Your Thoughts On EMDR? (Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FallenMind

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a professor who loves conducting EMDR with clients experiencing PTSD. I just don't understand the cognitive and neuropsychological implications of EMDR. (I understand what it's proposing, but it just doesn't appear to be valid to me) Also, I've run into clients who have told me that it supposedly worked for them in the past. Has anyone conducted EMDR, read about it, or know anyone who uses it? What are your thoughts about it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know a professor who loves conducting EMDR with clients experiencing PTSD. I just don't understand the cognitive and neuropsychological implications of EMDR. (I understand what it's proposing, but it just don't appear to be valid to me) Also, I've run into clients who have told me that it supposedly worked for them in the past. Has anyone conducted EMDR, read about it, or know anyone who uses it? What are your thoughts about it?

We've discussed this a bit on here. What I've seen is a general agreement that it's repackaged exposure therapy with some bunk added in and sold for thousands of dollars, primarily to people who aren't trained in spotting bunk (read Master's level clinicians).

Research indicates that it works, but does not indicate that the eye movements themselves are the mechanism of change--rather, it is the behavioral elements of EMDR that seem to be the key (and you don't need to pay money to learn those).

Members don't see this ad :)
Edit: Actually, read the book listed below for a better example of types of therapy.

Last edited:
I know a well-respected clinical psychologist out of NYU who does EMDR with clients for PTSD and other trauma-related concerns. I have spoken with her about the apparently scant research support for the neurological mechanisms at work in EMDR (which is what I have heard, though not directly investigated myself) and she indicated that there actually is substantial neuroscientific support in the trauma literature, but that myths, bias, and prejudice abound among psychologists who are not steeped in the trauma research. So, I take that to mean it may be worth another look, and until you really know the literature base, it's probably best to maintain an open mind and look into it yourself if you really want to be informed on the subject.

So, I take that to mean it may be worth another look, and until you really know the literature base, it's probably best to maintain an open mind and look into it yourself if you really want to be informed on the subject.

If you can, get specifics. I'd be very interested in seeing those articles.

I remember all of the EMDR debates on the ABCT listserv. There are always people who claim that it's exposure with bells and whistles, and then other people who claim that the eye movements themselves matter. Research supporting the latter is pretty inconsistent, but does exist: http://researchrepository.murdoch.edu.au/13100/

EMDR is basically exposure therapy with a touch of placebo thrown in for good measure. Sadly when doing utilization review I had insurance companies request EMDR for PTSD symptoms. The one question that should be foremost regarding therapeutic efficacy is whether a therapy is effective for the reasons the theory says it should be. You can do outcome studies up the ying yang. Unless you have a way to test the efficacy of the underlying mechanisms behind the therapeutic process, then outcome studies are of limited value. The theory I have heard is that eye movement in some way mimics or triggers the reprocessing of remembered material in the same way REM sleep aids in the reprocessing and consolidation of memory. This supposedly occurs because REM motor movements and cognitive reprocessing are classically conditioned.This explanation would appear to me to be on the same level as shamanism, throwing chicken bones, astrology, and the reading of animal entrails. To me it makes no sense from a neuroscience perspective.

Some good references:

Rosen, G.M. (1999). Treatment fidelity and research on eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR). Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 13, 173-184.

Cahill, S.P., Carrigan, M.H., Frueh, B.C. (1999). Does EMDR Work? And if so, Why? A critical review of controlled outcome and dismantling research. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 13, 5-33.

Carrigan, M.H., & Levis, D.J. (1999). The contributions of eye movements to the efficacy of brief exposure treatment for reducing fear of public speaking. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 13, 101-118.

Devilly, G.J., & Spence, S.H. (1999). The relative efficacy and treatment distress of EMDR and a cognitive-behaivor trauma treatment protocol in the amelioration of posttraumatic stress disorder. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 13, 131-157.

I'd also recommend reading Lilienfeld & Lohr's discussion of the hallmark signs of pseudoscience before reading the Rosen piece, which in and of itself is a fun read.

My stance: for PTSD, the data seem to indicate that EMDR is efficacious, but that the proposed mechanism (which has changed....drastically...repeatedly) does not appear to contribute to the outcome. The notion that EMDR has a strong evidence base in the treatment of any other diagnosis goes beyond the scope of the available data.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to expand on this. In practice, you will see many different types of intervention, but they can be broken down into groups. Below are some of those groups. I'll try to expand on them later...

You have Evidence Based Therapies, usually with multiple studies to back up their outcomes, the best compare to waitlist, alternative generally recognized therapy, and some form of placebo.

On the darker side of things you have therapies that fall into the categories of Unscientific/Pseudoscientific and Scientific but Not Indicated by Research.

In the Unscientific/Pseudoscientific category you have your Energy therapies that generally can't be tested or that you have to "believe in."

In the Scientific But Not Indicated By Research categories you have NLP, EMDR, and others that make claims about the way something works that are testable, but despite the ability to be tested have not shown been evidenced as having a valid mechanism of function.

EMDR psychotherapy has been empirically validated in over 24 randomized studies of trauma victims. It is considered one of the three treatments of choice for trauma (along with CBT and PE) by organizations such as ISTSS (International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies), American Psychiatric Association American Psychological Association, Dept of Veteran Affairs, Dept of Defense, Departments of Health in Northern Ireland, UK, Israel, the Netherlands, France, and other countries and organizations.

See Foa, E.B., Keane, T.M., Friedman, M.J., & Cohen, J.A. (2009). Effective treatments for PTSD: Practice Guidelines of the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies New York: Guilford Press. EMDR was listed as an effective and empirically supported treatment for PTSD, and was given an AHCPR “A” rating for adult PTSD.

Last summer the World Health Organization invited me to peer review draft mhGAP WHO guidelines in the area of PTSD, acute stress and bereavement. Since then, these guidelines have been finalized by the Guidelines Development Group of external experts and approved by the WHO Guideline Review Committee. As one of the reviewers on their panel of PTSD experts who spent a year poring scrupulously over all the research, I am able to share their guidelines with you.

First, the WHO description of EMDR for PTSD:
"Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) therapy is based on the idea that negative thoughts, feelings and behaviours are the result of unprocessed memories. The treatment entails standardized procedures that include focusing simultaneously on (a) spontaneous associations of traumatic images, thoughts, emotions and bodily sensations and (b) bilateral stimulation most commonly in the form of repetitive eye movements. Like CBT with a trauma focus, EMDR therapy aims to reduce subjective distress and strengthen adaptive cognitions related to the traumatic event. Unlike CBT with a trauma focus, EMDR therapy involves treatment that is conducted without detailed descriptions of the event, without direct challenging of beliefs, and without extended exposure."

Here are WHO's "guidelines on problems and disorders specifically related to stress." (In press):
“Individual or group cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) with a trauma focus, eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR), or stress management should be considered for adults with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD).”
"Individual or group cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) with a trauma focus or eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) should be considered for children and adolescents with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)."

In addition, as noted in the American Psychiatric Association Practice Guidelines (2004, p.18), in EMDR “traumatic material need not be verbalized; instead, patients are directed to think about their traumatic experiences without having to discuss them.” Given the reluctance of many combat veterans to divulge the details of their experience, this factor is relevant to willingness to initiate treatment, retention and therapeutic gains. It may be one of the factors responsible for the lower remission and higher dropout rate noted in this population when CBT techniques are used."

And, unlike CBT or Prolonged Exposure (PE), without any homework between sessions. The lack of the necessity for detailed descriptions of memories is a major benefit for survivors or war trauma, as well as survivors of any violence.

The Department of Veterans Affairs & Department of Defense's 2010 VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guideline for the Management of Post-Traumatic Stress placed EMDR in the category of the most effective PTSD psychotherapies. This “A” category is described as “A strong recommendation that clinicians provide the intervention to eligible patients. Good evidence was found that the intervention improves important health outcomes and concludes that benefits substantially outweigh harm."

So you can continue to believe the detractors, like Lilienfeld & Lohr, or others that were cited on this site (all research from around 1999) or look at subsequent research such as:
SAMHSA’s National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (2011) http://nrepp.samhsa.gov/ViewIntervention.aspx?id=199

"The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) is an agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). This national registry (NREPP) cites EMDR as evidence based practice for treatment of PTSD, anxiety, and depression symptoms. Their review of the evidence also indicated that EMDR leads to an improvement in mental health functioning."

And, see Arabia, E., Manca, M.L. & Solomon, R.M. (2011). EMDR for survivors of life-threatening cardiac events: Results of a pilot study. Journal of EMDR Practice and Research, 5, 2-13.

“Forty-two patients undergoing cardiac rehabilitation... were randomized to a 4-week treatment of EMDR or imaginal exposure (IE)... EMDR was effective in reducing PTSD, depressive, and anxiety symptoms and performed significantly better than IE for all variables... Because the standardized IE procedures used were those employed in-session during [prolonged exposure] the results are also instructive regarding the relative efficacy of both treatments without the addition of homework.”

And, note, for a diagnosis other than PTSD, see Wanders, F., Serra, M., & de Jongh, A. (2008). EMDR Versus CBT for children with self-esteem and behavioral problems: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of EMDR Practice and Research, 2, 180-189.

"Twenty-six children (average age 10.4 years) with behavioral problems were randomly assigned to receive either 4 sessions of EMDR or CBT. Both were found to have significant positive effects on behavioral and self-esteem problems, with the EMDR group showing significantly larger changes in target behaviors."

Re: mechanism of action, see Lee, C.W., Taylor, G., & Drummond, P.D. (2006). The active ingredient in EMDR: Is it traditional exposure or dual focus of attention? Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, 13, 97-107.

"This study tested whether the content of participants’ responses during EMDR is similar to that thought to be effective for traditional exposure treatments (reliving), or is more consistent with distancing which would be expected given Shapiro’s proposal of dual focus of attention. Greatest improvement on a measure of PTSD symptoms occurred when the participant processed the trauma in a more detached manner, which indicates the underlying mechanisms of EMDR and exposure therapy are different."

For the most up-to-date research, see <http://www.emdr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12&Itemid=18>

Respectfully,

Dr. Patti Levin

Last edited:
EMDR psychotherapy has been empirically validated in over 24 randomized studies of trauma victims. It is considered one of the three treatments of choice for trauma (along with CBT and PE) by organizations such as ISTSS (International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies), American Psychiatric Association American Psychological Association, Dept of Veteran Affairs, Dept of Defense, Departments of Health in Northern Ireland, UK, Israel, the Netherlands, France, and other
countries and organizations.

While I have to admit my post wasn't incredibly well worded (I'm going to go out on a limb and put half of the blame on Tramadol), I think most of the people here note that those lists I mentioned aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Something can have no clear mechanism of action and still be very effective. Hell, we still don't know exactly why placebos are so effective for such a wide range of ailments.

The point that most of us have is that EMDR has theoretical underpinnings that haven't been supported by basic neuroscience research. The fact that it is so similar to exposure therapy with some blending of other behavioral techniques makes us question why they would feel the need to charge clinicians out the rear for training.

"This study tested whether the content of participants’ responses during EMDR is similar to that thought to be effective for traditional exposure treatments (reliving), or is more consistent with distancing which would be expected given Shapiro’s proposal of dual focus of attention. Greatest improvement on a measure of PTSD symptoms occurred when the participant processed the trauma in a more detached manner, which indicates the underlying mechanisms of EMDR and exposure therapy are different."

This is genuinely interesting, but still one could adapt this to traditional treatments and not buy into the EMDR bandwagon.

For the most up-to-date research, see <http://www.emdr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12&Itemid=18>

I started looking at that last night, and I found it (again) interesting. What bothers me about the research is that proponents of EMDR seem to grasp onto the research that supports their argument while ignoring the research that opposes the basic mechanism of action. Where I get weary is when the basic mechanism of action for something that claims to be based on neuropsychological principles isn't clearly indicated by core research.

I'm not sure that we disagree nearly as much as your post would seem to indicate.

As you and I both said, the evidence that EMDR is efficacious for PTSD is strong. The question remains the mechanism of action. You provided the following quote:

"This study tested whether the content of participants' responses during EMDR is similar to that thought to be effective for traditional exposure treatments (reliving), or is more consistent with distancing which would be expected given Shapiro's proposal of dual focus of attention. Greatest improvement on a measure of PTSD symptoms occurred when the participant processed the trauma in a more detached manner, which indicates the underlying mechanisms of EMDR and exposure therapy are different."

Without a LOT more methodological information, I have no idea how that supports the proposed mechanism of action in EMDR. More importantly - and this goes back to the Rosen article - the proposed mechanism has changed consistently throughout the past several decades as research has failed to support mechanism after mechanism. Processing in a "distanced" way is not a mechanism of action.

Dismissing Lilienfeld and Lohr as "detractors" seems counter productive. They are as careful and forthright as it comes with respect to the evaluation of scientific evidence. Indeed, one of the points they make about pseudoscience (and you can see similar things in articles like Pignotti's description of her saga with thought field thereapy; Pignotti, 2009) is that when individuals struggle to refute empirical data that counters their position, they shift their focus to critiquing the source (e.g., labeling them something dismissive so as to make their point seem less legitimate). Whatever somebody thinks of them as scientists, the most important thing they can do is read and discuss their work within the context of its strengths and limitations.

Yes, the citations I provided are all from a special issue of the Journal of Anxiety Disorders published in 1999. I would love to hear a discussion of the contents of those articles that goes beyond the date of publication. I don't think anyone here is going to dismiss the validity of classical conditioning simply because Pavlov didn't conduct his experiments last week. Old data that have since been refuted are not valuable. Old data that have not since been refuted often represent critical moments when important points are illustrated that stand the test of time. Perhaps these don't....but let's discuss the data that point to that being the case instead of quoting committees and labeling folks.

As far as the citation you provided for the efficacy of EMDR outside of PTSD goes: I admittedly haven't read the citations (but will do so). That being said, I'll refer to Chambless and Ollendick's description of the requirements for treatments to be considered evidence-based at various levels.

I agree with all the "detractors" here. In general, clinical psychologists know squat about neuroscience, to be frank (and I cant stand it when they talk neuro junk that they don't really know much about). So pardon me if i don;t take their word about "neuroreprocessing", or whatever. Pa-leeese.

We already have a very parsimonious explanatory model for PTSD with 2 treatment based upon it that works perfectly well. There is no need to neurobabble about it...

Even if EMDR's mechanism of action does actually matter, how is paying so much money for those trainings justified when exposure works just as well and doesn't require hundreds of dollars to learn?

"Without a LOT more methodological information, I have no idea how that supports the proposed mechanism of action in EMDR. More importantly - and this goes back to the Rosen article - the proposed mechanism has changed consistently throughout the past several decades as research has failed to support mechanism after mechanism. Processing in a "distanced" way is not a mechanism of action."

It occurs to me that all theoretical approaches involve some degree of "reprocessing" and "distancing" of past experience in the sense that clients learn to relate to them in different ways. Certainly, clients can't walk away their past experiences but must instead learn to create new meanings interpretations of trauma for themselves. When I went through ACT training this was described as the whole point of therapy, to essentially develop a different meta-cognitive approach to one's internal experiences. Even humanistic and psycho-dynamic therapies, have similar distal goals. So this underlying mechanism would appear to be a common factor rather than a mechanism specific to EMDR.

Last edited:
I agree with all the "detractors" here. In general, clinical psychologists know squat about neuroscience, to be frank (and I cant stand it when they talk neuro junk that they don't really know much about). So pardon me if i don;t take their word about "neuroreprocessing", or whatever. Pa-leeese.

We already have a very parsimonious explanatory model for PTSD with 2 treatment based upon it that works perfectly well. There is no need to neurobabble about it...

But, but that neurobabble sounds like REAL science. And don't you know mental illness is *just like* diabetes and all, so that must mean psychotherapy is just pointless talking? ;)

(sarcasm, obviously)