Your Opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWontStopBelieving

Reaction score
Hi, I hope all is well!

Here is a summary of my Pre-dental Stats. Please take your time to look this over and let me know what you think.

- Cumulative Undergrad GPA: 3.10

- Science GPA: 2.9

- Just graduated undergrad (Spring 2020). Earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology.

- I have slightly over 1000 hours of
experience in the field of dentistry (Includes dental assisting, pre-dental internship through SHPEP, volunteering, and shadowing)

- During my time as an undergrad, I was the President of the Physics Club and the Vice President for the Pre-dental Club.

-
I Failed the DAT: ( First Attempt, I set time aside to study for an entire summer until an unexpected situation occurred and took all of my summer time. I took the DAT during a school semester )
* Academic Average -14
* Biology -15
* General Chemistry -16
* Organic Chemistry -10
* Perceptual Ability -14
* Quantitative Reasoning -14
* Reading Comprehension -15
* Survey of the Natural Sciences -14

My first time applying ( Varied based on school deadline, August 2019 - March 2020 ) DAT average 14, Cum GPA: 3.0, Sci GPA: 2.7) Not one interview, which is understandable.

My second time applying ( Current cycle Applying before October 2020). Changes since last application- DAT average ( Taking the DAT August 2020, will most likely get a 24 overall), Cum GPA: 3.10, Sci GPA: 2.9

Members don't see this ad.

"Will most likely get a 24 overall" -- okay buddy. You realize that something like 2% of total scores on the DAT are 24+? Don't get too cocky. In addition, you will likely need to get that science GPA up to at least a 3.0 so you don't get auto-rejected. I would spend the summer taking some science classes to get that sGPA above a 3.0, and study for the DAT as hard as you can and shoot for a 22+.

Btw, I got a 24 on my DAT, so I know how difficult that really is. Please don't get cocky with it -- going from a 14 to a 24 is insanely difficult.

Reactions: 4 users
Everybody gets a 24+ until they they realize the printout is not a computer glitch.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"Will most likely get a 24 overall" -- okay buddy. You realize that something like 2% of total scores on the DAT are 24+? Don't get too cocky. In addition, you will likely need to get that science GPA up to at least a 3.0 so you don't get auto-rejected. I would spend the summer taking some science classes to get that sGPA above a 3.0, and study for the DAT as hard as you can and shoot for a 22+.

Btw, I got a 24 on my DAT, so I know how difficult that really is. Please don't get cocky with it -- going from a 14 to a 24 is insanely difficult.
What materials would you recommend using? Destroyer?

What materials would you recommend using? Destroyer?
I used DAT Bootcamp for the practice tests/PAT/Bio. Practiced the RC section using the skim method created by Kaplan where you jot down little bits of relevant information in each paragraph off to the side so you can quickly look at your notes when reading the questions so you can go back to the exact part of the passage quickly. Used Chad's videos for Chemistry/Orgo (MOST IMPORTANT thing I did, I think). Studied for 3 straight months 6 days a week for about 5 hours a day (Sunday's off). 28 on RC, 19 on PAT, 19 on Bio, 24 on Orgo, 26 on Chem, 21 in QR.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that you should bring your GPAs up to at least 3.0, that is the cutoff for most schools.

And I agree that you might be a good candidate for a post bacc.

You also need to do an exhaustive study of the DAT, which can take up to 6 months if you study at a reasonable pace. However it can be done in 3 months, if you’re studying seriously 5-10 hours a day everyday for 90 days with few breaks. During studying, spend the extra $ and time to thoroughly go through DAT destroyer (For chem/bio/QR, old copy is fine), chad’s videos (for chemistry/QR review), and barron’s AP biology. For RC, look up strategies that work for you and practice on as many tests as possible. This will bring up your AA/TS. I posted my own RC technique in the DAT section of sdn that worked for me, because I was initially scoring terribly on the practice exams in this section. I also like DAT crack for RC and PAT, since it wasn’t too intense and gave me a sense for tackling these sections. I liked bootcamp as a final study tool, since the tests are extremely difficult and hit all subjects. I found that the order of importance in the eyes of schools for the different scores is AA>TS (chem/bio)>RC>PAT>QR, so keep this in mind in your study. This will do you a world of good! No pain, no gain!