ZeroGPT flagging my personal statement for 100% AI written

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happybay_premed

Reaction score
So my buddy was playing around with ZeroGPT and I threw my personal statement in there for fun. Come to find out it says my entire first paragraph is 100% written by AI and the rest of the essay has little to no AI. I saw that medical schools will be using AI detectors this cycle more that previous ones and will reject applications that they suspect is using AI. Am I at risk of getting red flagged/rejected for this? I didn't use any AI for editing so I was super confused when it highlighted the entire first paragraph(mind you this whole paragraph was my experience of being hospitalized when I was 12 y/o, so I thought that wouldn't be able to be generated by AI.

Members don't see this ad.

We're done learning to write, so I don't see why programs would care about using AI. If I were in charge I'd ding students who didn't use AI to speed up their workflows, check their grammar, find better word choices, etc... For the rest of your life you will never be without an AI-assistant for writing. I'd be shocked if more than 50% physicians are writing their notes de novo in even 2 years. Likely you'll just spitball stream-of-consciousness into your phone/computer after seeing the patient and an AI will parse through it and write the note. Then you'll edit as necessary.

I could completely understand wanting students to avoid AI on the wards during M3 and M4, because you are still building those skills. However, for writing personal statements AI enhances the final product and enables equal opportunities (vs. people using expensive essay-writing/editing services). If residency programs are screening for AI in applications they are really wasting everyone's time.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
However, for writing personal statements AI enhances the final product and enables equal opportunities (vs. people using expensive essay-writing/editing services).
I’d imagine the number of applicants who pay for professional essay writing services is negligible so whatever “gap” you believe would be bridged doesn’t necessarily exist.

Not to mention, ZeroGPT is not some rigorously tested tool. It often even flags professors' syllabi as AI written.

I’d imagine the number of applicants who pay for professional essay writing services is negligible so whatever “gap” you believe would be bridged doesn’t necessarily exist.
Eh, there are tons of these services out there as part of decent-sized med school tutoring/consulting companies. Someone is paying for them. I can't imagine paying $600 for some ortho resident to peruse my personal statement in their free time, but if people didn't do it then it would be a much more niche market. Maybe it's more popular among FMGs who are worried about poor grammar or cultural insensitivities.

A better example is probably the support network of wealthy vs. poor applicants. Wealthy applicants very often have well-educated siblings or parents reading/proofreading their essays.

I found ZeroGPT to be 99% wrong in this situation. I had chatgpt write a story about my brother in law, a physics PhD who went to Law School because he was unable to get a tenured position in academics. I submitted this story to ZeroGPT and it said 99% unlikely to be written by AI.