your thoughts on independent pharmacy and pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrBonita

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been working on weekends at an independent pharmacy for 10 years. The owner has a few shops but he has a nice set up. We fill about 70-100 a day and I get plenty of help. He gives me 2 cashiers and 1 technician. I sit on a couch and watch tv while the staff does everything. After the script is filled to completion, the tech brings the drug to me and I take a break from browsing the web or watching tv to check the script. Sometimes I have to go consult but 80 percent of the scripts are refills and don't need consults. The only drawback is I get paid only 40 bucks an hour. He is a longtime friend so I accept the low wage. Do you think its time for me to ask for more. I hardly do anything there but watch college football on saturday and nfl football on sunday and the day goes by fast because he has premium cable services so the entertainment is nice. There's also all you can eat chips and soda.

Members don't see this ad.

at CVS that low volume will get u 1/2 technician. not 1 full technician, but 1/2...! and watching tv or surfing the web? that can get you fire or transfer out of this planet.

Reactions: 2 users
If its just a weekend job I would never leave that environment...also leading me to believe you have another job during the week? You're basically being paid to watch sports in a stressfree job

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the chips. If it's Doritos then $40/hr is fair. But, if it's Lays or some off-brand crap then you absolutely are getting shorted.

Reactions: 4 users
It sounds like you are getting paid to do what most people do for free. I'd be fine with it, personally.

Reactions: 3 users
You ask for more $$ then you should expect less Tech help. Simple equation!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
$40/hour seems more than fair for that workload. As mentioned, if you're interested in being paid more, it might be more justifiable to take over the technician duties...with such a low volume of work, a pharmacist alone could run the place without a technician. That could justify passing on the technician's pay to you.

At the end of the day, do not ask to take over the technician's duties. They couldn't pay you enough to take the job of two people.

And besides, scrubbing the technician maybe nets you 55 an hour to run an entire pharmacy alone? Sounds terrible.

And besides, scrubbing the technician maybe nets you 55 an hour to run an entire pharmacy alone? Sounds terrible.
Terrible? More like typical. At that volume, most chains will have you working alone on weekends.

$40/hour seems more than fair for that workload. As mentioned, if you're interested in being paid more, it might be more justifiable to take over the technician duties...with such a low volume of work, a pharmacist alone could run the place without a technician. That could justify passing on the technician's pay to you.
Pharmacists in chains that staff alone on certain days are regularly able to handle Rx volumes of >100 a day - not that they'd want to, but it's completely doable. With 2 cashiers and the workload OP is describing, it's completely feasible. 2 cashiers will likely still handle the brunt of the work. Cashiers can practically do everything a techinician can except pull medications and fill prescriptions. Of course, it's down to OP's value judgement on whether the increased workload is worth the increased pay, but it would be up to him to present either cost-neutral option for the pharmacy owner or to take on some job function that will lead to an improvement in performance of the business to justify increased pay.

Can't tell if this is a troll post or real. Like everyone else said... At a chain, with even larger script volume, you get 1 tech (which is also your cashier).

Ever had one of those times where you realized you should just keep your mouth shut and enjoy what you have? This is one of those times, OP.

Isn't this the same guy making like 78/hr at Kaiser in Cali? Some people have all the luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did 330 rx with 1 tech and 1 cashier on some weekend shift. It's bs. Lucky it's all OT.

Terrible? More like typical. At that volume, most chains will have you working alone on weekends.

yeah, but that's not OP's situation. Between scrubbing the tech and getting 15 bucks more or keeping the tech..... No brainer.

Chains will also do a lot of other awful things, but that's somewhat irrelevant to this case, isn't it? If OP was at a chain and asked about negotiating for higher pay, we'd just laugh and ignore this thread.

Thanks for the replies. I will not ask for more dough. I got paid 40 when I first started and stayed with this job cuz it was chill and easy money. Its been ten years and no raise. No need to ask for more dough based on everyone's reasoning that if I do, I might lose the tech doing all the work. Carpe diem.

yeah, but that's not OP's situation. Between scrubbing the tech and getting 15 bucks more or keeping the tech..... No brainer.

Chains will also do a lot of other awful things, but that's somewhat irrelevant to this case, isn't it? If OP was at a chain and asked about negotiating for higher pay, we'd just laugh and ignore this thread.
You said getting paid $55/hr to fill 70-100 rx by yourself is terrible. I'm sure there are 1000s of rph that do that and more every weekend. I don't dispute that he should keep the tech. I am disputing your claim that working alone would be "terrible."

at CVS that low volume will get u 1/2 technician. not 1 full technician, but 1/2...! and watching tv or surfing the web? that can get you fire or transfer out of this planet.

Ummm at walgreens...you'd be by yourself handling drive-thru, answering phones, blood pressure tests, ringing people up...oh yea don't forget all of your regular rph stuff.

Can't tell if this is a troll post or real. Like everyone else said... At a chain, with even larger script volume, you get 1 tech (which is also your cashier).

Most likely a troll. He said in another thread that he works for Kaiser Permanente making 200k a year (78 an hour) and works 5-10 hours of overtime there a week. That plus this weekend gig at an independent pharmacy would mean he works 7 days a week. I call BS.

Do you think its time for me to ask for more. I hardly do anything there but watch college football on saturday and nfl football on sunday and the day goes by fast because he has premium cable services so the entertainment is nice. There's also all you can eat chips and soda.

Are you seriously wondering if you should ask for a raise? Your lucky you get $40...

This sounds like my dream job. I'll take a paycut for a decently paying job where I don't actually have to do any work.

Most likely a troll. He said in another thread that he works for Kaiser Permanente making 200k a year (78 an hour) and works 5-10 hours of overtime there a week. That plus this weekend gig at an independent pharmacy would mean he works 7 days a week. I call BS.
I only work 2 weekends a month for my per diem gig. I do work a lot because my work environment is nice. I can listen to podcast/audiobooks and verify orders at my weekday mail order job and weekend job, I can watch cable TV. Seems like a lot of work but its easy when you keep doing it and get use to it. I use to study 12 hours a day , 7 days a week while in college and that really prepared me to work many hours when I finished school.

I always wondered how those indept pharmacies make a profit. They answer the phone when I call. No annoying answering machine. They are helpful too.

I always wondered how those indept pharmacies make a profit. They answer the phone when I call. No annoying answering machine. They are helpful too.

The same way CVS and Walgreens do...the difference is the independant owner/pharmacist cares about his business. Your average corporate retail slave pharmacists could care less mostly because they are exhausted working long shifts with too little staff. Secondly because it's not their business and they get paid the same no matter how much or how little they do.

As long as my pay isn't effected I could care less

That's the company's problem

I grabbed this from another post to illustrate my point.

The same way CVS and Walgreens do...the difference is the independant owner/pharmacist cares about his business. Your average corporate retail slave pharmacists could care less mostly because they are exhausted working long shifts with too little staff. Secondly because it's not their business and they get paid the same no matter how much or how little they do.

I grabbed this from another post to illustrate my point.
When I call the chains, a machine answers with numbers I can choose from and then I have to wait to get a human. This is not the same at the independent pharmacy I work with.

When I call the chains, a machine answers with numbers I can choose from and then I have to wait to get a human. This is not the same at the independent pharmacy I work with.

Last a checked there are different departments in a chain. Would you prefer the up front clerk answer all calls then transfer you to the pharmacy?

If it wasn't for those options, we would be getting 30 calls per hour with 29 of them being "I need a refill, here's my rx number..."

If it wasn't for those options, we would be getting 30 calls per hour with 29 of them being "I need a refill, here's my rx number..."

Don't worry this is the same person who prescribes based on what coupon reps give him.

I'm not questioning that. I'm just relaying the differences I see.And in both places someone certainly cares about profit or they won't be able to stay open.

Same thing when you call a hospital or a clinic as compared to a family doctor.

Even family docs have machines

Sure, just like some independents that are busy. They have an automated phone system too. But the majority of them, like family doctors, don't. They have 1-2 secretaries who answer the phone immediately and allow for quicker resolutions of issues (refills, drug changes, PAs...).

Sure, just like some independents that are busy. They have an automated phone system too. But the majority of them, like family doctors, don't. They have 1-2 secretaries who answer the phone immediately and allow for quicker resolutions of issues (refills, drug changes, PAs...).

I must say I am very grateful for offices that have secretaries.

Here's the question, what would you rather have a place with an automated phone line or a place that sends everyone to an answering machine and you never know when you'll get a call back. Those are the worst offices.

I must say I am very grateful for offices that have secretaries.

Here's the question, what would you rather have a place with an automated phone line or a place that sends everyone to an answering machine and you never know when you'll get a call back. Those are the worst offices.

Different places have diferent methods. I don't have a preference. I don't dictate people's lives or how they work.

If I call Kaiser or a medical center, I will know ahead of time it will be hard to reach them. I'll notify the patient to reset his/her expectations. Then I will prioritize my work where I'll call where that won't hinder my workflow.

But if I"m calling a local doctor who I know will pick up the phone and respond ASAP, I'll call right away.

There's no right or wrong way. That's just how those places are set up.

For thFor
Different places have diferent methods. I don't have a preference. I don't dictate people's lives or how they work.

If I call Kaiser or a medical center, I will know ahead of time it will be hard to reach them. I'll notify the patient to reset his/her expectations. Then I will prioritize my work where I'll call where that won't hinder my workflow.

But if I"m calling a local doctor who I know will pick up the phone and respond ASAP, I'll call right away.

There's no right or wrong way. That's just how those places are set up.
For those of us with our own business, not on a salary, tho makes a big difference

or
For those of us with our own business, not on a salary, tho makes a big difference

I understand that. But retail pharmacists don't control how a corporation operates. Just like how a doctor/nurse/secretary... don't control the medical center or huge clinic they work at. It's busy. You should know that. You can't expect to reach the pharmacist in a second if they're having multiple waiters and consults and flu shots, esp. when there isn't any pharmacist overlap. Your call isn't more important than a waiter antibiotic or a sick child or a consult about someone's flu-like symptoms. If we're not busy, we will pick up the phone and respond to your needs ASAP. And vice versa.

There are ways for you like say if you want to send something to CVS
1) Electronically send your prescription with MD notes. Urgent? Say it is. Want us to call patient when ready. Put it in the notes. If PA requires, put in notes how to best contact you: fax, phone...
2) Leave a voicemail

And if those options don't suffice, maybe send your patients to a low volume chain store or an independent.

Indi's are the best way to add supplemental income, and in your case OP, extra inches to your waist.