Your Medical School Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

El Curandero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm applying to medical schools in June and I'm at the point now where I should start thinking about where to apply to. I thought a good place to start would be to hear about your experiences with your medical school, especially MUSC but I'm really interested in any and all medical school experiences. I'm not looking at for any specific, just a general overview. Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I'm applying to medical schools in June and I'm at the point now where I should start thinking about where to apply to. I thought a good place to start would be to hear about your experiences with your medical school, especially the Edward Via College of Medicine in Spartanburg, SC. I'm not looking at for any specific, just a general overview. Even if you had a bad experience chime in and tell me about it and why. Thank you for your time!

Last edited:
US MD > DO > Carib MD > every other job on earth.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are a number of members who are unwilling to reveal what medical school they attend because they want to remain anonymous, so you probably won't get too many school-specific responses. Also, the opinions and personal experiences of medical students will vary wildly even if they are attending the same institution, so they may not be the best metric to use when initially picking schools.

It might be more helpful to browse a comprehensive source of admissions data first to see where you would be a competitive applicant and then go from there. I suggest getting an online subscription to the AAMC’s MSAR and then composing an initial list of interesting schools with three subcategories: reach schools (shortest list and not necessary), schools where you would be a strong applicant, and schools where your application would be the strongest. Applicant strength would take into account the GPA/MCAT score of matriculants, ratio of in-state to out-of-state students, prerequisites, location, special programs, etc. You can then make your final list by determining what factors are most important to you (location, curriculum, tuition, etc.) and conducting additional research (school website, talking to school reps and students, asking questions in the school specific pre-med threads on SDN, a rousing game of darts, etc.). Some universities also have pre-med advisers for their undergraduate students who may be helpful.

Good luck with your application :happy:

It sucks. And none of us have seen the benefits (chicks, money, power, and chicks) yet. So it really sucks. I would imagine it would suck even worse in South Carolina, but that's just me.

Reactions: 4 users
It sucks. And none of us have seen the benefits (chicks, money, power, and chicks) yet. So it really sucks. I would imagine it would suck even worse in South Carolina, but that's just me.

Going to medical school has somehow made me get negative money, negative power and negative chicks

Reactions: 5 users
My experience has been extraordinary and beyond amazing. I would be surprised to find anyone who would argue against this statement. There are numerous opportunities to learn and interact directly with patients. The entire staff has been extremely helpful and professional that I would rank them among them top 100 in the nation.

My experience has been extraordinary and beyond amazing. I would be surprised to find anyone who would argue against this statement. There are numerous opportunities to learn and interact directly with patients. The entire staff has been extremely helpful and professional that I would rank them among them top 100 in the nation.

Reactions: 5 users

He's right, I can not argue about his experience.

My professors are definitely the top 25,000 in the nation, fact.

Experience so far, there's not enough time to learn everything about a subject that I want to learn. There is enough time for the school to add silly cool sounding cow dung to the schedule to take up my precious study time though. Some people are great, others are the worst ****heads from your premed classes that probably interviewed at the end of the day when the interviewers were tired and their douche alert was compromised. Some professors are inspiring, others shouldn't leave their labs. Being taught medical ethics is essentially being taught someone's opinion in the room, usually the guy with the white coat on. Med school is more similar to high school than college. Clicks abound, extra curriculars are infinite and there is always another email rolling in with a prod to go do something, with all that free time you have.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It's been frustrating and tiring as ****....but I wouldn't trade the experiences I've had for the world.