Your Opinion Counts Thanks!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CacheRX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone,
I'm a pre-pharmacy student and I just have a random question. First of all I want to say that I LIKE pharmacy very much and I worked in one for almost 3 years as a tech. Anyways, I came across this field that I never imagine existed which is Nurse Anesthetist. I have been doing some research on it and so far it looks very interesting. A nurse anesthetist, or certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA), is a licensed professional nurse who provides the same anesthesia services as an anesthesiologist (MD). After completing extensive education and training, CRNAs become nationally certified and may then practice in all 50 states. This profession only takes approximately 4-5 years to complete Vs. Pharmacy 6-7 years. According to my research in 2008 their salary was approximately $168,500 Vs. Pharmacist approximately $106,410. What do guys think about been a nurse anesthetist?? (For the record I'm not saying I'm going to be a nurse anesthetist, I'm just curious to see if anyone knows more than what I have researched plus the Pros and Cons).Thank You!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, everyone,
I'm a pre-pharmacy student and I just have a random question. First of all I want to say that I LIKE pharmacy very much and I worked in one for almost 3 years as a tech. Anyways, I came across this field that I never imagine existed which is Nurse Anesthetist. I have been doing some research on it and so far it looks very interesting. A nurse anesthetist, or certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA), is a licensed professional nurse who provides the same anesthesia services as an anesthesiologist (MD). After completing extensive education and training, CRNAs become nationally certified and may then practice in all 50 states. This profession only takes approximately 4-5 years to complete Vs. Pharmacy 6-7 years. According to my research in 2008 their salary was approximately $168,500 Vs. Pharmacist approximately $106,410. What do guys think about been a nurse anesthetist?? (For the record I'm not saying I'm going to be a nurse anesthetist, I'm just curious to see if anyone knows more than what I have researched plus the Pros and Cons).Thank You!!

From what I know, it takes more than 4-5 years. You first have to get a B.S. in Nursing which alone takes 4-5 years then have 2 years experience in a ICU and then you can start the program which for the one that my sister is starting is 2 full years. So right there is 8-9 years. Plus you can't work when you are in the program. But once you are done I think you start at like $75 an hour.

I don't know much about the career but my sister is 24 years old and has been a nurse for 2 years and she couldn't see her self doing that for the rest of her life plus she is smart enough to be a nurse anesthetist so she decided on that. The program is very competetive and the one she is in accepts 15-20 students a year.

I don't know if that helps any but that's kind of all I know about it.

Wow!! The process seems very long and competitive. I wonder how u can get accepted into one of those programs like past GPA in other words what do they look at etc... Thanks so much Pharm2014.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think besides looking at how you did in nursing school and the pre-reqs for the program, they look at where you work and they require the GRE. I am not completely sure on the application process and what all they require for that because my sister has her own house and never talked about it with me because it would stress her out.

I would recommend looking into liability insurance for this profession. Cost of premiums is exceedingly complex and state specific, but premiums can range from 10-20k per year depending on what state you practice in.

Organizations love to claim they provide insurance. The only thing they love more is hanging nurses out to dry. Get your own coverage.

The reason for this is simple. At some point in your career, you will put someone under and they won't come out. It won't necessarily be because of anything that was done outright incorrectly. It happens. If you feel you can live with that, then it's a challenging and rewarding profession.

I would recommend looking into liability insurance for this profession. Cost of premiums is exceedingly complex and state specific, but premiums can range from 10-20k per year depending on what state you practice in.

Organizations love to claim they provide insurance. The only thing they love more is hanging nurses out to dry. Get your own coverage.

The reason for this is simple. At some point in your career, you will put someone under and they won't come out. It won't necessarily be because of anything that was done outright incorrectly. It happens. If you feel you can live with that, then it's a challenging and rewarding profession.

I thought nurse anethetists didn't really have to worry to much about liability because they work under the anesthesiologist and they were the ones that really had to worry about liability.

Thanks guys this is great info. By the way, I think Pharm2014 is correct. Based on what I have discover so far nurse anesthetist do not have to worry about liability insurance, but I think that could depend on who you work for and the state you are practicing. It seems like different states have different laws ect...

Relaying on someone else's policy and hoping that you aren't just simply thrown under the bus by the organization or MD is reckless. You will have spent years and thousands of dollars on that degree. Protect it.

My mother is a CRNA, so I can give you a little info from what I know.

In order to become a CRNA you have to have a BS in Nursing and work as an RN for a certain amount of time before you can be even considered for Anethesia Program. I think it is about 3 years for work experience. The program is very competitive, but they do make a lot of money. My mother used to have her own business where she his contracted to certain hospitals, but I am not sure who she is employed with now (she has a new company/hospital that she works for.) Her hours are ok and of course she is on call alot. She loves her career and I do not blame her! It is a great route to go towards, but just know that you need to be an RN beforehand. I hear that becoming an Anethesiologist Assistant is similiar to a regular professional program (medical, pharmacy, dental) where you go to school for about 7-8 years straight and make a little bit more. Do not quote me on that one. Just do your research. Good luck!

Here in California, you need to get a BSN and work at least 1 year in the ICU/NICU/OR/etc before applying for the CRNA program. The programs are very competitive and it seems your GPA should be above 3.5 to be in a good position. That's what I got from researching off two of the local CRNA school's here (USC and CSU Fullerton).

In total:
4 years for your BSN
1 year of work
2 years NA school

Total of 7 years if you don't have any set backs.

I've heard of a job offer in my home state where wal-mart was offering for a pharmacist position more than what the Nurse Anesthetist would get paid.

Think about the possible amount of stress, malpractice insurance, and a huge load of responsibilities that goes into it.

I think it is about 3 years for work experience.

Here in California, you need to get a BSN and work at least 1 year in the ICU/NICU/OR/etc before applying for the CRNA program.
Now-a-days 1 yr doesn't cut it. You need as TM said at least 3+ years. I remember looking at stats of applicants to CRNA programs and the people being in their late 30s early 40s. You can't apply right out of the gate from that 1 yr experience. I also heard interviews are BRUTAL for CRNA programs, they truly expect you to know a lot about well, a lot.

I think CRNA's have to worry about liabilty just as much as any doctor would. Just because they're not "the anesthesiologist" doesn't mean they aren't the one performing the procedures or calling the shots. I believe in some states and rural areas CRNA's have full scope of practice too where they basically do everything an anesthesiologist would do, so if anything goes wrong you know they'll have some lawyers knocking on their door.... I can't imagine CRNA's not having to worry about liability insurance seeing as ANY medical professional must.

Great information everyone I appreciate the help. By the way, the pharmacist manager that I used to work for used to make around 150,000/year I don't know how but I didn't get into detail about how much they get paid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now-a-days 1 yr doesn't cut it. You need as TM said at least 3+ years. I remember looking at stats of applicants to CRNA programs and the people being in their late 30s early 40s. You can't apply right out of the gate from that 1 yr experience. I also heard interviews are BRUTAL for CRNA programs, they truly expect you to know a lot about well, a lot.

I think CRNA's have to worry about liabilty just as much as any doctor would. Just because they're not "the anesthesiologist" doesn't mean they aren't the one performing the procedures or calling the shots. I believe in some states and rural areas CRNA's have full scope of practice too where they basically do everything an anesthesiologist would do, so if anything goes wrong you know they'll have some lawyers knocking on their door.... I can't imagine CRNA's not having to worry about liability insurance seeing as ANY medical professional must.

Like every other program out there, different schools require different things. The CRNA program my sister got into required 2 years of ICU or ER experience and at the time of interview she had exactly 2 years and she will be 25 when she starts. The lady that was the toughest at the interview was the one that called her 3 days later to tell her she was accepted. Also, I know for sure she doesn't have to worry about liability as much as the doctor does here in Michigan where she will be working. She most likely have to a little but not nearly as much as the doctor.

everyone that i know that looks and nurse anesthetist is usually looking at it for the money. everyone! everyone says, wow, look how much money they make, but I believe it's a doctorate degree and most people think it's comparable to a nurse, but its not. don't look into it if you are only in it for the money, because it is more rigorous and complex than most people think.

The anatomy and physiology classes at my school are full of nursing hopefulls and they ALL say they are going to be a nurse anesthetist...and this is even before they get into the nursing program which is competitve. I just laugh inside but it seriously seems like everyone says they are going into that program but none of them really knows what it takes and how competitive it is. All they want is the money. My sister is accepted into the program where she went for her BSN, I know she is excited about the money but she is also excited about a totally different job than being a regular nurse. I also know she has what it takes to get through the program.

The anatomy and physiology classes at my school are full of nursing hopefulls and they ALL say they are going to be a nurse anesthetist...and this is even before they get into the nursing program which is competitve. I just laugh inside but it seriously seems like everyone says they are going into that program but none of them really knows what it takes and how competitive it is. All they want is the money. My sister is accepted into the program where she went for her BSN, I know she is excited about the money but she is also excited about a totally different job than being a regular nurse. I also know she has what it takes to get through the program.
You're telling me.
All my science classes are filled with "nursing" hopefuls and I use this term loosely. They're all willing to just "slide" by (w/ C's and be happy with their minimal effort) and not even focus on the material at hand but have such high aspirations to one day be inducing us during operation or be primary care nurse practitioners.... if any of the kids at my school (especially those in my classes) were my nurses let alone nurse anesthetist I'd be VERY afraid for my life....:scared:

A lot of pre-med students tend to be the same way. So many people in college think that they want to be a doctor and go to medical school, but there are actually very few who are mature enough to handle all of the responsibilities and do well enough academically to go to medical school.

I've seen friends and classmates give up on pre-med after Organic I.

A lot of pre-med students tend to be the same way. So many people in college think that they want to be a doctor and go to medical school, but there are actually very few who are mature enough to handle all of the responsibilities and do well enough academically to go to medical school.

Orgo I = :sleep:

You're telling me.
All my science classes are filled with "nursing" hopefuls and I use this term loosely. They're all willing to just "slide" by (w/ C's and be happy with their minimal effort) and not even focus on the material at hand but have such high aspirations to one day be inducing us during operation or be primary care nurse practitioners.... if any of the kids at my school (especially those in my classes) were my nurses let alone nurse anesthetist I'd be VERY afraid for my life....:scared:

Haha yeah...usually after the first exam in all of those classes, half of the class drops. I will be sitting there before the final figuring out what I have to get to receive an A in the class and several people there are trying to figure out what they have to get to pass the class and they are in the nursing program. Its crazy!!!
I have not met a single person that I would want to be my nurse. But then again I have maybe met 1 or 2 people that are pre-med that I would want to have as a doctor.

Or they just go to the Caribbean for school...

everyone that i know that looks and nurse anesthetist is usually looking at it for the money. everyone! everyone says, wow, look how much money they make, but I believe it's a doctorate degree and most people think it's comparable to a nurse, but its not. don't look into it if you are only in it for the money, because it is more rigorous and complex than most people think.

I agree with you on it being rigorous and VERY competitive, but it is a masters degree, not a doctorate. I witnessed my mother going to interviews and she applied to 3-4 different schools her first time and finally got into a program in St Louis. Mind you, my mother is an extremely smart cookie. It is hilarous some of the stories that she tells me about her job, but I think it is an excellent career.

Haha yeah...usually after the first exam in all of those classes, half of the class drops. I will be sitting there before the final figuring out what I have to get to receive an A in the class and several people there are trying to figure out what they have to get to pass the class and they are in the nursing program. Its crazy!!!
I have not met a single person that I would want to be my nurse. But then again I have maybe met 1 or 2 people that are pre-med that I would want to have as a doctor.
Same thing happened in ALL my shared classes with nurses. PSY 208 (statistics) they all jumped ship once they knew tests were proctored.... ummm okay? Cheat much? BIO 205 Microbiology... half dropped after they new 3/4 of the class grade was tests/quizzes (mind you, half they time they don't even show up ON time or at all.... great work ethic eh?) and with BIO 201.... oh man thankfully it's online or I'd kill myself.... we have to write discussion boards and they're all whining how hard the tests are, sadly I have a 102%, am 17, and all of them are 20++and claim to have "a lifetime of experience" . What matters more in this case? Reading the book as the teacher instructs or your "lifetime of experience"... I think we all knw the answer here. They better be lucky our class isn't curved or they'd all be falling off the curve with my scores......... :cool:

CRNA is pretty progressive... I personally think if you want to practice medicine you should go to medical school - dont take shortcuts. One thing to add about the required experience... I've heard hospitals don't like to hire new RN grads for ICU because acute care itself takes some experience. So you might add 1+ yr(s) to the minimal work experience required for CRNA programs.