Your Reward

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peduncle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you say makes you feel the most rewarded at the end of the day?
Most clinical medicine types say that they feel rewarded when their patient improves.... how about for a radiologist??

Members don't see this ad.

My reward is knowing I'm going to leave the hospital at 5pm every day no matter what.
My reward is knowing when I get home that I will never be paged under any circumstances related to work.
My reward is knowing that I'm not working this weekend, or the next, or the next, or the one after that, etc.
My reward is knowing my financial reimbursement is 2x that of almost everyone else in the hospital.
My reward is knowing with 12 weeks of vacation a year, I'm always never that far away from the next week off and break.

My reward is knowing that because of all of the above I can still significantly contribute to the care of people without sacrificing my life and other interests in doing so.

Most clinical medicine types say that they feel rewarded when their patient improves.... how about for a radiologist??

Honestly, I don't get much as much enjoyment from seeing patients improve as others. It reminds me of the old saying that the job of the physician is to entertain the patient while nature takes its course, for better or for worse. And again, I'm not a person who likes adulation or attention. I'm always uncomfortable when patients thank me for taking care of them or stuff like that...I know some people live on it. I'm happier behind the scenes.

Members don't see this ad :)

You may be asking this tongue-in-cheek to take a jab at radiology, but I'll assume you're legitimately interested in knowing.

I take reward from when a clinician, particular an ER doc, has no idea what's going on with the patient and - following the scan - I can call them up and say, "the patient has _____". Obviously that doesn't happen every time, but it happens often enough that I don't feel unfilled from my work.

That, and all the stuff Scooter said too.

My reward is knowing that I'm not working this weekend, or the next, or the next, or the one after that, etc.

Kinda off the topic of the rewards of radiology; but who exactly reads on weekends and holidays with no radiologists? Or do you just have some kind of amazing contract that differs from most radiologists?

I'm still in residency. However, I can assure you that I will not join a group that does not have nighthawk/telerad coverage for nights and weekends. The other alternative is an outpatient group where the hours are only mon-fri during the day and the imaging center is closed otherwise.

Kinda off the topic of the rewards of radiology; but who exactly reads on weekends and holidays with no radiologists? Or do you just have some kind of amazing contract that differs from most radiologists?

My reward is knowing I'm going to leave the hospital at 5pm every day no matter what.
My reward is knowing when I get home that I will never be paged under any circumstances related to work.
My reward is knowing my financial reimbursement is 2x that of almost everyone else in the hospital.
My reward is knowing with 12 weeks of vacation a year, I'm always never that far away from the next week off and break.

My reward is knowing that because of all of the above I can still significantly contribute to the care of people without sacrificing my life and other interests in doing so.

Do you plan on working in academics or a standalone imaging center? If not, you are largely dreaming. As someone who has practiced for an extended time as a rad, most semi-aggressive practices are way more intense than you make things out to be. Compensation is good, better than many other specialties, but there is considerable pressure to work quickly. Much of the time you have off will be spent at meetings or in front of your PC keeping up with changes in imaging modalities or learning new ones. You better choose a large practice with few sites or many of those weekends you have off will evaporate with call.

Radiology is indeed a great field, but one that may be in the crosshairs if medical reform ever takes place. Not unexpectedly, there is a direct relationship between how hard you work and how much you make. Most of the people I know making big bucks are busting their butts; if you find another way, please let us know.

Sorry but you don't sound like you have worked a private practice job before.

-There are many times where you will stay past 5 pm in a hospital practice. If I get out at 5, I consider that a good day. I usually get in before 7 am.
-Weekends are very common (obviously) if you are in a group that covers a hospital. Maybe in a purely outpatient practice you could get away from doing weekends. Our group has 3 rads covering every weekend plus the ones on call.
- You honestly think you will never get paged when you get home? Someone has to take call. Even if you have nighthawk service you will be paged for a variety of reasons.
- Your income will be 2x most of the primary care physicians, but surgeons (all types), cards, anes, derm and some others will be very close if not higher in some cases.
-There are many, many groups where 12+ vacation is not the norm. I finally got to that figure after a long time in practice. In exactly one year, we cut it back down to 8 weeks to keep from higher new rads because of significant cuts in reimbursement.

You make it sound like PP rads is a cakewalk. Wait till you get into practice. You will see it isn't.