Research Experience Needed in Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

flatbush_jedi

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an incoming M1 at a California MD program. Before med school, I earned a PhD in biomedical engineering where I focused on aging and rejuvenation of the whole body at a top U.S. institution followed by a couple postdoc years. I have a total of 13 basic research publications from these endeavors (8 first-authored and 5 co-authored).

Considering my research background, I have a few questions regarding this about research while in medical school:

  1. Will this amount of research experience help me stand out for a competitive surgical residency (ie neurosurgery, CT surgery, plastics, etc)? I have enough presentations and talks to total up to 30 research items including the publications listed above. I definitely plan on continuing to do more quality research while in medical school.
  2. Can I do clinical research for a specialty (as listed in #1) that I am interested in or does it have to be basic science?
  3. If I have an idea of what competitive surgical specialty I would like to do research in, is a gap year in medical school necessary with my research background? Note: I intend to balance research with coursework during the academic years.
  4. Will I be on a similar boat to those who are completing MSTP programs or will residency programs view me differently, as I have a PhD before earning my MD?
Thank you for your thoughts.
 
I'm an incoming M1 at a California MD program. Before med school, I earned a PhD in biomedical engineering where I focused on aging and rejuvenation of the whole body at a top U.S. institution followed by a couple postdoc years. I have a total of 13 basic research publications from these endeavors (8 first-authored and 5 co-authored).

Considering my research background, I have a few questions regarding this about research while in medical school:

  1. Will this amount of research experience help me stand out for a competitive surgical residency (ie neurosurgery, CT surgery, plastics, etc)? I have enough presentations and talks to total up to 30 research items including the publications listed above. I definitely plan on continuing to do more quality research while in medical school.
  2. Can I do clinical research for a specialty (as listed in #1) that I am interested in or does it have to be basic science?
  3. If I have an idea of what competitive surgical specialty I would like to do research in, is a gap year in medical school necessary with my research background? Note: I intend to balance research with coursework during the academic years.
  4. Will I be on a similar boat to those who are completing MSTP programs or will residency programs view me differently, as I have a PhD before earning my MD?
Thank you for your thoughts.
1. Yes
2. Either
3. No
4. Similar