Your prognosis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonick123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm MS1 and currently interested in anesthesiology. But i was told anesthesiology would dramatically change in the next 20-30 years and it would be quite different. Also, is true that anesthesiologist work FOR not WITH the surgeon and the nurses treat them really bad. I have volunteered for some time but didn't see anything of that.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I'm MS1 and currently interested in anesthesiology. But i was told anesthesiology would dramatically change in the next 20-30 years and it would be quite different.
I think pretty much all of US healthcare is changing, and probably will change in the next 20-30 year. That includes anesthesiology, but also other specialties. Some for better, some for worse. But, welp, who can predict which ones will be for better, which ones will be worse? Or how it's going to be overall? Unfortunately we don't really know. Best to do what you enjoy. No guarantees in the future. But if you do what you enjoy, then you'll hopefully still have that, even if everything else gets really bad.
Also, is true that anesthesiologist work FOR not WITH the surgeon and the nurses treat them really bad. I have volunteered for some time but didn't see anything of that.
I'd say that depends on the practice environment and culture. Some places yes, other places no. At least in my experience. But for the most part, yes, your "clients" will be the surgeons. It doesn't mean you can't be professional and colleagues and all that. But the business aspects are always good to keep in mind.

Hope all this helps at least somewhat.

Last edited:
Also, is true that anesthesiologist work FOR not WITH the surgeon and the nurses treat them really bad. I have volunteered for some time but didn't see anything of that.
If you ask the surgeon, yes, I work for the surgeon. If you ask me, I work for the patient. If you ask the nurse, she won't hear you because she is watering her Farmville crops (is that even still a thing?).

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As a MS1 you should concentrate on doing well on Step 1 and keep your options open. Shadow if you have time, rotate when you're a MS3, and always keep in mind that the glimpse of specialty A you get in an academic hospital as a student may be substantially different than the life of a PP attending.

All of healthcare is changing (the same can be said for any corner of any western economy). Everyone will be working harder and earning less. We've been waiting for the walls to fall in on anesthesia for a while. They look a little unsteady but no collapse yet.

We are a service specialty and not an ego/glory specialty. If you're worried what other people think of you, be a surgeon ... it won't make the world revolve around you, but you'll think it does and that's what matters. :)

Also, is true that anesthesiologist work FOR not WITH the surgeon and the nurses treat them really bad.
You don't work FOR them. You facilitate their work. The bottom line is that they bring the patients and have all the leverage from that. So, if they don't like you, you are done. Some surgeons misbehave, especially the older ones, but that can be managed (provided they don't bring millions to the hospital) if you report them to the proper people in the hospital.

That's is changing too. More and more surgeons are becoming employees to the hospital. These guys don't really have much leverage. Your future depends on on how much the hospital values your work (speed and outcome).

The surgeons are being slowly emasculated.

The prognosis of Anesthesiology directly relates to 2016.

hillary.jpg

Not sure even if the GOP wins that'll change much though? Even if they can repeal the ACA, there seems to be lots of other issues for anesthesiology and medicine as a whole to overcome. I hope I'm wrong of course.

Last edited:
Doom and gloom in the room. Soon the tomb. We need a big boom to restart from the womb, and in a zoom so we can once again bloom.

Doom and gloom in the room. Soon the tomb. We need a big boom to restart from the womb, and in a zoom so we can once again bloom.

Out of my Residency class, from a top ten Program (national) , 3/4 of the class have sold their practice to a management company, been taken over by a hospital or medical center or become employees of an AMC(hostile takeover). The remaining 1/4 of the class practice in the Midwest or West and are still with independent groups.

So, if you enter this field go WEST or MIDWEST.

Reactions: 1 users
My residency class from the third worst in the nation 3 driving cabs 2 redid residency in medicine, 3 employed. Can you guess which one I am... HInt.. Are you going to the jet blue terminal sir?

Reactions: 1 user
My residency class from the third worst in the nation 3 driving cabs 2 redid residency in medicine, 3 employed. Can you guess which one I am... HInt.. Are you going to the jet blue terminal sir?
Whoa, are you serious you're driving a taxi now? I hope this isn't true! Feel bad for you if so. But surely even if you re-do residency in something else (e.g. IM) then you would be making more or at least equal as a resident than as a taxi cab driver, not to mention working towards something with good job prospects?

Whoa, are you serious you're driving a taxi now? I hope this isn't true! Feel bad for you if so. But surely even if you re-do residency in something else (e.g. IM) then you would be making more or at least equal as a resident than as a taxi cab driver, not to mention working towards something with good job prospects?

Yeah but a taxi driver is the king of his domain. A doctor is forced to jump through non-evidence based hoops created by bureaucrats looking to justify their own parasitic existence.