Your opinion--will I get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KH21

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please give me your opinion on my chances of getting into dental school. I am graduating in December w/ a B.S. in biology, gpa=3.0 (possibly a little higher) I have yet to take the DAT although the results of my practice exams are poor (17 or lower). My first choice is UIC (where I go now) , but I am a CA resident, so that makes my chances slim. I have been to 5 different schools (negative according to admissions officers). I worked as a dental assistant over the summer. Any feedback or recommedations would help. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

since you're at uic right now, go work at the dental school. i worked at the oral surgery department there for a year. talk to blanca sanchez and she'll hook you up. they're always looking for help. when you're there, stop by the admissions office and let them know you're interested...

3.0 isn't too bad/good. be sure to do well on the dats. when you apply to illinois schools, see if you have any relatives in illinois that would let you use their address. if they are willing, then submit secondary applications with their addresses...but remember for uic, they prefer nothern illinois residents. and for siu, they DEFINITELY prefer southern illinois residents.

just remember: anything north of I-80 is considered a nothern illinois resident. anything south of I-80 is considered a southern illinois resident...good luck!

Originally posted by Luminous_1
There are people who get into dental schools with lower GPA than yours.

But there are even more people who don't get into dental school with that GPA. I wouldn't be complacent about anything, and the best advice has already been given -- do WELL on the DAT. If you do poorly (less than 19s) then you probably won't get accepted anywhere. Do well on it and you have a chance. Shoot for 20s in every subject. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Have hope, I know people that have got into good schools with lower than 3.0. Frankly I have not heard anyone one not being able to get into a dental school. I feel unlike medical schools eventually you will get in somewhere. If on first try you don't try again.

KH21

I assume you?re applying for 2004.
I think you could definitely get in if you use your time wisely. Work in the dental school like Pi__Guy mentioned or get involved with some research. You could also take some graduate courses before the next application cycle. Also apply wisely. Buy the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools. It will give you a better idea of which schools you have the best chance at getting into.
Best of Luck!

You definitely have a chance. I know GPA is a big factor in their decision, but if you have a lot of other things under your belt, you won't have a problem. Definitely do well on the DAT! As GavinC said, shoot for 20's. If you are applying for 2004, take this time to find some dental research...that would help you out alot. Also, it is good that you have assisting experience, that is a plus! A 3.0 GPA is borderline, but you are still in there if you have supporting credentials! I know people with 2.8 overall GPA's that got in even with 18/18 on DAT...at least to NYU. So my next advice is, pick your schools wisely....

Boston Univ. and NYU are good choices if you feel that you are not that competitive...you may have a good chance with these schools...sorry, I dont know much about Illinois residency.

Good luck!