Your salary questions answered

Started by alferec
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

alferec

Future Army OD
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here is a spreadsheet that breaks down average optometrist salaries by state and the nationwide average. I took the data from the 2005 Occupational Employment Statistics (OES) Survey, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Department of Labor.

http://www.angelfire.com/music5/secretaznman/sheetlink.html

*Make sure you use the key by clicking on the "Key" tab on the bottom of the sheet!

Here are some highlights:

MEAN $95,769.22
MEDIAN $94,480.00

Alabama $80,180.00
Alaska $148,000.00
Arizona $84,030.00
Arkansas $120,930.00
California $89,950.00
Colorado $64,630.00
Connecticut $108,140.00
Delaware $125,290.00
District of Columbia $67,380.00
Florida $103,470.00
Georgia $118,560.00
Hawaii $88,130.00
Idaho $60,400.00
Illinois $86,530.00
Indiana $79,880.00
Iowa $96,230.00
Kansas $94,520.00
Kentucky $87,970.00
Louisiana $92,910.00
Maine $114,980.00
Maryland $89,300.00
Massachusetts $71,450.00
Michigan $96,380.00
Minnesota $117,380.00
Mississippi $97,840.00
Missouri $75,140.00
Montana $90,210.00
Nebraska $107,390.00
Nevada $97,300.00
New Hampshire $129,350.00
New Jersey $102,120.00
New Mexico $94,080.00
New York $113,420.00
North Carolina $118,380.00
North Dakota $97,220.00
Ohio $115,990.00
Oklahoma $104,830.00
Oregon $84,440.00
Pennsylvania $81,210.00
Puerto Rico $40,440.00
South Carolina $78,180.00
South Dakota $114,080.00
Tennessee $89,600.00
Texas $80,640.00
Utah $75,130.00
Vermont $107,220.00
Virginia $105,400.00
Washington $114,800.00
West Virginia $94,270.00
Wisconsin $94,480.00
Wyoming $94,450.00

Enjoy! I hope this information was helpful.
 
As these salaries quoted for practice owners or associated doctors?

I can say that I worked in three of those states and I was never paid anywhere NEAR what is listed for those states as an associated doctor in either commercial or private practices. Those numbers seem too high.


alferec said:
Here is a spreadsheet that breaks down average optometrist salaries by state and the nationwide average. I took the data from the 2005 Occupational Employment Statistics (OES) Survey, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Department of Labor.

http://www.angelfire.com/music5/secretaznman/sheetlink.html

*Make sure you use the key by clicking on the "Key" tab on the bottom of the sheet!

Here are some highlights:

MEAN $95,769.22
MEDIAN $94,480.00

Alabama $80,180.00
Alaska $148,000.00
Arizona $84,030.00
Arkansas $120,930.00
California $89,950.00
Colorado $64,630.00
Connecticut $108,140.00
Delaware $125,290.00
District of Columbia $67,380.00
Florida $103,470.00
Georgia $118,560.00
Hawaii $88,130.00
Idaho $60,400.00
Illinois $86,530.00
Indiana $79,880.00
Iowa $96,230.00
Kansas $94,520.00
Kentucky $87,970.00
Louisiana $92,910.00
Maine $114,980.00
Maryland $89,300.00
Massachusetts $71,450.00
Michigan $96,380.00
Minnesota $117,380.00
Mississippi $97,840.00
Missouri $75,140.00
Montana $90,210.00
Nebraska $107,390.00
Nevada $97,300.00
New Hampshire $129,350.00
New Jersey $102,120.00
New Mexico $94,080.00
New York $113,420.00
North Carolina $118,380.00
North Dakota $97,220.00
Ohio $115,990.00
Oklahoma $104,830.00
Oregon $84,440.00
Pennsylvania $81,210.00
Puerto Rico $40,440.00
South Carolina $78,180.00
South Dakota $114,080.00
Tennessee $89,600.00
Texas $80,640.00
Utah $75,130.00
Vermont $107,220.00
Virginia $105,400.00
Washington $114,800.00
West Virginia $94,270.00
Wisconsin $94,480.00
Wyoming $94,450.00

Enjoy! I hope this information was helpful.
 
KHE said:
As these salaries quoted for practice owners or associated doctors?

I can say that I worked in three of those states and I was never paid anywhere NEAR what is listed for those states as an associated doctor in either commercial or private practices. Those numbers seem too high.

Nevada $97,300.00

I know of a few associate positions in Northern Nevada that pay higher than listed above.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
KHE said:
As these salaries quoted for practice owners or associated doctors?

I can say that I worked in three of those states and I was never paid anywhere NEAR what is listed for those states as an associated doctor in either commercial or private practices. Those numbers seem too high.


These are averages. This includes the 30+yr docs and the fresh grads. If you get a new job right out of school, don't expect those salaries, but also, expect to make more than that after you are in practice for a while. I think these seem about right.
 
rpames said:
These are averages. This includes the 30+yr docs and the fresh grads. If you get a new job right out of school, don't expect those salaries, but also, expect to make more than that after you are in practice for a while. I think these seem about right.

I've also practiced in three of the states listed. Let's assume that these are correct. Someone out there is making a lot of money... I made half of the average in two of the three states and I was grateful for it because I was also offered less.
 
prettygreeneyes said:
I know of a few associate positions in Northern Nevada that pay higher than listed above.

I'm relieved to hear that because neither I nor any of my collegues were making anywhere close to the published amounts in any of the three states that I practiced in unless they were working at least 300 days a year.
 
it would appear that the posters on these forums and thier friends represent the lower income end of the earnings of the average optometrist. maybe thats a trend, those that post here earn less! bad implications for me!!

maybe that is also why there are so many grumpy and doom sayers here!
 
I was going to compare this to the salaries I'd posted before, but the "advanced search" button seems to have dissapeared. Correct me if I'm wrong.
 
Damn! 148,000, sure i know it's an average, but WOW~~too bad i've been spoiled by the bay area's weather. but for 60k maybe i can wear a parka
 
KHE said:
As these salaries quoted for practice owners or associated doctors?

I can say that I worked in three of those states and I was never paid anywhere NEAR what is listed for those states as an associated doctor in either commercial or private practices. Those numbers seem too high.
Come on Ken, you know that the average salary for an OD increases with the number of years he/she is in practice with salaries maxing out after about 26-30 years in practice. My first job paid less than the average but if I was still there today I would be just above the average for Washington State. When I purchased my practice however, I was immediately above the average and 5 years later I have increased the gap significantly. It all depends on the type of practice and as with any average salary statistic there will be those that are higher and those that will be lower.
 
Ben Chudner said:
It all depends on the type of practice and as with any average salary statistic there will be those that are higher and those that will be lower.

Yes... thank you!!! Perhaps some of us have forgotten what the word "average" means??? Don't expect to be a millionaire as an optometrist... be smart...save money... and you'll be fine. (Right? :scared: )
 
still_confused said:
it would appear that the posters on these forums and thier friends represent the lower income end of the earnings of the average optometrist. maybe thats a trend, those that post here earn less! bad implications for me!!

maybe that is also why there are so many grumpy and doom sayers here!

you also have to take into account that most of the docs that post here are fresh out of school. So, we will be on the lower end of the pay spectrum. You can't expect to make the average right out of school.
 
Ben Chudner said:
Come on Ken, you know that the average salary for an OD increases with the number of years he/she is in practice with salaries maxing out after about 26-30 years in practice. My first job paid less than the average but if I was still there today I would be just above the average for Washington State. When I purchased my practice however, I was immediately above the average and 5 years later I have increased the gap significantly. It all depends on the type of practice and as with any average salary statistic there will be those that are higher and those that will be lower.

You're absolutely right Ben. That's my whole point. There are just too many different variables (commercial vs private, employed vs owner, commercial lease vs independent contractor) that it makes looking at lists like this which list "average" income is misleading and unhelpful.

The original poster also used the word "salaries" which could lead students or prospective students to think that those stats are averages for employed positions which is almost certainly wrong.
 
It seems like co-management or privatge practice, are trying to pay least amount possible at sametime, we are selling ourself to the practice and finding out how much we are worth. So in that note, average salary is just a number. Doesn't mean much to recent graduates.

So... then how much should you be expecting as 1st year entering salary for new optometrist??

How much should I be expecting for newly entering optometrist into co-managment practice own by ophthmologist vs. private practice vs. coop. optical chain??
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
cops in my town make $100,00 after 5 years on the job. they can retire at age 47( i assume after they have been on the job for 20 years) and get $ 75,000/ year until they die.
 
Well, my brother decided not to go to optometry school. He said it will cost him $200,000 to go to optom school and then make $100,000 when he gets out . He said the math does'nt add up and that he can make more money doing something else. So there is another spot open for someone who got waitlisted. You know my brother has a point.
 
HOLLYWOOD said:
Well, my brother decided not to go to optometry school. He said it will cost him $200,000 to go to optom school and then make $100,000 when he gets out . He said the math does'nt add up and that he can make more money doing something else. So there is another spot open for someone who got waitlisted. You know my brother has a point.

I hope that's not the only reason why he decided not to go to optometry school.
 
KHE said:
As these salaries quoted for practice owners or associated doctors?

I can say that I worked in three of those states and I was never paid anywhere NEAR what is listed for those states as an associated doctor in either commercial or private practices. Those numbers seem too high.

I don't mean to start a flame war, but here in Canada (excluding the province of Quebec), those salaries are well within the norm of ODs who work full-time 5 or 6 days per week. Many of my local colleagues earn in excess of $130,000 per year - I'd say the norm is around $100k. I'm in that range myself, but I usually work six days per week.
 
OntOD said:
I don't mean to start a flame war, but here in Canada (excluding the province of Quebec), those salaries are well within the norm of ODs who work full-time 5 or 6 days per week. Many of my local colleagues earn in excess of $130,000 per year - I'd say the norm is around $100k. I'm in that range myself, but I usually work six days per week.

100k in Canadian money and coupled with Canadian tax rates is in line with what I was paid in optometry here in the USA.
 
we cant compare US and Canadien earnings. They have a much better social system in Canada! Cant beat thier healthcare and retirement services, something we have to pay for ourselves here
 
still_confused said:
we cant compare US and Canadien earnings. They have a much better social system in Canada! Cant beat thier healthcare and retirement services, something we have to pay for ourselves here

I don't think you can inform KHE on anything he doesn't already know....since he is Canadian and all....

as for retirement services, I've always been under the impression that was basically a fend for yourself thing in the true north stong and free 😍
 
I've been in doing this for several years so here's my take:

1) sure, you can make a decent amount of money anywhere (150k+)
2) do you really want to work six or seven days a week, or have a life too?
3) you might hear the registers going off as people buy milk and bandaids
4) you might be a little less worried about the ideal place to work once the loans need to be repaid.
5) idealized future private practices dont' always materialize
6) you might be frustrated no one wants to pay for your devalued services
7) everyone still assumes since you are a doctor you makes tons of money
8) but viturally no one considers you a real doctor
9) private ODs are sometimes willing to bring you in, but pay less than you think is acceptable
10) medical panels won't accept you in some cases, or pay you properly