Your thoughts please...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mazhar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe this is a US grad predominant forum, but i thought i might be able to find some help here so decided to post anyway! :xf:

Before I start, I just want to say that i know this is an extremely stressful time for all IMG's...including myself, and by this post i dont mean to step on any toes. just looking to these forums for some reassurance...

so, i graduated in 2008, have 2 USCE with excellent LOR's am a US citizen, have 96/96/pass all first attempt...no publications.

ranked 12 programs on my list....mostly community/UA programs...half of those interviews i felt went well, as in they 'liked' my personality and communication skills...the other half maybe good, but probably just ok.

so now that the list has been picked up by the R3 system, im really starting to stress about whether i will match or not...so anyone experienced enough can u please comment on my chances...im asking cuz i know how competitive it is now, so im just worried whether i should seriously start prepping for the scramble...
and please dont quote the nrmp match statistics of yesteryear...ive been thru them and frankly, they're irrelevant to our current situation.

ONCE AGAIN, im not trying to boast or feel better about myself, just looking for some outside input.

thank u very much. goodluck for the match everyone! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

1.this post is like calling a consult from the ED and not having a pointed question to ask them....sort of like calling them up and asking "is the patient going to live or die" without giving them information. You gave us the pure basics but there is not enough in there for us to add anything.

2. we dont even know the field you are applying to...or your true situation.

3. You only have 19 days. trust in the world and hope and wait like we all are:rolleyes::scared:

good luck

ps. why are the nrmp stats not helpful anymore? They have more accurate info about whether you will match than we do..

Im sorry, i forgot to mention...im applying to categorical IM.
I understand the vagueness of my post, but that was intentional...sort of...i just want an idea that a candidate with these details and so many calls stands how much of a chance of matching...unlikely, likely or highly likely.

As for the nrmp stats, i just feel that every year its getting more competitive and an individual assessment of my situation would probably be more beneficial than a collective metanalysis of thousands.

Thanks.

Ziauddin medical university, karachi

Lets just say i applied to ALOT of places :) how about urself...ure an img from where? How many ranks did u put on ure rol?? Details...lol

Not to spread fear and paranoia, but it would probably be wise for everyone--both applicants and programs--to have a scramble plan. I know I was caught flat-footed when it happened to me on the program side, and I've seen my share of surprised and devastated medical students who had no idea they didn't apply broadly enough. It's a deer-in-the-headlights moment and every moment is precious.

Expect the best, prepare for the worst. Get your documents together to submit on ERAS, a lap top to send and monitor emails, and a couple of friends who can help you fax and place calls so that your phone is free when a PD calls you. If you match--no worries, just go celebrate!

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by applying broadly enough? Does that mean multiple specialities or different tier programs within my speciality of choice...
Thanks.

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by applying broadly enough? Does that mean multiple specialities or different tier programs within my speciality of choice...
Thanks.

Don't apply to JUST the MGH's, Hopkins', UCSF's.. make sure to have a few backups (just like you did for college/medschool)

Thanks.

It could mean either or both. Unfortunately, the term often can't really be defined until the disappointing Match result becomes realized and the applicant has time to reassess his/her application strategy. For what it's worth, it's the same on the Program side. When we didn't fill, we said that we "didn't interview broadly enough" and I had to reassess every application we received that year to determine trends in interview offers vs declinations.

Thanks.

Different tiers within Internal Medicine. A broad range, not just all located in one region of the country.