YouTube Video Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arijos0222

"The Opportune Moment"
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR4D5jJAZJ8

How common is this position? Because this is way more awesome and more patient-contact oriented than I pictured pharmacy... Which is the back of Walgreens.

Members don't see this ad.

Cool video. :thumbup: There are all kinds of clinical specialties..some where you get to sit down one-on-one with patients, some where you would go on rounds with physicians, or otherwise manage the patient's drug regimen. You would have to complete a PGY1 and PGY2 residency to do something like her position. I googled PGY2 transplant residencies and the pharmacist from the video is the residency director for her hospital: http://accred.ashp.org/aps/pages/directory/residencyProgramInformation.aspx?ID=208799 So, no it's not all Walgreens, but I am hesitant to say these jobs are 'common' as you have to make yourself extremely competitive to get a residency after graduation to even start on the path to becoming a pharmacist like this.

According to BLS, 23% of pharmacists work in a hospital setting..there are a great deal of general outpatient and inpatient pharmacists under that umbrella though, not just 'clinical pharmacists'. (http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Pharmacists.htm#tab-3)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR4D5jJAZJ8

How common is this position? Because this is way more awesome and more patient-contact oriented than I pictured pharmacy... Which is the back of Walgreens.

Sounds awesome, but I've heard that those jobs are literally <1% of pharmacists. I'd say it's a bit more than that, but not by much. If only there were more jobs like that!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you start a residency at any point in time? Like you've been practicing for 2-3 years and you want to go into residency... Is that plausible?

Can you start a residency at any point in time? Like you've been practicing for 2-3 years and you want to go into residency... Is that plausible?

From what I've heard is that to an extent..yes, you can, but the caveat being..where have you been working since then? If you've been working at Walgreen's, your clinical skills may be getting rusty. Retail pharmacists have a totally different skill set of being able to field all kinds questions and multitasking. I think I have heard pharmacists on this board saying that 3 years is probably the absolute cap of being able to go back and do a residency. Also, as a resident, you'd be making only about 1/3 to 1/2 the amount you had been previously making, so it's harder to go back. Also harder to get back into a school mindset, because as a resident, they'll have you doing a bunch of projects in addition to your work hours..

From what I've heard is that to an extent..yes, you can, but the caveat being..where have you been working since then? If you've been working at Walgreen's, your clinical skills may be getting rusty. Retail pharmacists have a totally different skill set of being able to field all kinds questions and multitasking. I think I have heard pharmacists on this board saying that 3 years is probably the absolute cap of being able to go back and do a residency. Also, as a resident, you'd be making only about 1/3 to 1/2 the amount you had been previously making, so it's harder to go back. Also harder to get back into a school mindset, because as a resident, they'll have you doing a bunch of projects in addition to your work hours..

How hard is it to actually do a residency? Because that lady's job is uber-awesome.

How hard is it to actually do a residency? Because that lady's job is uber-awesome.

My GF actually had Dr. Haag as a preceptor for one of her 4th year clinical rotations. Those jobs aren't really that prevalent, but I think that is mainly due to how pharmacy is currently billed (no real insurance reimbursement for MTM). I would expect that sometime in the future they will be more common, especially if the government gets involved and starts recognizing what Pharmacists bring to the table.

Edit: to answer your question more directly.. a residency is typically not the most fun thing in the world. The residents at our hospital get paid what some of our techs do (as a tech I actually make more than our residents since I've been here a few years). Not only that, they don't get paid for working on the weekends. So you kind of get taken advantage of. It's a 1 year commitment and the work really isn't that hard (aside from the extra hours you'll have to put in and grunt work you'll be assigned).

Oh and just wondering...

I have a neighbor who's a pharmacist who is a oncology pharmacist I think? ( not entirely sure ) and I live about 50 minutes from NYC and 30 minutes from Newark. I heard that pharmacist can't find jobs near metropolitan areas? But she just moved here from south carolina and well... I don't live that far from the city... any explanations? I would ask her but I don't know her that well.

Oh and just wondering...

I have a neighbor who's a pharmacist who is a oncology pharmacist I think? ( not entirely sure ) and I live about 50 minutes from NYC and 30 minutes from Newark. I heard that pharmacist can't find jobs near metropolitan areas? But she just moved here from south carolina and well... I don't live that far from the city... any explanations? I would ask her but I don't know her that well.

Obviously I can't speak for all metropolitan areas, but overall the prospects aren't bad here in MN. Of course we are one of the few states with only 1 pharmacy school. Some of the states with multiple pharmacy schools (I always hear a lot of bitching from CA folks) seem to have over-saturation problems in the cities. I'm sure there are still good prospects out in less populated areas, but since most people want to live in or near the city, that is where you are going to find more competition. Specializing in a certain area (like your neighbor) would probably help.

Obviously I can't speak for all metropolitan areas, but overall the prospects aren't bad here in MN. Of course we are one of the few states with only 1 pharmacy school. Some of the states with multiple pharmacy schools (I always hear a lot of bitching from CA folks) seem to have over-saturation problems in the cities. I'm sure there are still good prospects out in less populated areas, but since most people want to live in or near the city, that is where you are going to find more competition. Specializing in a certain area (like your neighbor) would probably help.
Just keep in mind, today's prospects aren't the same as they'll be four years down the road, and Illinois and Wisconsin have lots of new schools with graduates getting ready to head wherever needed to find jobs...

Just keep in mind, today's prospects aren't the same as they'll be four years down the road, and Illinois and Wisconsin have lots of new schools with graduates getting ready to head wherever needed to find jobs...

They can certainly head wherever they are needed.. but MN has some of the toughest requirements for those attempting to get licensed here. Diploma mill school grads will not find it as easy to become established here as they will other states. Also no one can tell how things will be in 4 years from now. Things can change rather quickly. 4 years ago my GF was offered a $20k sign-on bonus for a retail pharmacy. If you plan your life according to current trends my guess is you aren't going to be a very happy individual.

Dont listen to this guy, most negative person on here:laugh:

How rural or "suburban" are we talking about here?

As in, upstate Poughkeepsie, NY?

That's absolutely ridiculously far from cities...

Dont listen to this guy, most negative person on here:laugh:

Truly, I'm not. I am a serious realist though. I just don't think you are a credible information source, though you seem to position yourself as such.

How rural or "suburban" are we talking about here?

As in, upstate Poughkeepsie, NY?

That's absolutely ridiculously far from cities...

I couldn't say.. sounds like things can be vastly different from one state to the next, and I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess that far away from where I'm located.