books, and the movies were incredibly disappointing to me. Now I'm at the point where I watch the marathons on TV and view them as comedy. When Harry screams "He was their friend!!" in Prisoner of Azkaban, I lose it every time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I grew up reading the books. I've read all of them several times so I was (am?) a Harry Potter nerd. I picked up on the little stuff and it bugged me lol but that's the issue with movies, you can't include everything.
I've always been into drama (plays, musicals, etc.) but it's been kind of a goal of mine to one day make a true 'true-to-the-book' version of something. No lines pulled/reassigned. No scenes cut. No interest in generating revenue.

I've also wanted to do a plainclothes Shakespeare play where all the actors speak with American accents and say the lines as they would've been spoken today so the audience could understand the inflections and never get lost... but alas

Reactions: 2 users
My issue with the movies is that the acting is just comical at so many points. I adored the books, and the movies were incredibly disappointing to me. Now I'm at the point where I watch the marathons on TV and view them as comedy. When Harry screams "He was their friend!!" in Prisoner of Azkaban, I lose it every time.
Oof almost read that all the way through. Spoiler tags, my friend.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've always been into drama (plays, musicals, etc.) but it's been kind of a goal of mine to one day make a true 'true-to-the-book' version of something. No lines pulled/reassigned. No scenes cut. No interest in generating revenue.

I've also wanted to do a plainclothes Shakespeare play where all the actors speak with American accents and say the lines as they would've been spoken today so the audience could understand the inflections and never get lost... but alas
Semi related, I thought No Country For Old Men did a fantastic job of representing Cormac McCarthy's book of the same name

Semi related, I thought No Country For Old Men did a fantastic job of representing Cormac McCarthy's book of the same name
Haven't read or seen, but I plan on it

Going completely off topic, do you guys have any other books you'd recommend? I have a lot of time to kill before August.

Going completely off topic, do you guys have any other books you'd recommend? I have a lot of time to kill before August.
A brief history of time by Hawking is great, just started it a few days ago

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. One of my favorites by far and medically relevant.

Reactions: 4 users
"Why should we choose you over everyone else here."

and try not to be a pretentious jerk
* don't say my good looks... don't say my good looks...* ...Uhh, my good looks?

Reactions: 4 users
I'll play. I never use this, but sometimes my colleagues do, and it's "If you were accepted into our state MD school, would you choose them over us?"

I hate this because it sets up the interviewee to lie. Most interviewees would gladly go to our MD school, and for good reason; it's opens more doors. The school has an actual hospital, their students don't have to rotate all over the state, and there are really decent research opportunities. BUT the interviewer wants to hear "Oh, I'll come here". It's a worthless question.

Some of the standard questions mentioned above at least ask you to display some degree of introspection, a quality highly desired in medical students and doctors. I don't ask them because they'fre so standard that all we hear are canned answers.

Some questions allow us peer right into your soul, and we don't like what we see.
What would one of those questions be? Can you not as easily fake that answer?

Back in early November, I was asked, "So what are your thoughts on the GS Warriors' defense and rebounding since they lost their 2 main centers?"

I hated it coz I could talk about that for hours but had to restrain myself. Plus at the that time, the W's defense was pretty terrible and it was very difficult to defend the credibility of Zaza Pachulia...
I miss good ol Zaza

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm enjoying the irony of a thread that began with the claim that no one reads books anymore turning almost entirely into a discussion about books.

Reactions: 15 users
I'm enjoying the irony of a thread that began with the claim that no one reads books anymore turning almost entirely into a discussion about books.
I wouldn't call that ironic as it's exactly what I'd expect. People do still read books. A lot. It'd be like someone saying "gravity is a force of repulsion" and everyone saying "no, it's not, but on the topic of gravity...". They were just plain wrong. Nothing ironic about it.

Edit: Also I know the definition of "ironic" because I read books before watching movies.

Last edited:
Lol it's been 13 years since the movie came out, and just saying "he" isn't really a spoiler unless you already know the plot. o_O
Oh, I just don't want to know specifics about failures of the movies. I'd rather be impartial going in.

Holy crap, I didn't realize that No Country For Old Men is a book! I have to read it - I loved the movie.

Reactions: 1 users
mainly fiction, harry potter, LOTR type stuff
Have you tried John Dies at the End? It's one of my favorites. Adventure, philosophy, horror, and comedy all rolled into one.

The movie is god awful though. You should watch it after reading the book to see exactly what's wrong with Hollywood.

ASOIAF is always a good choice
Ain't nobody got time for that! It may be one of the only books that I'll have to do books-on-tape for... That is if I can ever manage to remove Hamilton from my car's cd player.

Team of Rivals
The Art of Learning
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Extreme ownership
Fiction: ready player one, blood Meridian, Gates of fire.
I can go on lol

Have you tried John Dies at the End? It's one of my favorites. Adventure, philosophy, horror, and comedy all rolled into one.

The movie is god awful though. You should watch it after reading the book to see exactly what's wrong with Hollywood.
I'll check it out!

Yeah genius is a pretty awesome website. I love that LMM endorses annotations and also writes his own. That dude is my hero.

My special skill is that I can sing/rap all of Satisfied. Man, I love that song. The whole musical is just genius, ahhhh. I really want to finally master Lafayette's part in Guns and Ships, though.

My special skill is that I can sing/rap all of Satisfied. Man, I love that song. The whole musical is just genius, ahhhh. I really want to finally master Lafayette's part in Guns and Ships, though.
I can do all of "My Shot." It feels so good when the words just fly out of your mouth. My goal is to play Hamilton in a few years when the tours wrap up and local theaters can start doing productions.

I can do all of "My Shot." It feels so good when the words just fly out of your mouth. My goal is to play Hamilton in a few years when the tours wrap up and local theaters can start doing productions.

That's awesome! I'd really love to play either Angelica or Eliza in a local production someday - that would be so amazing.

That's awesome! I'd really love to play either Angelica or Eliza in a local production someday - that would be so amazing.
Those are both extremely challenging vocal roles, Angelica especially. I chose Hamilton because I'm a low tenor and all the other male roles (Lafayette/Jefferson excluded) are more traditional tenors.

Those are both extremely challenging vocal roles, Angelica especially. I chose Hamilton because I'm a low tenor and all the other male roles (Lafayette/Jefferson excluded) are more traditional tenors.

You're completely right. I'm in awe of both original actresses every time I hear them sing, especially with Burn and Satisfied.

Back to OPs point, I forgot to say that I completely agree with everyone who has said "tell me about yourself." I hate that statement - it's so vague and I never know what to say!

Just got this one today:

"Tell me about one of the biggest mistakes you've made in your life."

I mean how in the world can I answer this in a way that makes me look like a good person.
that's my least favorite question too, the mistake one. Any mistake I choose makes me sound dumb or careless.

Thank you guys I'll check these out!

mainly fiction, harry potter, LOTR type stuff
If you want a bit of science fiction, you should try Fire Upon the Deep. It's one of my favorite books. Ender's Game is a classic. There's also iRobot and the Foundation Series (my name is one of the characters). If you want comedy, there's Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy or Old Man's War. The Dark Tower series (more fantasy) is also killer.

Last edited:
I just finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time and it was amazing

Don't know if anyone has suggested it yet, but I HIGHLY recommend "When Breath Becomes Air" by Paul Kalanithi. It's incredible and every medical student should be required to read it.

I'm definitely going to Barnes and Noble when I get off work. Thank you guys!

"Why shouldn't we accept you"

Guess I answered this perfectly since I ended up rejected :whistle:

Reactions: 12 users
Signed up for kindle unlimited on amazon. Literally now read 5 books a day. I need a life, I know haha
I read a study a while back that said that retention of information is better with physical books than with e-books. It's basically the only reason I haven't made the switch

Let us know how you do!
will do!

Signed up for kindle unlimited on amazon. Literally now read 5 books a day. I need a life, I know haha
I've been thinking about this but for some reason I really enjoy reading more when I have the actual book. It would be nice to save some money though

I read a study a while back that said that retention of information is better with physical books than with e-books. It's basically the only reason I haven't made the switch
Beating up a paperback was always half the fun. I love looking at the torn and wrinkled book after I finished reading. It makes it much more real, like the contents of the book have physically affected the real world.

I've been thinking about this but for some reason because of the smell I really enjoy reading more when I have the actual book. It would be nice to save some money though
FTFY

Related but off topic...just starting reading art of the deal by trump. Don't really have any thoughts on it except it's a quick read that you could probably do in 2-3 hours! I recommend skipping the boring first chapter

"Teach me something" will forever be my lease favorite

If I was wearing a bow tie, do you think most interviewers would let me show them how to tie it? Like take it off and help them tie it on themselves? haha

Or maybe show them how to dance, and then dance with them. That would be great

If I was wearing a bow tie, do you think most interviewers would let me show them how to tie it? Like take it off and help them tie it on themselves? haha

I have heard of interviewers who say, "tell me how to ___, using only words, no hand gestures".

I have heard of interviewers who say, "tell me how to ___, using only words, no hand gestures".
I'd be so screwed. I talk with my hands, body, and facial expressions.

Well there goes my plan of doing my interview solely in interpretive dance. :(

Reactions: 8 users

I think the bow tie would be pretty awesome, if I was the interviewer I'd be interested..

Then again, I doubt you would wear a now tie to an interview

Man, I missed some good book talk. I LOVE the HP books. I don't mind the movies, particularly the last 3-4. The acting does get dodgy in some parts, but that's what happens when you have child actors.

If you like JK, check out her murder mystery series. She writes them under the name Robert Galbraith. The first two are great. I could take or leave the third.