Your opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HeyArnold

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Here is my background information:

- GPA: 3.5 (which has increased every year: Freshmen 3.1, Sophomore 3.4, Junior 3.8)
- I have very strong extracurriculars. I am a 3-year varsity swimmer elected captain my junior and senior years. I am Vice President on the Athletic Leadership Council and a member of student government
- I have one year of research experience with a Biology professor at my school.
- Strong community service background (tutoring, habitat for humanity, clean up graffitti downtown, raise money to adopt families around christmas)

My only real problem is my DAT score(s) -
Overall 18, Science 18 (Bio 19, GC 18, OC 18), Reading 20, PAT 18, Math 16

My question to you all, should I retake the DAT? On practice tests I got 20s and 21s in most sections, but on test day my scores were much lower. The earliest I can retake it would be Oct 30th, which is late in terms of the applciation cycle. I've already been invited to Indiana and Case. I would appreciate any advice that you can provide. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Seeing as how most retakes are actually lower scores, I wouldn't advise a retake unless you plan to study hardcore again. I got an 18 the first time but then started the entire studying process again from the beginning and then got 20. Your scores should be good enough to get you in your state school at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at their predents, I see that they accept a lot of non-residents. I would assume that those guys have much higher stats than the average (GPA 3.51 DAT 19.58) which means they must accept residents with lower stats. Email or call the head of admissions there and see what they suggest you do.