Zanki Question [Transitioning b/w blocks]

CaptainZeki

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey yall,

Is it recommended to suspend all cards in a block before moving onto my next block?

For example, I just finished microbio/integumentary block and wanted to suspend all cards from that block as the Heme/Lymph block starts today. Thoughts? Best practices?

I am thinking to suspend all derm cards so there's not a whole lotta review each day from a prior block

Members don't see this ad.

That's the exact opposite of what you should do. The idea is to retain everything you've learned over time. Consider that it's far easier to maintain knowledge than to relearn it.

Reactions: 1 user
That's the exact opposite of what you should do. The idea is to retain everything you've learned over time. Consider that it's far easier to maintain knowledge than to relearn it.

Ok I’ll keep the reviews. Is there a way to do my heme cards first (current block) and then derm cards second (prior block)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I’ll keep the reviews. Is there a way to do my heme cards first (current block) and then derm cards second (prior block)?

The only way I know of is by just going by deck. So do the heme deck, and then the derm deck. You used to be able to do it with the Hoochie Mama add on, but they haven't updated it with the latest version of Anki.

Custom filtered decks has helped me in this instance. We had a biochem (foundational class) last fall and I had around 2,500 Anking cards from there, and we had our Heme/Onc block that ended last week that has roughly 1,500 cards. So I rebuild a filtered deck every day that has cards from these 2 blocks. Then when I am done with those, I do my current block (Immunology) reviews and then get to my new material. As complete blocks, I will keep consolidating the reviews that way when I am reviewing, it is honestly more enjoyable because I get an assortment of cards instead of just going through heme, then biochem, etc. Hope this helps.

I haven't used ANKI in a long time. But, when I did it, I suspended all cards after the block was done. I set a once in a month review session, in which I just scanned through the cards in the previous blocks. That doesn't take long, and is much more efficient and pounding through repetitive cards day after day without a life.

I use the system some guy posted on his website (forgot his name). I have a deck called Current which has the stuff for my current module and then another deck called Combined Review that has all the previous cards from past modules. that way for example on the morning of an exam I can just do the cards in my current deck that are relevant to that exam

Reactions: 1 users
I use the system some guy posted on his website (forgot his name). I have a deck called Current which has the stuff for my current module and then another deck called Combined Review that has all the previous cards from past modules. that way for example on the morning of an exam I can just do the cards in my current deck that are relevant to that exam
This system works really well, and you can modify your intervals based on whether you are doing review cards or learning new material. Just make sure that you have completed your "learning" steps before you move cards to the Review deck or you will reset those cards.