Zaitsev's rule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimcath2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I was watching Chad's video (part 2-2) and noticed that one of Detroyer questions is not following the Zaitsev's rule.

Chad specifically said that the anti-Zaitsev's rule ONLY applies to tertiary halide with a bulky base. but on Destroyer (Jan. 2009 edition), #100 has secondary halide with a bulky base and the double bond folded to the less substitute side (anti-zaitsev's rule). Can someone please confirm with me which one's correct?:confused:

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys.

I was watching Chad's video (part 2-2) and noticed that one of Detroyer questions is not following the Zaitsev's rule.

Chad specifically said that the anti-Zaitsev's rule ONLY applies to tertiary halide with a bulky base. but on Destroyer (Jan. 2009 edition), #100 has secondary halide with a bulky base and the double bond folded to the less substitute side (anti-zaitsev's rule). Can someone please confirm with me which one's correct?:confused:

Thanks!

Hey kimcath2,
There was a really long thread (see link below) on this awhile ago that you're free to read. The synopsis in the end is that Chad was right. But it's a little tricky as some textbooks even have discrepancies on this one issue.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=657765&highlight=zaitsev+t-butoxide