Your Suggestions Wanted: MCAT Subforum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are planning to add some new posts to the MCAT subforum Explanations threads. If those of you who used the subforum (or who plan to use it this summer!) would let us know what topics you would like to see covered, that would really help us out. You can suggest topics from any of the MCAT subjects, general MCAT info, or even ideas for new subforum features that you think would be helpful. Thanks in advance to everyone. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Bumping up. Come on, guys and gals. I know the subforum is good, but there is always room for improvement. What isn't included in the subforum that you would like to see included? Help me (and your fellow SDNers) out here.

Members don't see this ad :)
QofQuimica said:
We are planning to add some new posts to the MCAT subforum Explanations threads. If those of you who used the subforum (or who plan to use it this summer!) would let us know what topics you would like to see covered, that would really help us out. You can suggest topics from any of the MCAT subjects, general MCAT info, or even ideas for new subforum features that you think would be helpful. Thanks in advance to everyone. :)

I have only skimmed thru the subforum, is it only related to specific topic of MCAT or you guys can also cover other aspects of the test (like computer based vs pencil) Now that it will be computer based maybe one can talk how one should approach this?

I think a subforum devoted soley to study aids, classes, books, etc. would be extremely helpful, if it was not already obvious :)

QofQuimica said:

The organic chemistry sticky, in my opinion, is not as strong as the others. I would like to see more sub-topics from Organic I and II. The same goes with bio, it would be great if we could have more posts in the sticky regarding the various organ systems and their functions.

Thank you and congratulations Q on becoming moderator.

travelbug73 said:
The organic chemistry sticky, in my opinion, is not as strong as the others. I would like to see more sub-topics from Organic I and II. The same goes with bio, it would be great if we could have more posts in the sticky regarding the various organ systems and their functions.

Thank you and congratulations Q on becoming moderator.
I plan to write more organic and gen chem posts this summer. travelbug, if you would like to write some more biology posts, that would be great. You can add them whenever you're finished, and I'll insert them into the TOC.

Sundarban1 said:
I think a subforum devoted soley to study aids, classes, books, etc. would be extremely helpful, if it was not already obvious :)
All right, tell me what you think of this idea: I'm thinking that I'll do an experimental thread and start with say, the Kaplan live course. It will have a poll where people can vote from 1-10 on how helpful the course was, and then they can comment as they wish below. If this goes well and people find it helpful, then I'll make some more threads for some of the other test prep options. We'll have them all linked in a sticky at the top of the page, and so someone who is thinking of taking the Kaplan live course versus the TPR one can read each thread and see how other people liked the courses. Thoughts or suggestions?

QofQuimica said:
All right, tell me what you think of this idea: I'm thinking that I'll do an experimental thread and start with say, the Kaplan live course. It will have a poll where people can vote from 1-10 on how helpful the course was, and then they can comment as they wish below. If this goes well and people find it helpful, then I'll make some more threads for some of the other test prep options. We'll have them all linked in a sticky at the top of the page, and so someone who is thinking of taking the Kaplan live course versus the TPR one can read each thread and see how other people liked the courses. Thoughts or suggestions?
Ok, here's our beta thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=279880 Please only vote if you have taken a live (classroom) Kaplan course. We'll try this for a week or so, and if it goes well, I'll make some more and we'll link them all in a sticky at the top of the forum.

Anastasis said:
I like the idea of breaking bio down into specific organ systems. I think that will be helpful.
Do you mean explanation posts on each organ system, or are you looking for individual threads? We've already broken bio up into two threads, so I don't think I'd really like to have more. But if you want to have posts on each organ system, I think that's a great idea. I'll ask MollyMalone if she'd be willing to write some.

QofQuimica said:
Do you mean explanation posts on each organ system, or are you looking for individual threads? We've already broken bio up into two threads, so I don't think I'd really like to have more. But if you want to have posts on each organ system, I think that's a great idea. I'll ask MollyMalone if she'd be willing to write some.
Not seperate threads, just posts going into detail.

i'd like to help out answering questions in the subforum once i get some time

Members don't see this ad :)
totalcommand said:
i'd like to help out answering questions in the subforum once i get some time
That would be great. Thanks for volunteering; it should be pretty quiet in there for a while, but things will get crazy in another couple of months. ;)

For the record, anyone who has taken the MCAT and would like to help answer questions in the subforum is welcome to do so. Please don't answer questions though if you haven't taken the test yet and/or finished the pre-reqs yet, unless you are a grad student who wants to answer questions in your field.

I'll volunteer to answer some questions too. But maybe you'll want to wait til my scores come back, :smuggrin:

Plus, I promise to stay away from electrochemistry - not really my strong suit in case you noticed :laugh:

Anastasis said:
I'll volunteer to answer some questions too. But maybe you'll want to wait til my scores come back, :smuggrin:

Plus, I promise to stay away from electrochemistry - not really my strong suit in case you noticed :laugh:
There is no minimum score necessary to answer questions. I would just ask that you not answer questions in areas (like electrochem!) that are not strengths of yours. If you notice, I tend to stay away from the verbal, physiology and physics myself, being the chem-loving girl that I am. ;)

Anastasis said:

I agree with the post about subforums for study aids and courses etc., so instead of seeing the same posts coming up over again, they can just consult the sub-forums for say: "Prep courses" - and you could have ppl's opinions of the courses, course descriptions, etc. "Prep material" - and you could discuss which books are good for which subject (ex. EK physics vs Nova Physics) and detail the prices or something.

Another good subforum would be - and this was already a topic but should be made a sticky - is "how to deal with MCAT stress, or stress in general for premeds" and you could discuss meditation, yoga, exercise, foods, mindsets and perspective towards med school admissions/mcat etc.

xylem29 said:
I agree with the post about subforums for study aids and courses etc., so instead of seeing the same posts coming up over again, they can just consult the sub-forums for say: "Prep courses" - and you could have ppl's opinions of the courses, course descriptions, etc. "Prep material" - and you could discuss which books are good for which subject (ex. EK physics vs Nova Physics) and detail the prices or something.

Another good subforum would be - and this was already a topic but should be made a sticky - is "how to deal with MCAT stress, or stress in general for premeds" and you could discuss meditation, yoga, exercise, foods, mindsets and perspective towards med school admissions/mcat etc.
I've started making threads for rating test prep courses here in the main MCAT forum. If you haven't seen them already, they are linked to a sticky at the top of the page. If those of you who have taken one of the live courses (Kaplan or TPR) would rate your course, that would be super. I am going to make and link additional ratings threads for the Kaplan online (computer only) course, the EK self-study course, and the AO self-study course. I will also have a thread for "other study methods." These seem to be the most popular options from what I can tell based on the questions that get posted here. Are there any other prep methods besides these five that you guys think are so popular that they should have their own threads?

I think the idea of having a stress reduction thread is also a good idea, and I will think about how to do that while I set up the test prep rating threads. Anyone have any other ideas? You guys are doing great with the brainstorming; please keep them coming!

QofQuimica said:
I've started making threads for rating test prep courses here in the main MCAT forum. If you haven't seen them already, they are linked to a sticky at the top of the page. If those of you who have taken one of the live courses (Kaplan or TPR) would rate your course, that would be super. I am going to make and link additional ratings threads for the Kaplan online (computer only) course, the EK self-study course, and the AO self-study course. I will also have a thread for "other study methods." These seem to be the most popular options from what I can tell based on the questions that get posted here. Are there any other prep methods besides these five that you guys think are so popular that they should have their own threads?

I think the idea of having a stress reduction thread is also a good idea, and I will think about how to do that while I set up the test prep rating threads. Anyone have any other ideas? You guys are doing great with the brainstorming; please keep them coming!

What would be helpful if the amcas outline was used and you give information and examples based on following the outline. Specifically organic chemistry.

Also Q, I will be pm'ing you.

Thanks for doing this - alot of work

Sort Of MCAT related...but Instead of having a million what are my chances threads, can we just have one super thread where people can ask the infamous question and have people who have gone through the admissions cycle give them advice?

nextgendoc said:
What would be helpful if the amcas outline was used and you give information and examples based on following the outline. Specifically organic chemistry.
Dude(tte), that would entail writing an entire book. :eek: I'm planning to add some more organic topics posts this summer, but I'm not sure I can cover the entire AAMC review outline. There are definitely certain topics that give people more trouble anyway. I'm thinking that the purification methods (distillation, recrystallization, chromatography) and the spectroscopy methods (NMR, IR, MS) would be especially good to include, b/c there seems to be a lot of questions on those things. If you had to pick the top organic concepts that give you the most trouble, what would those be? Help me prioritize here, because I can't get it all.

DrVanNostran said:
Sort Of MCAT related...but Instead of having a million what are my chances threads, can we just have one super thread where people can ask the infamous question and have people who have gone through the admissions cycle give them advice?
I think that this is a good idea, but it belongs more in the pre-allo forum than here. Will you PM MollyMalone and ask her about setting a thread like this up?

QofQuimica said:
I think that this is a good idea, but it belongs more in the pre-allo forum than here. Will you PM MollyMalone and ask her about setting a thread like this up?

sure thing ;) I know I will be the first to post in the super thread if it starts :laugh: